Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clip On: how to fit properly? EDIT: new bike fit
Quote | Reply
G'day all

Figured with 280 days to go til first IM I should probably get comfortable on aero bars. Sadly I do not yet have a TT bike so clip ons were my only option - unfortunately I have bugger all idea of how they should be properly set up.

I have fitted them best I could, went for a short spin on the trainer, made a few adjustments and did a 3 hour ride on the weekend just gone, most of it on the aero bars and not s**t my pants in cross wind so pretty happy.

Walked away with a few questions - see images below.

1 - My left hamstring just above the knee is tender. Strained I guess. Would my seat be too high (no pink..)? Never experienced pain down that low in hamstring before.
2 - I actually felt better sitting back further on the seat than is shown in the images, arms at greater than 90 degrees (ie: more stretched out) But in this instance, Im back behind the bottom bracket even further. Should I move seat forwards, get longer stem?
2a- If I stay as is - if i point my toes whilst pedaling, my knees hit my elbows.
3 - I might just not be used to it, but being so narrow with my elbows put a burn just behind the back of my shoulders/top of triceps. Do you start off wide and bring them in incrementally or just harden up and get used to it?
4 - Im also not low enough...(note - camera is horizontal from top tube, so I may be lower than it appears)

So apart from cleaning the crap out of my garage... What would you advise?

Thanking your collective wisdom in advance

Andrew

Last edited by: Helliquin: Sep 27, 15 20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Clip On: how to fit properly? [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all

Just checking if there were any recommendations out there? Or if anyone has suggested reading on the topic?

I'll get a chance to make wholesale changes and test on Friday so any advice you might have is appreciated

Thanks

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Position doesn't look terrible to me. I know jack shit about bike fitting, but it looks like you could stand to lose a few spacers in the stem and drop the cockpit. You're committing at that point to riding in aero or on the hoods, but that shouldn't be a problem. At that point you would also be able to shift the seat back slightly and open your hips up a little bit more which will help on the run. Just my completely uneducated and likely incorrect observations though so I don't go hurting yourself on my account!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hurt my right hamstring the first time I used aerobars, ended up lowering the saddle a bit and nudging it forward.

Once my hamstring healed I'd keep it at my road position height and put it forward a bit and it seemed to be fine (I was using a road position and TT positions alternately thru a season on the same road bike).

Disclaimer: I am not a fitter, this was just tinkering that seemed to work for me.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your knee angle is on the high side of "normal", try dropping your saddle ~5mm.

You said you feel better sliding back. Is this from a pedaling/power standpoint, or to get pressure more on your sitbones than taint?

You can get a lot lower by rotating forward, but that's the next step.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Clip On: how to fit properly? EDIT: new bike fit [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I was able to get a great deal on a TT bike - a BH Aero(light) Ultegra Di2, Rotor cranks, etc - $3400AUD ($2390USD). First ride yesterday and spent 3 hours trying to set it up to the best of my abilities. Unfortunately the bars that it comes with are not very adjustable (at all) so am limited to seat height and angle for the time being (new bars are being looked at asap)

See images below for a comparison on road bike with clip ons and TT bike... just a little lower.

At this point I'll be changing the seat and getting my proper pedals on it - and getting used to having the head at that angle, upper back/neck sure arent used to it!

Helliquin wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Clip On: how to fit properly? EDIT: new bike fit [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. World of difference between those two positions!

A first your seat looked a bit low on the BH, but that's just probably due to the running shoes.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply