Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Closing Half IM to IM Time Gap - I have limited time
Quote | Reply
So, year one is out of the way, completed one half and one full, half 5.40 full 13.30

I'm pretty sure that I could have gone 10-15 minutes faster in the half, if I only hadn't stopped to read a book in transition or whatever I did to kill 10-12 minutes, or had not ridden for 7 hours 2 days before and the course were a little easier

The full - I could have ridden harder but given I started walking at 30k, I think I'd only have started walking earlier

I have limited time, about 8 hours a week ordinarily. Though for the last 3 months I can increase it to double or more and I am able to take a week or so for a big week.

So in the last year I did about 450 hours, 200 bike, 200 run, 30 swim and 20 other - an approximation

My best run in training was 30k in 2 hours 30 and best swim was the half in 34 minutes (the full swim was the same pace through the first lap and then I obviously got lost as I dropped 12 minutes from the pace)

So I want to bring my full IM closer to a half capability of 35, 2.40-45, 1.45 plus transitions and I'm a long way off that.

Committing more time to my swim makes little to no sense - I started swimming 3-4 months out and I could double my efforts and reap maybe a minute or two so not a good ROI, I think the runs the same, I'm not fast but spending more time running still won't prevent me from cracking at 30k and starting to walk - I went through 27k at the IM at 4.15 pace and finished with a 4.45 I think

So I think I need to change the balance of my hours and move much of the running to biking and for that time to be spent committed to increasing my FTP and to do that i think it needs to be intervals spent in the sweetspot e.g. 2*20 or more to get the best return on investment that I can

So, I am thinking of taking my 8 hours a week and doing one run, one swim and 6 bike / week. If a bike were 2*20, it could be 5 w/u, 2*20 2 wd and then a transition run, but I simply don't have the time to be looking at substantially more than the 8 available until next March.

Is focusing entirely on sweetspot FTP raising workouts likely to deliver the best ROI? my useful ideas came from this thread

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Quote Reply
Re: Closing Half IM to IM Time Gap - I have limited time [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I agree that the bike fitness is the overriding factor for success in long-course triathlon, I would say it's a mistake to stop running regularly. I like the advice from Gordo Byrn on maintaining a minimal base fitness year-round:

http://www.endurancecorner.com/Gordo_Byrn/athletic_option_value

Frequency is more important than either volume or (even, really) intensity for running especially - your bones and soft tissue will not appreciate it if you go from 0 to 30mpw right at the start of your 3-month heavier training period.
Quote Reply
Re: Closing Half IM to IM Time Gap - I have limited time [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you read "The Triathletes Training Bible"? If not, i would start there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sticking with what you've been doing would be a better choice than cutting back to one hour of running/week. If you had to walk 12k of your IM marathon with the current training plan, things will only get worse when you back off on running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my first year as well, and our times are close, I was 5:15 for the 1/2, and 13:24 for the full. Transitions were worse than yours, if you combined them I used sufficient time to watch an episode of your favourite 1/2 hour sitcom.

Can't wait to hear what the more knowledgable STers are going to tell you; looking forward to the responses (I second the Triathletes Training Bible, and think you need to run more than once a week). For me the lowest hanging fruit right now is weight loss, I could stand to loose 20, maybe even 30 pounds.

Already decided I'm going to be using a coach come September.
Quote Reply