Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold Water Help
Quote | Reply
I am doing a Tri tomorrow and the swim is in Lake Michigan. The water temp. has dropped over 20 degrees in the last week and is hovering right around 50F. I have a full wet suit and a neoprene cap but the water is so cold I am still concerned about my face, feet and hands. Particularly my face. Its so cold it hurts. You get a brain freeze like when you drink a frozen drink to fast and its hard to keep your face in the water. Any last minute suggestions to help with tomorrow? Thanks Norm
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Help [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just make sure you get in and swim a little before the race starts. Don't think you can just wait until they say go and start your swim. You have to get your body past that initial shock mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wear two swim caps...the more insulation on your head the warmer...you will be surprised how it helps your whole body.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Norm,

I've never done this, but I would if I were in your shoes. Cover your face, feet, hands, etc. in Crisco vegetable shortening, Manteca (Pork Lard), Vaseline or something like that. A high-fat, non water soluble gel-type substance. Swimmers that swim the English Channel sans wetsuits slather their bodies in it. They do it for a reason.

Good luck and have a great race!

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Help [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I got three replies and and used all the advice. The race organizers must have realized the potential problems because they shortened all the swims to 350m and instead of having one start like last year they had waves and counted people and gave directions to raise your hand if your in trouble. Then they left us( the first wave )standing in the water longer than it took to swim the 350m. Anyway the double capping pre start submersion and Crisco on my face and tops of feet helped a lot, no pain at all. Plus now I can say that my wife slatered me in Crisco. Thanks again, Norm
Quote Reply