Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chinese clincher vs used reynolds/Williams
Quote | Reply
Some time has passed since the Chinese clincher fad has hit, but it seems like there is still a number of conflicting opinions.

I'm in the market for "budget" carbon clinchers for my road bike. My options are a new set of Chinese clinchers or a used set of wheels from a company like Reynolds, roughly $700.

Am I getting a "better" wheel by going with Reynolds? I would feel way less ashamed to have a LBS true a set of Reynolds versus some unbranded wheels from China. Hah.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese clincher vs used reynolds/Williams [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny stuff. I bought some chinese wheels because of the budget issue also, after tons of glowing reviews from teammates and others in the industry. But I'm super ashamed of lugging them down to the LBS. I'll get over it, but I'm sure they'll be laughing my ass out the door behind my back!
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese clincher vs used reynolds/Williams [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What vendor did you buy from? It seems like the "reputable" brands are getting more expensive, ie. light bicycle, farsports, etc.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://stores.ebay.com/speedcarbon11/

SpeedCarbon11 is what a few different guys on my team have used, for more than one set of wheels. I must tell you that I've not even had them to LBS, mounted tires, nothing, so I really can't provide a review. But since I'm not pro and I only do a few races a year, $500 seemed a lot more reasonable for a set of race wheels I'll use 3-5x/year then the $1500 to get something name brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I had them customized to match my bike. Which is even douchier to bring into LBS, but they look super sick on my bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a set for almost 3 years and they rode great. Built them up with C-4 hubs. However, the front had a slight epoxy defect on the braking surface which cause the wheel to squeal when under hard braking. It could have been fixed for just under a $100 but I ended up selling them and putting the money into a PM.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese clincher vs used reynolds/Williams [drudoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 3 pairs of light-bicycle wide carbon clinchers and have no regrets. I buy the rims and build them up with bicyclehubstore.com sl210 hubs. So happy with them I sold my zipps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with Light bicycle as well - 60mm rims and Novatec hubs - red with red nipples. I went with the 23mm wide rims, versus their newer 25mm U shaped because I have a Scott and the chainstays are narrow.

The wheels have been solid and true. The only problems is I got some bad death wobble going down a hill by my house at 40mph+ with a cross wind the other day. Never had a problem in the past. Last year coming down from Hawi with some bad cross winds on Zipps 404s, while I didn't get wobble, I did get blown sideways.

Maybe its the V shaped wheels and older front tire but now I have some concerns. Good for training and I will race on them but if I experience the death wobble again I will avoid them on a windy race with high downhill speeds.

Also, the packaging box was a little weak and they are a little hard to mount 23mm Continental Grand Prix's on but I did get the tire on by hand.

For $670 total, I can't complain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 2 sets.

One was a 88mm deep 23 I think wide V shaped that I bought pre built, bomb proof road the rear almost all of last year and the front the first half the the year.

I wanted to start building wheels again so I ordered a set of 88mm 25 wide U shaped this time last year and built the front with a DT240 straight pull and CXray spokes. Love it. Finally built my rear a few months ago on a bikehub store superlight rear hub, not straight pull since it is under a cover and their straight pull at the time was not 11spd compatible(future proofing). Again been bombproof. I smashed a pot hole test riding before PR and double pinch flatted, shocked nothing else happened and rims were flawless after.

Yesterday was 5X ebay bucks so I ordered a set of 60mm deep 25 wide carbon with alloy brake surface rims for my road bike and back up race wheels. Obviously no experience with them yet but I have no reason to think there will be a problem. Probably going to build an all white road bike and paint the carbon parts of these white. Tri bike all black, road bike all white (track car all black.. daily all white :) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have bought a bunch of used carbon wheels - maybe 10? Never bought any new ones and I have only ever had one issue with a used CC, but Enve replaced the rim and rebuilt the wheel free of charge.

My recommendation is for used.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so close to buying these:

http://www.ebay.com/...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone deal with this company?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese clincher vs used reynolds/Williams [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

That is who I ordered the set from last night. Sent a message a few minutes after to clarify that I wanted the matte finish, heard right back asking if I wanted the option to switch to UD or stick with 3k. Obviously have not received them yet since it has been less than 24 hours but so far dealing with them has been good.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese clincher vs used reynolds/Williams [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was wrong with those Chinese wheels?

cmd111183 wrote:
Funny stuff. I bought some chinese wheels because of the budget issue also, after tons of glowing reviews from teammates and others in the industry. But I'm super ashamed of lugging them down to the LBS. I'll get over it, but I'm sure they'll be laughing my ass out the door behind my back!
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese clincher vs used reynolds/Williams [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

That is who I ordered the set from last night. Sent a message a few minutes after to clarify that I wanted the matte finish, heard right back asking if I wanted the option to switch to UD or stick with 3k. Obviously have not received them yet since it has been less than 24 hours but so far dealing with them has been good.

Just ordered them, I'll see how they are in a few weeks.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet, everything I have ordered from China has come in about 7 days always way sooner than estimated. This time it took them about a week to ship which is the longest so far usually 48 hours tops.

My wheels left the sort facility in China on the 6/1 I wouldn't be shocked to see a usps notice to go pick them up at the post office tomorrow.

Enjoy the wheels!
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese clincher vs used reynolds/Williams [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because some feel that these Chinese wheels are inferior and will instantaneously explode when in contact with oxygen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have had a set of Farsports 38mm clinchers for about a year and a half. Customer service was great, build quality is very good and wheels arrived fast. Got a couple of their knock offs of the Specialized Rib Cages at the same time which have performed like champs as well. I don't have a ton of basis for comparison vs other carbon wheels for braking power, but they are certainly 'good enough' using the Reynolds pads.

Despite good experiences I do have a little bit of perception stuck in my head that they are somehow less quality than something that has a fancy sticker on it, but really they have done quite well. I think they were about $550 landed, with skewers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got them today.

I'll give them a try on Monday

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't wait to see what you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using two Farsports wheelsets for a while now and they've been great.

1. 50mm x 25mm u-shape on Bitex hubs for triathlon
2. 38mm x 25mm u-shape on Novatec disc for cyclocross

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese clincher vs used reynolds/Williams [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a few good hard rides on them now and I like them.

The braking is much better than I thought it would be and the wheels are pretty smooth.

They came with brake pads and skewers. I looked them over really well and I can't see any imperfections the carbon, everything feels solid.

The front needed to be trued a little when I got them, the rear was perfect.

Here they are on my road bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Had a few good hard rides on them now and I like them.

The braking is much better than I thought it would be and the wheels are pretty smooth.

They came with brake pads and skewers. I looked them over really well and I can't see any imperfections the carbon, everything feels solid.

The front needed to be trued a little when I got them, the rear was perfect.

Here they are on my road bike.

Fat un aero frame.

Discusting rug and terrible 1970s beige decor.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese clincher vs used reynolds/Williams [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your character is really showing through.
Quote Reply

Prev Next