Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget
Quote | Reply
I'm about to choice of drivetrain with new frameset. I'm looking at Sram Red mechanic 10 or 11 speed, Shimano Ultegra Di2, Shimano Ultegra or DA mechanic 10 or 11 Speed. I have only
$600-700 to build up the bike. I have Sram Red Quarq Power meter. So is it worth it to upgrade to 11 speed or going with DI2 ? Also, I'm considering about install ceramic speed bearing in BB. Give me some feedback what you would do if you're in my shoes. Thanks

What I need is:
Fr. Derailleur
Rear Derailleur
Bar End Shifters
Brake levers or Brake levers with shifters

Quote Reply
Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [Dan7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get ultegra mechanical and don't get the ceramic bb. Then just ride and pocket the money you saved.

Not sure you could get di2 for 600-700 unless you were really patient
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano 105. Seriously.

Put the difference into faster tires, better saddle, or something else that actually makes a performance difference.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Shimano 105. Seriously.

Put the difference into faster tires, better saddle, or something else that actually makes a performance difference.

This.

The 5800 kit is pretty sweet, best value groupset in the world right now if you ask me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1. The latest 105 stuff is great, anybody on a budget should look no further.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outside of Sora, any drivetrain is 100% perfect. I'd find a mix of Tiagra and 105. The only people who need more than a 105 group are those racing for money.

Quote | Reply
i agree with others that the 105 level is quite nice, maybe upgrade to the Ultegra level chain and bottom bracket as those are wear items. I'm not sure what level bar con shifters are made, but anything with a correct number of index clicks is fine.

If you are building a tt/tri frame then put the shifters on the end of the aero bars. Maybe get some sort of brake levers for the extensions that are designed for that use, I'm not sure what's out there. The Shimano calipers are very nice.

You could even run 9 speed and be just fine.

I like the shimano cable packages that contain all the stuff you need for shifting and brakes, though you may need longer cables
Last edited by: jroden: Apr 24, 15 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got 5800 on my CX bike and it shifts far better than any of the other groups I've had. Force 10 speed, Rival 10 speed, Ultegra 6600. I would have no problem putting it on any bike...but knowing me I'd spend a little more on 6800 because I fall into that trap of spending a little more for basically zero performance gain and a little cooler looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sram force, rival, 105 5800
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard really good things about 105 11-speed. Sounds like an incredible budget groupset.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

No good reason anymore since 10spd stuff is cheaper.

Go 10spd!

Pick up new or slightly used Dura Ace derailleurs (even 7700 and 7800 will work fine). Could go cheaper for the front.
New DA 10 shifters.
KMC chain.
Ultegra or 105 cassette.
Steel bearing BB.

Last edited by: rruff: Apr 25, 15 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

No good reason anymore since 10spd stuff is cheaper.

Go 10spd!

Pick up new or slightly used Dura Ace derailleurs (even 7700 and 7800 will work fine). Could go cheaper for the front.
New DA 10 shifters.
KMC chain.
Ultegra or 105 cassette.
Steel bearing BB.

I agree! I try to sell that kind of stuff on ebay a lot and it goes for less than it's worth, especially cranks. I always see perfectly nice crank + BB take offs brand new no box for a hundred bucks on ebay, cranks are the dumbest place to spend extra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Shimano 105. Seriously.

Yeah.
This is interesting - suggesting front derailleurs are worth spending more on.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano 105 mechanical 11 speed. You can find a complete group for under $500 if you hunt around. Have never felt the need for anything fancier. Inexpensive and super reliable. Put the savings into better tires, tubes, and saddle so that you spend more time on the bike.

Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
105 10-speed. Lots of deals. I bought a 165mm 105 crank last year for $130. Shifts great. Although in one race last year I never left the big ring and another I shifted it 3-4 times.... I wonder how important spending more money on the groupset is?

With the rear, the cable quality and routing will matter more than the components.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like sram rival a lot for budget builds. They now have 11 speed as well with yaw. I build a few bikes with it and it's nice and can be found pretty cheap

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT ? Microshift.

Road ? 105.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my 105 11 speed for $374 shipped. Works flawlessly and the black looks awesome on my Fuji buildup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't see how you can beat the new 105 11speed for the money, honestly. The only way I'd spend more is if I were getting Ultegra Di2 (which I did).
Quote Reply
Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have said, 105 10spd and maybe Microshift barends, spend the rest on tires etc.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't see how you can beat the new 105 11speed for the money, honestly.

I much prefer old Dura Ace. 9 or 10spd.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went 105 with the derailleur pulleys swapped for dura ace (hawk racing is another good option).
Quote Reply
Re: Choice of Drivetrain with limit budget [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run SRAM Apex and a Ventus bar. I think that's the correct allocation of resources. And used tubulars are a steal right now.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
105 or Force would be where I would go, especially with your budget. I love the thought of electronic shifting but witnessed a malfunction first hand at a race this last weekend. Rear derailleur would not shift. :/
Quote Reply

Prev Next