Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure but I think Coeur d'Alene 70.3 was the first US race to offer slots to WC in Chattanooga. Anyone have any idea how many slots were allocated to M30-34 and if any of the slots rolled?
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a qualifier for this year's 70.3 WC in Australia:

2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Coeur d'Alene offers 30 qualifying slots for the 2016 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz4DXrCq0YL

The first Qualifiers for 2017 WC are this weekend at Muncie and Vineman and both have 50 slots, so same breakdown as for IMs with those numbers. Likely 3-4 in M30-34. Doubtful there will be much rolldown for slots from 70.3s in US for the next few months.
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerkin2000 wrote:
Doubtful there will be much rolldown for slots from 70.3s in US for the next few months.

This.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do people suddenly care about doing the 70.3 worlds now?! All the races I've done, they pretty much give spots away to whoever shows up at the awards ceremony
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
Do people suddenly care about doing the 70.3 worlds now?! All the races I've done, they pretty much give spots away to whoever shows up at the awards ceremony

Totally depends on the timing & distance between races.

Last edited by: japarker24: Jul 5, 16 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:

Because the last couple years have been completely unrealistic for most American athletes. Traveling to Austria and Australia is really expensive and time consuming.....but, conversely, traveling to the US from those places is too.....so it needs to move around to be "fair". But anytime the 70.3WC's are not in the US, US athletes aren't going to give a shit about them. Chattanooga spots will go REAL fast in the US.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But I recall them 'giving' spots to anyone who wanted one, even when the worlds were in Clearwater and Vegas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly not male 40-50, even when in Austria and Australia. Still generally needed to finish top ~10% to get a rolldown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
But I recall them 'giving' spots to anyone who wanted one, even when the worlds were in Clearwater and Vegas

I think you are right, but times have changed. I had heard no one really liked the Clearwater venue. I personally thought the Vegas venue was crap.

Absense makes the heart grow fonder. As mentioned above, with the race being on other continents the last two years (and back in Europe in 2018) a crap ton more people are focused on Q'ing for Chatt 2017.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
friesen wrote:

I think you are right, but times have changed. I had heard no one really liked the Clearwater venue. I personally thought the Vegas venue was crap.

Absense makes the heart grow fonder. As mentioned above, with the race being on other continents the last two years (and back in Europe in 2018) a crap ton more people are focused on Q'ing for Chatt 2017.

Apparently they were giving them away in Victoria....I saw a guy post on his Instagram that he got a spot and I looked up his result: 82nd in the 35-39 with a 5:28 (with a shortened swim) and he took one. (slow clap)
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Victoria was one of the last qualifying races for the 2016 70.3 WC in Australia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
friesen wrote:
As mentioned above, with the race being on other continents the last two years (and back in Europe in 2018) ......

Have I missed something? Is the bold true? Isn't South Africa still one of the 3 finalists?

Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Have I missed something? Is the bold true? Isn't South Africa still one of the 3 finalists?

You didn't miss anything. Just speculation on my part that it will end up in Europe.

But my point is still that Europe or South Africa ain't 'Merica

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calgary 70.3 which was the 2-3rd race for 2017 WC had almost no rolldowns. A few rolled one spot but in many cases all were claimed by the qualifiers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
friesen wrote:

This, really the last three years were non-US as many people skipped Mont Tremblant in 2014 too. I can fly to Chatt for $250. I blew off Austria and Australia due to cost alone. Did I read Budapest will get 2018? The race here in 2017 may be it for many US athletes for another couple of years.

I expect it to be competitive to get a slot. And the 50 slot races so far are not doubling your chances in the larger age groups. Why? Broader AG representation and deeper participation in younger and older AGs. The math is getting diluted. We had people in the 70+ categories last week and the under 30 crowd was bigger than normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene 70.3 WC Roll Down [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Did I read Budapest will get 2018? The race here in 2017 may be it for many US athletes for another couple of years.
Well, one of the finalist with France and South Africa. If they keep the current rotation then 2019 would be in Asia (hard to think it would be in any other country than China).

So that means the next 70.3 WC in the US won't be until 2020 (and could possibly be in Mexico or Canada that year instead).

3Aims wrote:
I expect it to be competitive to get a slot. And the 50 slot races so far are not doubling your chances in the larger age groups. Why? Broader AG representation and deeper participation in younger and older AGs. The math is getting diluted. We had people in the 70+ categories last week and the under 30 crowd was bigger than normal.

Yeah, Muncie had some AG participation numbers that I thought were odd as well. More guys in 45-49 than 40-44, never seen that before.

Quote Reply