Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
curious what you'd change with his position on his current bike.

Mat Steinmetz
http://www.retul.com

Hi Mat,

I'm looking at Craig's photo on IT, page 28. Basically head position could be improved. Hard to see from one photo, but I'd also experiment with the saddle slightly more forward, in order to open up the hip angle a bit. But again, hard to say for sure from one picture.

Paulo

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
Would you like to confirm? You can pm him if you like? I knew EXACTLY who you were and what you were trying to do. It's hard to forget asshats like yourself. Don't worry, you aren't alone. There are several of you on here that do not get the attention you need at home and have to revert to slowtwitch to get your fix.

I ABSOLUTELY believe that work ethic predicts your outcome. Yes, some people are naturally gifted athletes, but if they don't train hard, they aren't going to step in to a 140.6 race and win. Michael and Andreas train hard and their results speak for themselves.
\

Dude, I doubt we have ever interacted. If so, I don't remember doing it. I just remembered what you were saying back on this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Yeah, you're totally right. I don't get enough attention, so I come onto slowtwitch & contradict myself all the time, just to get attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He worked pretty hard at CdA to keep his head position and did a great job most of the ride. His natural tendency is to look down and we'll be looking at better helmet options...didn't have much time before this race to get it organized.

We've got the saddle jammed as far forward as it will go with the standard seatpost. He rides a forward position, but gets there in a similar manner as a UCI TTer. The hip angle is pretty open...we've switched crank lengths this year and it has helped. We've gone back and forth with stem lengths as well (he used the longer in CdA). Looking at the picture on IT, I think he's stretched out at high speed (which would close the hip angle some).

We're making small adjustments here and there, but I'm overall pleased with the position.

Mat Steinmetz
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one cares about the times at Hawaii, it is all about winning.

Bingo!

The win is the key thing at Ironman Hawaii. These days the time is almost irrelevant.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
Doesn't matter what Crowie runs, bikes, swims this year in Kona. The Raelert brothers will own Kona in 2011. Michael Raelert is an even better runner than Crowie. It wouldn't surprise me to see Michael turn in a Kona record this year.

yes, I don't know why the other guys going to Kona even bother to get out of bed to train each day knowing that the Raelert brothers are going to own Kona this year.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
don't know for sure on the position, haven't seen it lately.

but in kona I'd put an aero helmet on him and maybe that new orbea frame or one of the top 4 superbike frames.

this is just the speculation of a fan, not criticism or informed critique even =)

Mat Steinmetz wrote:
curious what you'd change with his position on his current bike.

Mat Steinmetz

There was a long article in (I think) Inside Triathlon a couple years ago on Alexander and his bike training. They did extensive testing on sweat loss vs. position vs. aero helmet, etc. He and his coach determined that the sweat loss using an aero helmet negated any aero advantage. It was a long testing process over several months. So, not sure an aero helmet would help him.

His position on the Orbea is very good. His coach commented on not being so comfortable on another frame.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [chicagoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly wouldn't judge Craig based on Macca's deep thoughts. He says things to use people to help him, like he did in Kona last year. I doubt people play along this year, not that Macca will be there. Going 8:19 in CDA for a win is much different than in the heat and winds of Kona. Especially in a race he just had to do to confirm his Kona spot. Would you go 8:10 in a tune up race when you are leading anyway?
You and Macca may be right about Crowie being a 8:19 Ironman, but in the Kona conditions it can win be a winning time. You also forget about how many times Macca blew up or screwed up in Kona. 2009 he cramped up. Was that a sign of a brilliant man? How about a stupid bike mechanical in 2008? Macca too is human.
Macca has proven himself as great, but not necessarily smarter than everyone else. Don't believe everything he says because he is Macca. He is human and has had his share of mistakes and learning time.
Yep, Crowie will need to ride better to beat the young pups. Just like Macca had to improve his swim time at Kona for last year and had to fix his cramping problems. Kona is so hard to get right and win. Twice is great for anyone.
No, I do not loath Macca. I have the utmost respect for him as an athlete and I believe that to be great you must have a big ego. I wish him well. However, I would not believe all he says because it worked for him once and sells books. Put things in some perspective and if you agree with him fine.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soooo, your saying the Shiv is no longer a top 4 superbike? Must be the reason they are laying around all over the shop floor.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [sdtrigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to hear the opinion of someone who has done an Ironman in under 9 hours.

-------------------------------

“He is happy whose circumstances suit his temper but he is more excellent who can suit his temper to any circumstances” David Hume
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he most definitely sacrifices at least 1 sec/km (3 minutes, 10 watts) and perhaps 2 sec/km (6 minutes, 20 watts) with his:

helmet choice
frame choice
wheel choice
tire choice
bottle setup choice

that being said, I understand the equipment choices of a professional athlete have 2nd and 3rd order effects that aren't directly related to race tactics or results, and that's fine.

I know a guy who lopped 5 minutes of his half IM bike times with some good choices, putting him squarely in the mix for top 5 slots in the pro peleton, which for him was the difference between cashing out and not at these races. For Crowie, those 10 watts could mean the difference between world championship and 2nd place, or more specifically finishing the bike with the group or not.... clearly it's a 1/10th of 1% kind of thing, but at those levels every .001 helps.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 as usual you are VERY frank with your opinions. I am interested to hear your comments r.e. Michael Raelert. Obviously he is a mega-gifted athlete who has absaloutly dominated 70.3 Distances over the last two years (in saying that I haven't seen him race this year in any US 70.3's).

However Michael entering Ironman kinda reminds of Macca doing the same in 2002. He was dominating the ITU circut and won his first Ironman in Australia. What happened at Kona tht year??? Now I am not by any means saying that the same will happen to him, but what I am saying is that lets not get ahead of ourselves and think Micael is unbeatable.

In regards to Macca's comments, I saw the results yesterday and had a little chuckle, pretty much exactly what Macca has been saying about Crowie. That is NO disrespect to him, he is a phenomenal athlete and I have a feeling this year without being the guy to beat (that destroyed any chance he had to make the deficit to Macca managable as he got no help from anyone in his group) he has a real shot at winning. Dont forget he was on a 2:36 Marathon pace until he mentally cracked at around the 35km mark when he knew he wouldn't win.

Quote | Reply
We'll see in IM Frankfurt on the 24th July!

I agree with you though... I've seen both brothers race (I live in Germany), and they're very quick. But Michael will give the first signs on the 24th July.

Another contender, who is never really on the radar on this forum, is Timo Bracht. He gave an interview on IMTalk recently. This year is the first year where Kona is his priority (in Germany, winning Frankfurt is almost like winning Kona from a publicity point of view) - hence not doing Frankfurt, but doing the earlier Lanzarote.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [cannastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I know what you are saying and remember Macca's debut at Kona, BUT I also didn't see him dominate the 70.3 series in the fashion Michael did. From what I have seen of Michael, he is even more dominating on the Mens side than Chrissie was/is on the womens side.

Michael also has something else that Macca didn't. Andreas knows Kona as well as anyone and is also Michaels coach. Andreas will prepare Michael for Kona both mentally and physically. Macca didn't have anyone that good or that close to him to prepare him in the manner in which Andreas has for Michael.

Michael is also as humble as they come. I know I may sound a little to confident in the guy, but damn folks. If you have ever seen the guy race in person, read about how he trains, or read what Macca himself thinks about the guy, educate yourselves. The guy is an animal and PLANS on not only winning Kona, but is training to finish sub 8 hours. I would bet my life no one else is training for sub 8.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
Would you like to confirm? You can pm him if you like? I knew EXACTLY who you were and what you were trying to do. It's hard to forget asshats like yourself. Don't worry, you aren't alone. There are several of you on here that do not get the attention you need at home and have to revert to slowtwitch to get your fix.

I ABSOLUTELY believe that work ethic predicts your outcome. Yes, some people are naturally gifted athletes, but if they don't train hard, they aren't going to step in to a 140.6 race and win. Michael and Andreas train hard and their results speak for themselves.

x2. Hardwork beats talent any day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
I am not the slightest bit worried about Michael. He will qualify. Andreas says Michael is better than he is and last time I checked, Andreas was pretty much on it.

Reminds me of Frank Schleck saying Andy is better. What happened in Andy's first Tour de France? Well, of course neither won as Carlos Sastre did, but Frank was 7min faster than Andy. Even though many claimed Andy was better that Tour (and he was faster in most stages), he lost 10min on one stage. I think Ironman is pretty similar, you can be very talented but for most (exceptions noted) it still takes experience to learn how to put a whole race together.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
every couple of years someone comes along who is supposed to be the second coming of christ in hawaii. theyre supposed to crush everyone and set prs...and it never happens. last time it was unexpected was luc van lierde and even some people back then expected it.

there is no doubt the raelerts are freaking awesome and i think great for the sport but until they win theres really nothing to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
Doesn't matter what Crowie runs, bikes, swims this year in Kona. The Raelert brothers will own Kona in 2011. Michael Raelert is an even better runner than Crowie. It wouldn't surprise me to see Michael turn in a Kona record this year.

x2

and for what it's worth, I thought Crowie rode the hell out of that course yesterday. He only gave up like 10 min to arguably the second best cyclist in the sport, put down a time that was as good as Michael Lavato's course record.

I predict a Kona run leg for the history books this year. Crowie and M. Raelert get of the bike together (ish) and then throw down a pair of 2:41's for the best World championships EVER!

or maybe Andy Potts wins it...
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [sdtrigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sdtrigeek wrote:
Soooo, your saying the Shiv is no longer a top 4 superbike? Must be the reason they are laying around all over the shop floor.

no, I am not saying that and believe you must be confused to believe I had implied that.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whenever I hear that I think "so change the stem"
or
"marketing"

=)

JSA wrote:
His coach commented on not being so comfortable on another frame.

Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [chicagoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure why the pile-on here on Craig.

His record at IMH is extraordinary. Whether you like it or not, this is the only race on the long distance side of the sport that really matters!

I had a ring-side seat for his two wins, and I must say it was interesting to watch it all unfold. Basically the bike leg for all the key favourites in the race and everyone save one or two who finished in the top 10 those years revolved around Craig. They all watched Craig and followed what he did on the bike. In both years deep into the bike there was a long line of up to 20 of the top Male pros, all riding in legal formation along the Queen K. In those two years the only ones who mattered and pushed it off the front were Leito and Faris.

Ironically, I think the seeds for Macca's win last year were planted the year before, when Macca had a sub-par day, but got to watch the dynamic of the whole bike ride for all the favorites revolve around Craig. He figured, strategically, one way to beat Craig is to put him on the ropes on the bike and put some time into him. But you need to do this at the right time on the bike, and you need to have some help. Last year Macca got the timing right, and he had some help in the form of Andreas Raelert and a couple of others.

Macca finished the bike with just the right time gap, on Craig, but without depleting his own resources too much, thus being able to still run a strong marathon. As it was Craig still ran very well, but clearly he had given up too much time on the bike.

After the pattern of the last few years, with possibly a slightly different cast of chararcters at the front, and a smaller race field ( 50 as opposed to about 100 men), I am predicting that we will possibly see something very different this year.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
youre 100% right...craig alexander's ironman resume is superb. no one seems to grasp that simple fact.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Not sure why the pile-on here on Craig.

His record at IMH is extraordinary. Whether you like it or not, this is the only race on the long distance side of the sport that really matters!

I had a ring-side seat for his two wins, and I must say it was interesting to watch it all unfold. Basically the bike leg for all the key favourites in the race and everyone save one or two who finished in the top 10 those years revolved around Craig. They all watched Craig and followed what he did on the bike. In both years deep into the bike there was a long line of up to 20 of the top Male pros, all riding in legal formation along the Queen K. In those two years the only ones who mattered and pushed it off the front were Leito and Faris.

Ironically, I think the seeds for Macca's win last year were planted the year before, when Macca had a sub-par day, but got to watch the dynamic of the whole bike ride for all the favorites revolve around Craig. He figured, strategically, one way to beat Craig is to put him on the ropes on the bike and put some time into him. But you need to do this at the right time on the bike, and you need to have some help. Last year Macca got the timing right, and he had some help in the form of Andreas Raelert and a couple of others.

Macca finished the bike with just the right time gap, on Craig, but without depleting his own resources too much, thus being able to still run a strong marathon. As it was Craig still ran very well, but clearly he had given up too much time on the bike.

After the pattern of the last few years, with possibly a slightly different cast of chararcters at the front, and a smaller race field ( 50 as opposed to about 100 men), I am predicting that we will possibly see something very different this year.

x2

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a long article in (I think) Inside Triathlon a couple years ago on Alexander and his bike training. They did extensive testing on sweat loss vs. position vs. aero helmet, etc. He and his coach determined that the sweat loss using an aero helmet negated any aero advantage. It was a long testing process over several months. So, not sure an aero helmet would help him.

His position on the Orbea is very good. His coach commented on not being so comfortable on another frame.

------------

That was me and we did this last year. We got a lot of good info, but it wasn't quite as extensive as you made it sound.

The moral of the story last year for Craig is...why would you abandon a strategy that has worked for you the previous years before it's been shown to you that you can win with it? If he would have changed all the things everyone is suggesting and still placed 4th, everyone would be saying, "why did you change what has worked the previous 2 years?"

We changed bike sizes last year...he was not uncomfortable on the smaller size. I'm not going to comment on any of the other equipment stuff right now...I was really only responding to jackmott when he said Craig's position on the bike needed work.

Check out the bike pics from IMCdA. Changes are happening...we are not ignorant, but some things are easier to change than others.

Mat Steinmetz
Quote Reply
Re: Chris McCormack is right about Craig Alexander [butch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
butch wrote:
youre 100% right...craig alexander's ironman resume is superb. no one seems to grasp that simple fact.

everyone grasps that fact. he is one of the all time greats.

but part of the reason craig gets paid is so we can watch and speculate.

and I speculate - what if he had a shiv and aero helmet, and cleaner bike setup -> could he have stayed with macca on the bike and won?

if this offends craig he seek solace in the fact that moron age groupers like me buy stuff which supports his sponsors and his salary. I think he will be ok though, and isn't worried about it =)

Quote Reply

Prev Next