Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chrissie Wellington is racing again
Quote | Reply
Sort of...finished the 7 day Haute Route Alps today. Looks like an incredible event.
Last edited by: sinkinswimmer: Aug 31, 14 21:00
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is racing again [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. I would love to see her go against Mirinda Caffre in an marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She also rode the Étape du Tour back in July. Before the start she said that her big concern for the event would be if it rained on the descents, so coming down off the Tourmalet under a deluge must have fully lived up to her fears!
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is racing again [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:

Oh...I suspect she has little desire for going to the pain cave while running ever again. Seems like cycling was her strength so bike racing seems like a good fit.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my athletes (Arnaud on the forum) did it as well and got a picture with Chrissie. He posted a lot of pictures of the
event, which includes a TT up Alpe d'Huez, the Ventoux, and a whole bunch of really awesome climbs, with a finish on the
Promenade des Anglais in Nice. Hopefully I will convince him to write a report for the forum. Definitely considering it next year.
It seems that Chrissie was doing more for fun though.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is racing again [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there's three of them, geneva nice, turin north and the pyrenees I think

i was thinking about one of them

Sorry for your loss

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is racing again [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they change the course every year. So it's Switzerland, Alpes and Pyrenees. Definitely considering it for next year.

And thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of6LqccnNmg
Last edited by: Francois: Sep 1, 14 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is racing again [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I think they change the course every year. So it's Switzerland, Alpes and Pyrenees. Definitely considering it for next year.

And thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of6LqccnNmg

Yes...three events, Dolomites Swiss Alps, Alps and Pyrenees. 7 days. about 15 monster cols for each event. It must be incredible. Like fantasy camp for cyclists. But I believe the cost is going to mean I will have to drain my bucket list before I sign up. I hope they expand the events. They have added one new event each year. I would love to see them put something like this on in the states. I know we have the Vermont Challenge, Ride the Rockies, RAGBRI and such, but I dont think we have anything quite like what the Haute Routes are offering.

Back to Chrissie. What is amazing is that she shows up in some of their videos and of course in the results, but she is never mentioned by name. I just happened to see her in a video and checked results to verify it was really her. Emma Pooley was another name...IIRC she is a triathlete as well, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Julian Jenkinson is another name I saw in the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emma Pooley was world time trial champion as well as Olympic silver medalist in that discipline. Won a bunch of one-day races as well. Certainly one of the best women cyclists of the last decade. Trying to break into triathlon now. So, yes, a triathlete, but more known as a cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Haute Route Alps in 2013, and yes, it was amazing! Like racing 7 days in a row, while going from one breathtaking landscape to the next...

Climbs were the tough bit, with 20'000m d+ and 7 times above 2'000m, but descents ended up being the stressful part. You descent a lot, and as you want to keep up to avoid riding alone in the valley, you have to push it a bit, especially when it's fast or technical :-(...

Price is huge, but if you go with a team, you can save a lot on accommodation by having someone travelling with you taking care of the luggages, and booking on your own outside the organisation packages.

Still thinking about doing Dolomites in 2015 anyway...
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is racing again [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Oh...I suspect she has little desire for going to the pain cave while running ever again. Seems like cycling was her strength so bike racing seems like a good fit.

Well, she did hold the Kona marathon course record for a few minutes.
Quote Reply