Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cockpit: carbon vs alu
Quote | Reply
The stock base bar on my new TT bike (P2) is pretty crappy and uncomfortable, so I'm looking at changing it.

I'm a big believer in the 'buy quality or buy it twice', so looking to upgrade to a decent front end, extensions and all.

I'm tossing up between carbon and aluminium.

I don't care about bling (although a neat and tidy setup would be nice), and a few grams here or there isn't going to make a huge difference to me.

I would have thought that a carbon cockpit would absorb road buzz better than aluminium, which I see as the main advantage. You really feel every bump when in the aerobar position.

However, the thought of catastrophic carbon failure (which has happened to a guy I know on a roadbike and has put me off carbon road handlebars forever) is a pretty scary one.

So the main questions are:
1. Do carbon TT bar setups absorb vibration significantly better than aluminium?
2. Do carbon TT bars fail more, or less than carbon road handlebars?

Have done a quick search, but not found anything on the forums to date.
Quote Reply
Re: Cockpit: carbon vs alu [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road buzz can just as likely come from crappy tires or wrong tire pressure, and I've had an aluminium bar fail on me pretty catastrophically (as in one half breaking off just next to the stem clamp, without doing anything weird or hitting anything)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.) no, or at the very least not that you will be able to notice.

2.) most of those failures on either are going to be caused by incorrect installation or treatment. Same can happen for aluminum, steel or whatever, but it's more common for people to ham fist tightening a stem bolt and damage carbon.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have thought that a carbon cockpit would absorb road buzz better than aluminium, which I see as the main advantage.

When you are in position, the bars have near zero ability to flex and absorb anything. If you have a carbon stem, that might make a difference.

Carbon and aluminum can both break catastrophically, but metals at least have ductility and usually give you some advanced warning. If you pay attention.

IMO there is no good reason for $1000 carbon bars for TTs, unless you are really at the bleeding edge of "price is no object". The same thing can be made out of metal for a lot less cost.

Quote Reply