Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chinese carbon wheels.. too wide for brakes?
Quote | Reply
I picked up a carbon wheelset, Chinese. The seller told me they didn't fit his QR with integrated brakes (rims too wide and couldn't adjust brakes). I tried the front wheel on my '13 P2 and indeed, it's too wide. Even with brake lever open the wheel won't spin. Is this a common problem with Chinese wheels? Oh, the pads I have on my P2 are stock, not made for carbon wheels. Still, will a carbon brake pad make that much of a difference?

BTW, the seller is a great guy and told me that if it won't fit he'll give me my money back, so no issues there.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese carbon wheels.. too wide for brakes? [m3bella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brakes are you running? What is the internal/external width of the rim? Is it possible that you have a wheel built with a 29er disc brake rim?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Aug 30, 14 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DId you take the spacers on the brakes out?
Should fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might also consider picking up a pair of Swisstop "Evo" pads as they are thinner and thus should give you a bit more room to play with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't you let some cable out and retighten the calipers ?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese carbon wheels.. too wide for brakes? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
DId you take the spacers on the brakes out?
Should fit.
No, I didn't. To be honest, I'm learning about bikes as I go. I thought these wheels would be same as any other wheel, I didn't realize they require special care on brake components.

I was thinking of getting the FLO 60/90 combo when they go on sale Thursday. By everyone's response above, is putting a carbon wheelset on a P2 going to be a feat?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese carbon wheels.. too wide for brakes? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, taking spacers off calipers seemed to do the trick. Now I need to buy brake pads for the carbon wheels so I'll check out the Swisstop EVO pads.

Thanks everyone for your help. This community is a goldmine of support and knowledge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, this is what it looks like (w/o tire installed).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi m3bella,

Great photo. The problem is clear: the FSA calipers. They don't open quite as wide as many others (like Shimano Dura-Ace, Ultegra, etc.).

But no need to change the caliper, if the shoes clear without the washers, then it works. I took the washers out of my SRAM Red brakes for the same reason, and it works perfectly for me.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply