Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cold Wimp
Quote | Reply
So it is starting to get chilly here.... let me just get this out there I am a cold wimp. My toes and fingers freeze on a ride and I am looking for a couple suggestions.

Gloves -
Shell or Jacket -
Socks or shoe covers -

There are a million items out there just looking for a quick suggestion. Usually never below 40 degrees for the most part.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Wimp [RN86314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me too, just purchased two sets of running tights and looking for the best cold weather gloves.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'hell yeah', what a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Wimp [curtisboyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following. I'd like to know too what the best base layers are for cycling/running. Anything that can cross over well between the two?

http://trismashley.blogspot.com
Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing. -Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you gloves and shoes aren't too tight, or they get cold fast. I personally bought heated gloves, not cheap but I keep riding to -20C and my hands get cold at 0. I also bought some winter/water proof cycling shoes. Fully sealed up, so your feet do get damp, but so far they are fine for at least 1.5 hours.

I liked the old style neoprene shoe covers, but they aren't really en vogue these days and those thin ones self destruct really fast, IME.

Jacket? I wear a rain coat with a fleece liner underneath. The key is to keep the wind out. This keep me commuting and riding all winter long. A balaclava helps as well.

Silk and wool are the best fibers for staying warm. Fleece is not bad.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd get some gloves that have a hard shell outer to block the wind. That's probably the most important thing. Same for a jacket. Something that has a good wind blocking capability will help. I've found that tri shoes are somewhat miserable in the winter as they're all highly ventilated. Neoprene covers seem to help quite a bit for me when combined with wool socks.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothings makes a brilliant sunny but cool or cold damp day, a miserable experience on a bicycle. Especially when it does not have to be. As the saying goes there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

So I say invest properly and enjoy some fun fall or early spring riding (If you live in non snow locations even winter riding).

I live in So Cal, so my sense of Cold is relative. But Early AM on PCH in February or night or early AM rides before sunrise can be in the 40's.

First thing forget the toe warmers (They are ugly, get in the way, do half of the job, and scream I am a triathlete who cannot ride a bicycle outside of a straight line). Get full on neoprene booties. No one has ever complained about their feet ever getting too warm. I like selections from Castelli (Narcista or Diliuvo) the best but I have a pair of Capo ISO Neoprene, as most of my cycling kits are one or the other of these 2 brands.

Gloves same thing and I hate wearing gloves and only do so when it is cold out.
Castelli Extremo's for Cold 35 to 55. I did IM Tahoe with a pair of these and it was 37 degrees when we got out of the water.
Capo Piemont (My faves) 40 to 55. these are my go to's typically for the winter Sat rides since I will only have them on for about 35 min on the flats, and on descents. They store in the back gear pocket on climbs or as the temp increases.

Next dress in layers and arm and leg / knee warmers

Baselayers. Get 1 with windstop. This will keep you warm without resorting to having to wear lots of bulky garments.
Vest. Same as windstop base layer, but you can open up for venting. Great if you are doing a lot of climbing open on the way up vent / zip up on the way down.

Arm warmers. Fleece is good. Capo Roubioux is the best IMO.

I typically do not go long sleeve jersey or jacket until it is really cold or I am riding at night or VERY early AM. I only wear these if I KNOW for a fact I will not overheat. Otherwise they are bulky, make you sweat to much and then you still get cold. Nalini makes one that I like where you can zip the sleeves off and turn it into a vest.

I hope that helps.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Wimp [HiImRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah i think i need to get some "winter" shoes. My tri shoes are too tight to run anything but thin socks just being able to wear wool socks i think would help my toes. Good call on the hardshell for gloves. I have used cheepies from target and i may as well use nothing because the cold air goes right though them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40s? Seriously? Long sleeve jersey and a wind breaker. Anything long legs on the bottom, or just shorts and leg warmers. Any kind of gloves. That's all you'll need.

To stay a little more comfy add on a skull cap that covers your ears, and shoe covers (or just really warm socks if there's enough room in the shoes).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, you're lucky. I think of 40F as the dividing line between 'can ride as long as you want' and 'actually cold.' At 40, I'd wear:
gloves- not necessarily cycling specific. These are what I'd grab from my closet:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75619
jacket- either a nylon wind breaker or a softshell jacket. For example:
http://www.rei.com/product/826563
http://www.rei.com/product/852904
feet- a pair of neoprene booties is the key. The cheap and ugly ones from Performance seem to be popular. Make sure they're plenty big!
head- I use a buff often, it fits under a helmet. Or a skullcap that covers the ears.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Wimp [markharms234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the input... I did warn you i am a wimp in the cold! I usually end up freezing or way too hot.... ill grab a few of these items and give them a shot! Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Wimp [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
40s? Seriously? Long sleeve jersey and a wind breaker. Anything long legs on the bottom, or just shorts and leg warmers. Any kind of gloves. That's all you'll need.

To stay a little more comfy add on a skull cap that covers your ears, and shoe covers (or just really warm socks if there's enough room in the shoes).

Yeah, I could only wish for 40's today! It was in the low 20's with a much lower windchill on my ride into work this morning. Had lots of layers on:
  • merino wool socks
  • neoprene boots over regular cycling shoes
  • knee warmers
  • fleece lined tights
  • thin long sleeved wicking shirt
  • medium layer thermal shirt
  • cycling jacket - the kind that looks like a jersey but are much thicker
  • fleece vest
  • balaclava
  • gortex ski gloves

Much colder and I would have gone with the plastic grocery bags over feet in shoes trick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had this exact same inquiry but regarding running gear...any recommendations? (im in NYC, but I'm mexican so anything under 45 is cold with 30s being MUY PINCHE FRIO). thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run indoors and look out the window. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Wimp [chiquipartner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every winter I see a couple versions of wind-blocking underwear. Something like this: http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/thermal-wind-boxer/210329.html

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an equal wimp in a cold pool, so I understand. I'm sure your local running/biking store has similar products to the ones I listed that you can try on. I listed those two jackets as examples of types of jackets you might find useful- a windbreaker type jacket ( but not Gore-Tex laminate type, those don't work so well for running/cycling, we sweat too much) and a 'soft-shell' type jacket, which doesn't need to by cycling-specific. I did buy those gloves exact gloves from LLBean (they have free shipping and I'm sure you could find a $10 off coupon with some digging) they're good for the price, but I only get about 1.5 years out of them, and their biking sweet spot for me is the low 30's, so they may be a little warm for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move to Australia, 150km north of Sydney we average 17c (60f) as our max and rarely dip below 5c at night (40f), Although i still do feel cool as it's all relative to what you get used to.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Wimp [tom1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom1111 wrote:
Move to Australia, 150km north of Sydney we average 17c (60f) as our max and rarely dip below 5c at night (40f), Although i still do feel cool as it's all relative to what you get used to.

Try Tasmania (you know.. where Tassie Devil comes from). Its "spring" here and we had snow 2 weeks ago.

To the OP - take up mountain biking and stop being a pussy, you'll end up loving the cold conditions!! Plus the "interval" training on a MTB is great for off season work outs. Plus you get to buy a new bike ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But how's the skiing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never Below 40F ? Ride naked you candy ass <pink>.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Wimp [curtisboyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curtisboyte wrote:
me too, just purchased two sets of running tights and looking for the best cold weather gloves.

The absolute best cold weather gloves are the brown cotton gloves from Home Depot or Lowes. The cost $1.50 pair and keep your hands warm down to 20 degrees. Buy 6 pair and throw them in the wash after each run.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the ultimate cold weather wimp and I have spent a lot of money on different equipment to beat it. Not much works for me, especially with my terrible circulation to extremities. Here are my favourites:

Jackets: Just bought a Castelli Gabba jacket and it is nothing short of incredible for wet and cold weather. If put thermal base layers on and the Gabba on top, I can do 0-5C and wet for a while without chill. The Castelli Diluvio (same neoprene material) gloves are good for the wet as well. If the temp is too much below 0C for my commute I just wear a big bulky down ski jacket. It slows me down but that is a good thing to limit wind chill.

Gloves: For really cold days the neoprene ain't gonna cut it. Even Pearl Izumi's lobster gloves left my hands numb below about 2-4C. I went with a mountaineering mitt from Black Diamond called the Mercury Mitt. With the removable waterproof shell these things are absolutely impenetrable to cold. Without the shell they are good to -5C. Bulky and pricey but the only glove that has ever worked for me and my terrible circulation.

Feet: I would try a dedicated winter cycling shoe. All the neoprene covers and wool socks in the world can't keep my feet warm for more than an hour below 0C. Something like the Pearl Izumi Barrier winter shoe is on my wish list, I've heard good things. I would definitely buy a half size big to accommodate mondo wool socks without constriction.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Cold Wimp [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helliquin wrote:
tom1111 wrote:

Try Tasmania (you know.. where Tassie Devil comes from). Its "spring" here and we had snow 2 weeks ago.

Compared to the Northern Hemi, Tasmania is positively balmy, Hobart which is our southern most capital averages 11c (50f) in July with minimums rarely dipping below 5c (40f). Where as the North American posters are already putting up with temps of -10c in places like Chicago in November, even the "alpine" region in Aus is warmer than most inland cities in the USA.
Last edited by: tom1111: Nov 18, 14 16:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markharms234 wrote:
But how's the skiing?

The skiing is pretty terrible with a very short season, but it's a short flight to Japan or New Zealand and probably not that more expensive to fly out and ski.
I'm fairly certain we don't have any resorts located in an area that has sub 0c (32f) maximum temperatures.
EDIT

Actually we do :) at 1700m altitude Mt Hotham just scares under at -0.1c in July.
Last edited by: tom1111: Nov 18, 14 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the lobster style gloves. And throw a hand warmer in there and it's good. I've also worn neoprene gloves some and they work pretty well too, but don't get them too tight, allow room for the sweat to heat up to keep you warm...same concept as wetsuits.

For feet I usually put socks on, put plastic produce bags around my feet, shoes on w/ shoe covers or at least toe covers. Fortunately my feet don't get as cold as my hands, because I need the hand warmers in temps below 40 for my hands.

You can sometimes use the hand warmers a second time depending on how long they were used. Just put them in ziplock baggie and get all the air out, they will stop working until they are exposed to air again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tom1111 wrote:
Helliquin wrote:
tom1111 wrote:

Compared to the Northern Hemi, Tasmania is positively balmy, Hobart which is our southern most capital averages 11c (50f) in July with minimums rarely dipping below 5c (40f). Where as the North American posters are already putting up with temps of -10c in places like Chicago in November, even the "alpine" region in Aus is warmer than most inland cities in the USA.

I just didnt want people from Northern Hemi getting the wrong idea that the whole of Australia is a tropical paradise. Based in Hobart myself, been OWS for the last 2.5 months... its not cold here at all.

Side note: wonder how many people from Hobart are on ST... should catch up for a yarn!
Quote Reply

Prev Next