Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff!
Quote | Reply
While shopping for breakfast at a neighborhood grocery store, I picked up some coffee, but not just any coffee. It's POWERCAFE. French Roast coffee with Yerba Maté. It tastes like a gourmet coffee should plus the yerba maté gives you a continued extra boost without the jittery side effects of coffee. Check it out at http://www.powercafe.com/.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff! [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried their Jamaican Blue? It's so hard to find decent JB here in the states. Most of it's a blend and overpriced....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff! [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to roast my own coffee. It really isn't any harder than making popcorn. In fact you can roast coffee in a hot air popcorn popper with great results.

Buying green coffee cost about 1/3 to 1/2 what pre-roasted coffee costs, plus you get the benefits of having fresh roasted coffee whenever you want it. Green coffee stores considerably longer than roasted coffee.

It's pretty fun ordering green coffee, since there are so many choices. Sweet Marias (http://www.sweetmarias.com) has a lot of information if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff! [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for the link! I may give that a shot. Blue Mountain at $18/lb. sounds pretty darned good. What do you use for a roaster?

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff! [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I haven't tried Jerimiah's Jamaican Blue. I did check their web site and theirs is a blend as well.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff! [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered some of their JB. I also ordered some of Haystack's recommendation which sounds like some wierd stuff. I'm a coffee addict, which probably explains why I'm still up at 3:28 a.m. EST. :),

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When this post first came up, I ordered some right away. Yep - good stuff, but is anyone seeing any heart rate antics with it?

For years, I have had a cup of coffee before training early in the morning. The caffeine probably helps, but the biggest value seems to be in the "transition" time it allows between a nice bed and mile repeats in the dark. I have had the Yerba Mate' several times this way, and I think I'm seeing a pattern where my heart rate is higher than normal for the rate of exertion involved. I've been trying different coffees lately so I'm not sure, but I do know that after the Yerba Mate' this morning my pace was normal and my HR certainly was not.

Ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff! [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about whatever this other stuff in the coffee is, but caffeine will elevate your heart rate. Probably not to worry if having a cup or 2 of joe before your workout every morning is your normal routine and when you tested your lactic threshold or maximum HR you also had that same cup of coffee. But if you have either had more than you usually do or did not test your HR under similar conditions (morning/noon/night, caffeine/no caffeine, rested/fatigued, etc.), the results and analysis thereof will be confounded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Coffee Fiends"

Dictionary definition of fiend:1 a person or people of great wickedness, 2 addict.

I'll admit it, You used the word very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I saw the title of this thread, I was expecting you to be hawking that Colombian Weasel-Poop coffee.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff! [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since my original post I've researched Yerba Maté (or Maté for short) a bit more after seeing the beautiful Brooke Burke touting it's many benefits on a segment of Wild On...something South American. This stuff is everywhere in Argentina, Uraguay, Paraguay and Brazil. Check out http://www.noborders.net/mate/index.html for more info. This stuff seems to have some great health benefits as it's a tea. Check it out, I'm getting stoked just reading about all the health benefits!

As for your increased heart rate, here's a snippet from the website mentioned above about Maté and it's cardiovascular effects:

CARDIOVASCULAR EFFECTS

Heart Ailments of all kinds have been treated or prevented through Yerba Mate use. Yerba Mate supplies many of the nutrients required by the heart for growth and repair. In addition, it increases the supply of oxygen to the heart, especially during periods of stress or exercise. Mate has become a favorite of body builders and anyone interested in the health benefits of exercise. The metabolic effects of Mate appear to include the ability to maintain aerobic glycolysis (breakdown of carbohydrates) during exercise for longer periods of time. This results in burning more calories, increasing cardiac efficiency, and delaying anaerobic glycolysis and the resulting buildup of lactic acid during exercise. Reports of Mate reducing blood pressure are not uncommon.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff! [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Life's to short to drink "Colombian Weasel-Poop coffee." Whatever that is. Yuban, perhaps?

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff! [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, G. I did, in fact, look up the definition while writing my original post. Am I sick or what? I use a dictionary to post on slowtwitch. Perhaps that's what makes this forum stand above all the rest!

Kramer on Seinfeld said that the cocoa bean was the dark master. I disagree. The coffee bean is THE dark master. For those of us who know, we find out just how enslaved we truly are every day we go without it. That gnawing headache that pulls us back to the dark liquid of addiction. Geez, this stuff is bad, but it tastes so good. Strange.

Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay I ordered some and got it yesterday. I don't drink coffee every day just before races and BT training sessions. I have a "B" race on Sunday so I'm a little worried about trying it for the first time because I've never had yerba mate before. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee fiends, you gotta try this stuff! [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
short answer - never try anything on race day that you haven't tried with BT workouts before if you want the highest possible assurance of a good performance. This is especially true for nutritional changes, but equally true with your equipment like wetsuits, aerobars, pedals, shoes, etc.

but.... if you don't mind the possibility of it having negative effects and want to see how your body responds in race conditions, then try it and make sure you control all other factors related to your race so that you can accurately assess its costs and benefits.
Quote Reply