Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clydesdale build vs. Regular wheelset
Quote | Reply
I am looking to buy a used wheelset and found just what I am looking for (FLO 60/90). Only problem it is a clydesale build and I am only 170lbs. What is the major difference and how much does it impact the performance of the wheelset? Any help would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdale build vs. Regular wheelset [Dtblack101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dunno about Flos specifically, but with others like Zipp & Hed the clydes just have more spokes. Marginally heavier, and I suppose slightly more drag at higher yaw, but mostly intended to be stiffer laterally so you don't have issues like brake rub when sprinting or climbing out of the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clydesdale will be stronger and probably stiffer. I'd go for that if you like to get out of the saddle and put down some big watts from time to time. Or roll on rougher roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdale build vs. Regular wheelset [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As previously mentioned. It's like a heavy duty version so it can handle more weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let me know if you don't buy em.... i will
Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dtblack101 wrote:
I am looking to buy a used wheelset and found just what I am looking for (FLO 60/90). Only problem it is a clydesale build and I am only 170lbs. What is the major difference and how much does it impact the performance of the wheelset? Any help would be appreciated.

All of our front wheels are the same (standard or clydesdale), so there will be no difference with the front wheels.

The rear wheel are different in the following ways.

Standard build: 24 spokes, 2 cross build both drive and non drive side. Rated up to 198lbs.

Clydesdale build: 28 spokes, 3 cross build both drive and non drive side. Rated up to 242lbs.

The weight difference between the two is about 40g, and the Clydesdale build will be stiffer an have less chance of coming out of true or having a spoke break. It will give up a very small aero benefit.

In all honesty, if the price is right, I'd buy the. The clydesdale will work perfectly fine.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdale build vs. Regular wheelset [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timely post, thanks!

Just got spousal approval for some new wheels and I'm hoping to get in on Order 19 next month for a 60/90 clydesdale build. I'm not that heavy (180-185), but I figured they'll be more durable.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdale build vs. Regular wheelset [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kula wrote:
Timely post, thanks!

Just got spousal approval for some new wheels and I'm hoping to get in on Order 19 next month for a 60/90 clydesdale build. I'm not that heavy (180-185), but I figured they'll be more durable.

Cheers!

Not a problem. Glad I could help.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply