Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Choosing a disc, many options
Quote | Reply
I have a Mavic Comete on order, which is closing in on two months now, being made in France right now I am told

After checking the actual weight on weightweenies, turns out the disc (700c) is 1472g!

That is almost a pound heavier than the Renn Madeira

The lightest option I can go (clincher) is Renn, however it is not lenticular

HED is lenticular, but still heavy at over 1400g, X-Lab is 1270g

The Zipp is not on my list, nor is Reynolds, Corima, Bontrager

Am I missing any others?

- Gary
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a disc, many options [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campy, Lightweight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Accel and why even consider the Mavic. My understanding is that is rather expensive given the weight it carries.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 13, 06 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Lightweight? Their wheels look sweet.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a disc, many options [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
700c clincher, ... so my options are Mavic (1472g), HED standard (1400g?), or Renn (1050g?).

The Mavic is a very fast wheel, I know this for certain, I cannot say the same for the Accel but it is lenticular as well, so it probably does OK (however it is tubular only). The Lightweight is not on my list, does not meet requirements, nor does Zipp. Corima is not on my list either, although they do make an all carbon clincher, as Bontrager may have one as well for 2007.

Cost not an issue, however it looks like the Renn is the correct choice. The slight aerodynamic benefit of the Mavic/HED lenticular discs may be outweighed by their mass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a carbon w/auminium brake rim lenticular disc made by an Austrian company named Spengle, which later became Xentis. Good quality disc that probably dates from the late 90's or ealy 2000's. Never seen another one. Maybe they are more common in Europe?

Bought it on ebay as a buy it now for $99.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your requirements?
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a disc, many options [vic_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
700c clincher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go for the Renn, save some money, and hire a coach! Oh, and an aero helmet and some duct-tape for your shoes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Climbing Alpe d'Huez at 300W, the Renn will save you about 12 seconds over the Mavic and 10 seconds over the Hed due to weight.

On an out-and-back 40km TT that climbs 3% steady going out, reducing your effective frontal area by .01 will save you about 20 seconds; on that same course a weight savings of 400g (Hed vs. Renn) will save you about :05 going out and cost you about :01.5 coming back. You decide whether the courses on which you'll be using the wheel are likely to incur that weight penalty, and will outweigh (no pun intended) the aero benefit of the other disks (assuming you also know the real aero benefit of the various wheels.

I'm pretty sure you know how to use analyticcycling, where I calculated these numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reason you prefer the lenticular over the flat? I don't know much about the performance of either, but I did see Floyd riding a flat disc in one of the TT's this Tour.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
". . .does not meet requirements, nor does Zipp"

How is it that Zipp meets the requirments of many of the top time-trialists in the world and the top triathletes, but not yours? Just curious.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a fan of Corima. Some clinchers for sale on ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck finding a Renn clincher. I was told that everything is backed up at Renn. The guys from all3sports.com told me there was no way I was going to be able to get one this year.

I have a set of clincher 404's (came with my bike) and was looking for a disc. I decided to go completely the other direction and ordered a Blackwell disc and 100mm front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the X-treme disc? Weren't you/TT Socal tied in with these guys at one point?

I've never seen one in person, put it looks interesting on paper--if I weren't always TT'ing with a Power Tap, I'd consider it:

http://www.x-tremecycling.com/Discs.htm

As a completely unrelated aside, I'm convinced that the most aero setup will be a wireless PT (once it's available) and a wheel cover...no matter how careful you are with the mount, you still have wires/sensors on the bike). Splitting hairs, for sure, but if you're worried about every second....
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a disc, many options [dualfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because some of the anecdotal and proven tunnel time indicates lenticular is better-

Kraig Willet's got some of the info on his website, and JC has also put up some numbers on it in the past I believe.

Personally, you'll never catch me with a flat-sided disc. I'll take a heavy-weight HED anyday or lenticular wheel covers on my PT. I'm only an n=1, but the few times I've used a flat-sided disc the seconds were noticeable (but being an n=1, it's biased I'm sure).

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a disc, many options [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it may have something to do with handling (cross winds etc.) or stability (I'm always afraid the Renn is going to collapse under my 180lb carcass). I have no idea what an n=1 is BTW.

Thanks for the info on Willet's site, I'll check it out.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a disc, many options [dualfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
n=1 is "one subject" or "test rider", in other words "me"- sorry about that.

Forgot to add as well that Kraigs site comes at a small cost, but it's well worth it.

Good luck

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I read a post here sometime ago that quoted a study that the shape of the disc depends on the bike. The closer your seat stays are to the disc, the slower the disc tests. So a flat would be good for most bikes and any disc would be OK with a Zipp, Softride, Titanflex, etc. that have no seat stays.

?????

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a disc, many options [Superman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike shop ordered 2 and Renn said they would be here in 2 weeks (700 Clincher)

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a disc, many options [Red Devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? How long ago? I may have to change my order if this is true. I will stop by my LBS Mon am and see what the deal is. After I called all3sports I called bikesportmichigan and got the same reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mavic is lenticular on only one side, the HED on both sides, and the Renn is flat.

The Zipp clincher is not available yet, and the design is neither flat nor lenticular, however that is not why it is not on my list.

The TT state championship course is flat, and since I will be racing track nationals, and not TT nationals in 2007, .. mass is a non-issue on this bike, and it will probably be around the 19lb range. Mass may not be a major factor, however almost one full pound on one wheel is significant, and measurable (5 sec over 40k), and since the Mavic is lenticular on only one side, it has reduced benefits. Maybe the dual-lenticular HED standard is a better choice, but it is still 1400g, nearly 350g heavier than the Renn.

Analyticcycling plots out the difference between the Renn and the HED standard at 5 seconds over 40k, just taking into account mass.

Add in the benefit of the lenticular shape, it is probably a wash. Since I have not tested both wheels on my particular frame, I do not know how they interact with the flow off the seattube cutout.

Right now, looks like a performance tie between the 1050g Renn and the 1400g HED standard.

The HED standard might be on the top of the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my head disk.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look at gravity-zero.com.au
Quote Reply

Prev Next