Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Clavicle plate removal? [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a horrible injury. The sternoclavicular joint is an ugly mess of tendons and bone at the best of times. How did you do it?
Quote Reply
Re: Clavicle plate removal? [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow old thread... I was playing hockey at Iowa State, and was backchecking full speed and checked a kid at our goal line. It was a complete accident but his feet came up and clipped my and i went shoulder first into boards.

Heres the journal article for the procedure they did with pictures of me cut open.. kinda cool. But yeah i had to go to the University of Iowa Hospital because of the rarity of the injury. Needless to say with how good of a job he did i am going back to him for my PCL surgery this year.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2603349/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty cool pics and a good scar for the ladees. Good luck with the PCL op.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool pics, thanks for posting the link. Eventhough I have pre- and post-op x-rays of mine, I've always been curious what it looked like once they went in there to insert the plate/screws as mine was a double-displaced fracture with the clavicle in three separate pieces. Now I have a relative idea. : )

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Clavicle plate removal. Edit: Report [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to read about this -

I had my plate put in October 2007. Pre-op I was told 3 screws, post-op I found out surgery went long and I had six screws. Long and short is while it was obvious that one end of the break was tenting the skin (hadn't popped out though) what wasn't obvious was that the other end was pretty severly impacting into my trap.

I don't have any pain but sometimes I get a dull ache like I've had all day today. When I asked my doc about taking it out (2 months after I got it) he said that pain or if the screws were backing out was really the only reason to take it out. I personally don't know why but I don't like showing the scar. My fear with taking it out is I'm still playing rugby and if I remove the plate that will end that. Also with cycling I would like to keep it strong assuming like (almost) all cyclists I'll be in a bad wreck at some point.

This thread has made me wonder about it again though.
Quote Reply
Re: Clavicle plate removal? [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heres the CT scan images... well a picture of the ct scan held up to a light haha.

Quote Reply
Re: Clavicle plate removal? [jefferisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having same issues w/ plate and screws, irritated by swimsuit/jogbra/seatbelt, and have scheduled surgery to have the hardware removed.

I'm wondering about recovery time/resuming activities the second time around though?

Also wondering if the feeling came back in your arm after the plate/screws were removed? (Mine has been numb since first surgery, 18 months ago...).

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Clavicle plate removal? [groovychicSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my plate and 11 screws out on Dec 20, 2011 and was on the trainer by Dec 24, though it was only for an hour. Assuming the bone has healed the only thing holding you back from swimming is the wound fully healing, which should take about 4 weeks. YMMV.

Regarding the numbness, that's a surgical issue. They probably did not take the time or care to fully dissect the platysma muscle in the neck region and cut a brachial nerve which could lead to the numbness.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The removal surgery actually hurt more than expected. If I remember correctly, I took a week off and was out and running again after 7 days and swimming in two weeks. You have to be careful not to fall for about six months.
Numbness went away in about six months.

I have no regrets about having the plate removed. Scar doesn’t really bother me and nobody seems to notice it.
I did purchase an expensive scar fading cream and used it for about six months. Unfortunately, I can’t recall the brand.
Also, be sure to use good sunscreen on the scar...forever!

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jefferisr wrote:
The removal surgery actually hurt more than expected. If I remember correctly, I took a week off and was out and running again after 7 days and swimming in two weeks. You have to be careful not to fall for about six months.
Numbness went away in about six months.

I have no regrets about having the plate removed. Scar doesn’t really bother me and nobody seems to notice it.
I did purchase an expensive scar fading cream and used it for about six months. Unfortunately, I can’t recall the brand.
Also, be sure to use good sunscreen on the scar...forever!

Good luck.

Are you saying that the numbness that was present with the plate was no longer present with the plate removed? I thought the numbness was a function of the operation, not the hardware.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Clavicle plate removal? [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the numbness is from the surgery. I have had a couple surgeries that resulted in numbness. The numbness usually goes away in about six months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jefferisr wrote:
I believe the numbness is from the surgery. I have had a couple surgeries that resulted in numbness. The numbness usually goes away in about six months.

I'm five months out. The numbess has improved but still encompasses a larger are than I had hoped at this point.

Other than that, the only issue remaining is discomfort when I put a school bag or shoulder strap on.

I won't be removing my plate unless something changes a good amount.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Clavicle plate removal? [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
broke mine 5/1/12. 9 screws and plate Dr. told me the plate comes out in a year cause it can become like an arrow if i go down again and possibly puncture a lung or other organ like heart.
Quote Reply
Re: Clavicle plate removal? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bob! Sounds like a much speedier recovery than after the first surgery (which makes sense, since the bone is healed).

And will talk to my surgeon about taking better care of my nerves the second time around. ;)

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Again, sounds like it's easier to get back into training much faster after the second surgery. Also, great to hear that you're still happy you had the plate removed! I think I'll feel much more agile and "free" when it's out.

Wasn't too worried about the scar - although I've received conflicting info about whether they can cut along the original incision or have to create a new one/second scar (?) ... either way, figure it just makes me look like a tough chic. ;) (Although not quite as tough as with current visible plate and screws, lol.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I visited ST for a look-see and saw this thread and thought I would follow-up. I'm about 33 months out from the removal. I think if I had it do over I still would do it. On a 10 pt scale before the removal I'd say I was a 5. After the removal I'm up to a 7 with occasional days at 8. It may have something to do with being 55. It can still ache and limit the swimming. I nearly always feel it. Back in March I was seeing a new ortho for a Synvisc injection through the VA. He was reading my history and asked if I was the counselor-guy on a bike hit by a truck and ended up with a clavicle fracture. After I confirmed, he says, "I don't remember you but I do remember that clavicle. That was a nasty break. I was in the O.R. that day as a resident." It nice to be remembered, I think : )!
Quote Reply
Re: Clavicle plate removal? [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, yes, always nice to be remembered one way or the other!

Glad to hear that things are better and that you're still swimming, despite aches and pains. (And super to thrive after being hit by a truck, oy!)

Ok, so, survey says: 9 out of 10 folks still happier they had plates & screws removed! (Or something like this...)

Sept. 13th, here I come!

P.s. Perhaps a virtual 'say goodbye to the plate' party on the 12th? Ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The surgeon who did the removal used the old incision. He was a late 30 something with plenty of experience so it turned out looking much cleaner and smaller. The repair surgery was probably closed by a 1st-2nd year resident. Experience matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Clavicle plate removal? [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, not exactly true since it would take a one in a billion, play the lottery now shot to dislodge the plate and 9 screws so that the thing could become a "arrow."

However, if you crashed the plate can cause more damage to the bone and shoulder joint if it is in there.

Bob
Quote Reply

Prev Next