Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations?
Quote | Reply
I went through some other threads on the topic of poor reactions to chlorine and they have been helpful. One of the threads from 2010 had a link to a specific Speedo noseclip, but the link has expired and goes to the main Speedo homepage.

Can you someone post a link to the nose clip they find works the best?

I've had bad reactions to chlorine since '99 and have just dealt with it, but I'm trying to be more proactive.

I've recently gone to using SwimSpray, which really does alleviate any and all skin irritations and the chlorine smell from my skin and hair. I can do a run and my sweat doesn't smell like chlorine, and no more bleached pillow cases from sweating in my sleep. Note: do not put on your face - chapped my face and lips something bad!

Growing up a year-round swimmer, I had constant sinus issues. Now, though, I have pretty bad histamine responses from swimming in pools. I do agree that it is due to the pool being dirty, and the reaction being to the chloramines/organohalides. I don't get these issues so much from swimming in outdoor pools and from pools that change their damn filters, or new pools that use a combination of UV, ozone and little chlorine. But for right now, I don't have access to better pools and some would argue that my current pools are pretty nice. And then I occasionally have issues in open water from pollen sitting on the water or algae in the water, so this has led me to want to try a nose clip rather than to keep trying different anti-histamines, some of which make me feel drugged and lethargic, while others that don't cause lethargy, like claritin, just don't quite cut it.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.speedousa.com/...e-clip/style-7530426

This is the one I like although they reach a point where they just snap so keep spares. I've tried the one with a metal nosepiece but those don't sit as well on me.
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No specific recommendation for a particular nose clip, but they do help some for the chlorine. I used one for a few months when i started swimming before i got used to it. Also really helps when swimming in very cold water. I cant seem to force the breath out of my nose in really cold water.
If you haven't already try a neti pot. I use one sometimes after swimming in the pool and it helps keep me from getting stuffy when there is too much chlorine in the pool (which seems to be always).
I hope you are not paying the exorbitant cost of swim spray. Make your own. It is just vitamin C powder and water. Costs a few cents per bottle at most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using the Cressi ones for the past 4 years and they seem to work fine. I bought bunch of them last time I ordered to make sure I always have a spare with me.
https://www.amazon.com/...33453c1a561806887a0e

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is very dependent on the individual nose. They are cheap enough that you can buy a variety to find out what works best. The cheap wire ones can be bent for a better fit so they are actually my favorite. The latex seems to turn to goo after repeated exposure to pool chemicals. I was able to heat up and adjust a plastic one, it worked really well but broke after a few months.
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alright, bought the plastic Speedo and the metal Cressi and will compare - I'm hoping this resolves the issue so that I can lay off the antihistamines!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what the others have said. Each nose is different and they all fit a little differently so what may work great for you may not work great for me. I like the metal framed ones the best and if I do not swim with a nose clip I will be sneezing the rest of the day. Open water I can swim without a nose clip with no consequence. Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sinus Savers might be an option if the inner conformation of your snout is suitable. They are a little fussy to put in but have worked well for me after trying a variety of clip on types without success.
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [bruceg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, added a pair to my order. thanks! that actually looks promising

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the sinus saver for a year and half, and never swim indoors with out it now.

My second year of swimming i suddenly started getting heavily congested every time I swam. Tried the neti-pot, saline nasal spray, nothing worked. Found a link on slow-twitch to the sinus saver, and it fixed me right up.
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looking forward to trying it. I crammed 8 q-tips into one nostril... I hope it was worth it, ha! But, it does seem to make the most sense. I"ll report back.

I tried neti-pot back in the late '90's, but it, like the antihistamines, only provided temporary relief.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the external nose clips (i.e., no the sinus saver), if you have a greasy nose like mine, I recommend washing your nose with soap before swimming -- the clip just stays on better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only nose clip I have ever liked is smiley. Us it anytime I am in the water

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The metal ones like the Cressy are more durable in chlorine water, the plastic gets tired a lot faster.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is hard to tell from your post what part of the problem is psychosomatic and what is physical.

There is no point in searching for a physical solution to a psychosomatic problem.

I know, I know- you probably think that the problem is entirely physical.
Maybe you are right.

But I doubt it.

There are a number of things about your post that make me suspect that (at least part of the problem) is psychosomatic.
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you had an allergy screening?
What exactly are you allergic too?

Also what is wrong with smelling like chlorine?

The alternative body smells are:
1) Body/foot odor
2) Other more complex and bizarre chemicals (i.e. de-odorant, perfume)

Chlorine seems better than these smells.

You mention skin problems.
Swimming and chlorinated water does remove necessary oil from the skin.

Why hurt the skin even more by showering in hot water, and exposing the skin to a broad array of new chemicals (sosp, shampoo, deodorant, moisturizer)?
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Mar 14, 17 14:50
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's difficult to respond to all of your points; I don't quite follow the logic in some parts. But here's a shot:

My skin and sinus issues are related. The smell itself is not an issue, though halides and organohalides are not something you really want to regularly apply to your skin or swallow, so the smell can be an indicator that your body is still in contact with those chemicals. Does that mean that just by me merely smelling the chlorine that I'm having, as you stated, a psychosomatic response? Well, I did just state that with the citric acid spray that I no longer smell chlorine.... but I'm having an allergic reaction. So, that logic is not sound.

There is research showing that organohalides can cause allergic reactions - that is, the immune system responds to the organohalides as antigens, releasing histamines as part of a local immune response. I am having a local histamine response.

If I don't swim, I don't have the reaction. If I swim, I do have the reaction and it is isolated in my sinuses, throat, mouth, eyes and skin - the areas that come in direct contact with the pool water.

So, it doesn't seem like strange logic to then seal off sinus cavity while swimming to see if that alleviates much of the problem.

Also, there are plenty of alternate body smells to chlorine, body odor and perfumes - but I couldn't really follow your logic there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing there. It is definitely not in your head.

I have no issue swimming in lakes or in the ocean but the YMCA pool which, I believe, is only 70% water and the rest is 30% bleach/chlorine, kills me. My skin dries out and has rash type responses and my hair, which doesn't need any help falling out, requires special shampoos and conditioners. My sinuses though KILL me if I get chlorine water up them. My throat and mouth even dries out if I get any in my mouth. I can't WAIT until it warms up enough to swim out doors again in better pools.

I use a Cressi nose clip but it's a bit fussy and I have to re-bend it a lot. I think I'm going to try the sinus savers.

Hang in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [oktriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I am looking forward to the Sinus Savers - they seem pretty well thought out.

Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [bruceg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, used the Sinus Saver for the first time today. I ordered a size Large due to a size Medium not being available on Amazon (the only online location to purchase them). They now appear to be out of Medium and Large. I'll order a size Medium if and when it comes available. Though, the large will work.

I hadn't realized how much I used breathing/blowing out of my nose during flip turns, during backstroke and between breaths during freestyle; it threw off my rhythm. I grew up swimming year round and this is one of those things I've just taken for granted. I also just nose breathe a lot, especially at the wall, so it all took more focus than I would have expected. I also had a lot of mucous build up, so I'm still having a slight allergic reaction to the pool water; I ultimately decided to just let it build up in my nose some since it was easy to clear out after swimming and by coughing under water while swimming.

The good news: for the first time that I can ever remember, I had absolutely no histamine response during or post swim, and I don't have the sickness type symptoms I have always gotten post-swim. I just told me swim partners when they asked about it that I had recent nose job and this was needed for the healing process.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wanted to report back: the sinus saver plugs have been working great. Though, I only recently figured out how they are actually suppose to fit. I had been putting them inside my nostrils, but only in the ends. They would lose their seal several times a practice and it would take a while to get them reseated. Then, I realized they are meant to go way, way up into the nostril, completely closing off the upper, narrowed portion of the sinuses. I found that putting some aquaphor on them before inserting ensures there's not residual discomfort, though it is does seem odd to put something that far up you nostril. Since inserting them fully, they've worked better than expected. Unfortunately, it looks like only a size xsmall is available. I am using a size large. I've had zero allergy issues swimming since using the sinus savers, and for me that's a big deal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I went through some other threads on the topic of poor reactions to chlorine and they have been helpful. One of the threads from 2010 had a link to a specific Speedo noseclip, but the link has expired and goes to the main Speedo homepage.

Can you someone post a link to the nose clip they find works the best?

I've had bad reactions to chlorine since '99 and have just dealt with it, but I'm trying to be more proactive.

I've recently gone to using SwimSpray, which really does alleviate any and all skin irritations and the chlorine smell from my skin and hair. I can do a run and my sweat doesn't smell like chlorine, and no more bleached pillow cases from sweating in my sleep. Note: do not put on your face - chapped my face and lips something bad!

Growing up a year-round swimmer, I had constant sinus issues. Now, though, I have pretty bad histamine responses from swimming in pools. I do agree that it is due to the pool being dirty, and the reaction being to the chloramines/organohalides. I don't get these issues so much from swimming in outdoor pools and from pools that change their damn filters, or new pools that use a combination of UV, ozone and little chlorine. But for right now, I don't have access to better pools and some would argue that my current pools are pretty nice. And then I occasionally have issues in open water from pollen sitting on the water or algae in the water, so this has led me to want to try a nose clip rather than to keep trying different anti-histamines, some of which make me feel drugged and lethargic, while others that don't cause lethargy, like claritin, just don't quite cut it.

This is a big reason I quit my full-time job to do triathlon. Simply put I needed great pools and I just didn't have easy access to them with the full-time job. Although I am not thrilled about the sun and training outside, I also believe that it is significantly better for my lungs.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the outdoor pools in Boulder were great. hoping to work (read, academic tenure) my way back there or CA where I can do outdoor swimming year round. We have a nice rock quarry here where I'm hoping to do most of my summer swimming, but even then, preventing junk from getting in my sinuses probably isn't a bad idea

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like my issues. Here's what I do, to some success...

Tried nose clips. While in itself they work with the chlorine and all, the main issue was that with my big nose, none would stay put. Tried different brands, after losing about 50$ worth at the bottom of the pool, I stopped. For what it was worth, the Speedo (with metal frame) was the one that fell the least.

Reactine (I think it's called Zyrtec in US?) works very well for me, non-drowsy. However, I do not like the idea of taking medications and will only take it after pool if I get a heavy case of sneezing fit. I use 3-4 different pools depending on time slot, and not all of them have the same effect. Like was said, outdoor pools do not trigger sneezing issues at all, so in summer I swim outside exclusively. Sadly, that's only 3 months for me in Canada.

Grease in the nose works well also. Vaseline, Nozoil, Rhinaris products all prevent mst of my issues. Check for allergies as some are based on sesame oil, etc. Not everyone like the feeling though, but I don't mind...
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine: Nose clip and other recommendations? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Zyrtec and Claritin help.... but since using the sinus savers, I haven't needed these medicines for swimming, at all. And, like you, I prefer to go sans-medicine when possible.

Quote Reply