Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chinese Carbon Wheels
Quote | Reply
I'm looking over some Chinese wheelsets on Amazon. They look great and are really inexpensive. How bad can they be? The prices Trek, Zipp, Enve, and others want are insane. I'm willing to pay for quality. But then again, I don't like getting hosed.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you like stopping your bike when you brake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I'm looking over some Chinese wheelsets on Amazon. They look great and are really inexpensive. How bad can they be? The prices Trek, Zipp, Enve, and others want are insane. I'm willing to pay for quality. But then again, I don't like getting hosed.

The problem is that you don't really know what you're getting. They could be great or terrible. How bad can they be? Are you hoping that someone here answers that all Chinese wheelsets are reliable and safe? Does that seem like a plausible answer to you?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on Pubes...you know between the garbage that there are also some outstanding chink wheels are slutbay...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:

They're fine, but over-priced when you consider what 2nd hand wheels like Zipps go for. I got my Zipp 808/1080 set for $900. Resale is poor. $700 for a wheelset vs $1000 for Flo wheelset?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Celerius wrote:

The problem is that you don't really know what you're getting. They could be great or terrible. How bad can they be? Are you hoping that someone here answers that all Chinese wheelsets are reliable and safe? Does that seem like a plausible answer to you?

If you go to a Chinese company that has been around for a few years then you do know what you're getting e.g Lightbicycle. Wheels come with a 2 year warranty and build quality is pretty good. They've now opened a US factory too. But like I said, they're overpriced. $300 - $400 for a 90mm wheelset is a more realistic price.
Last edited by: zedzded: May 30, 17 20:33
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
niccolo wrote:
Celerius wrote:

If you go to a Chinese company that has been around for a few years then you do know what you're getting e.g Lightbicycle. Wheels come with a 2 year warranty and build quality is pretty good. They've now opened a US factory too. But like I said, they're overpriced. $300 - $400 for a 90mm wheelset is a more realistic price.

I didn't interpret the OP to be asking whether there are *any* good Chinese wheels, I interpreted him to be asking whether there are any bad ones, with a focus on the "really inexpensive" ones. I think the question answers itself, frankly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Celerius wrote:

They're fine, but over-priced when you consider what 2nd hand wheels like Zipps go for.

Sounds like a plus for the Chinese. You'll get better quality hubs than the shit Zipp uses.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny that you say that...and it made me think...
The only hubs that I have had that disintegrated were from Zipp wheels...I've also replaced bearings in Zipps more often than others. Other than that...I like Zipp. I've rebuilt many Zipp wheels with different hubs without issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
Come on Pubes...you know between the garbage that there are also some outstanding chink wheels are slutbay...

glad to see casual racism is alive and well here still.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
zedzded wrote:
niccolo wrote:
Celerius wrote:

I didn't interpret the OP to be asking whether there are *any* good Chinese wheels, I interpreted him to be asking whether there are any bad ones, with a focus on the "really inexpensive" ones. I think the question answers itself, frankly.

Ah gotcha.

OP - If the amazon wheels are anything like the Aliexpress ones I'd stay well away. Look at companies like LightBicycle, Yoleo, Yishun etc or buy 2nd hand, lots of bargains around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of yoeleo as my first foray into aero wheelset. They are nice and they sell direct - not through eBay. They are a brand and if you have a problem with Chinese-made, then you're either blind or ignorant as to where most other branded product is coming from.

Having said that, I bought an aluminum-rimmed carbon wheelset. Not all that light and not much cheaper than Flo. 1st shipping attempt went fubar and returned to China, turned back around, and finally I got my product.

For a 2nd wheelset recently I went Flo. Easier!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My race wheels are Yishun. I have probably completed 4 full IM and 4 half IM on them, plus training on them a few weeks before each race. Never had any problems with them. They seem fast to me. I have a wheel cover on the rear. They are 60/80 carbon clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to think they were probably ok, until I rode up Mt Baldy in California with my friend last year who had some generic carbon wheels on his bike. One of the braking surfaces started to split in half, so it was rubbing on the brake pad the whole way up. As a result, he had to use only his rear brake going down the mountain, while praying the tire/tube wasn't going to pop due to the rim splitting and making a huge bubble out of the tube. Not a fun experience. Not safe either. And I'd rather just buy used Zipps or a real brand name than any junk to save a few bucks. And sure, he had used those wheels plenty in the past.. but it just takes one incident like that.
Last edited by: phoenixR34: May 31, 17 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheels I purchased from Carbon Speed Cycle on Ebay have been going strong for the last year.

I took them to Portsmouth Ohio a few weeks ago to ride them in the hills, I deliberately tried to heat them up while descending and all I managed to do was wear down the brake pads. (disclaimer, I am pretty small though)

Also, the braking was quite good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple years ago I rode across the country with a pair of disc-brake chinese wheels... they held up beautifully! It was actually my name-brand bike frame that ended up cracking on a chain stay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave passing thought to getting some Chinese wheels but upped my budget a few hundred bucks and got some Flos.

Gone are the days when you can just make a wheel that looks alot like a Zipp and it will be decently aero compared to the alternatives. That might have worked several years ago at the dawn of the deep dish carbon trend but fast forward to today and all "just make it look fast" gains have long since been made. It takes some subtle design work (and money for the necessary computer and wind tunnel time) to make a competitive aero wheel these days. At this point, you can get a well designed set of wheels for $1200. You can an older model of something that was well designed a few years ago for less than $1000 (e.g the Reynolds at Performance Bike). Your knock off Chinese wheel might be fast. Or it might weigh more than they said it would and be no more aero or reliable than that 5 year old name brand set you could have gotten on eBay for less money.

Its not that Chinese off brand wheels are 100% bad, it is just that you have no idea what you are getting and, the costs have come down enough on the lower priced reputable brands that is it not that much more to buy yourself some certainty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:

Not sure which wheels on Amazon you are referring to - is this the set?. Regardless IMHO, I would rather purchase a set of HED JET+ 6 from the perpetual sale that Competitive Cyclist runs at 42% off or $1099. This is for a variety of reasons:

1) Aluminum brake track offering far superior braking. I wouldn't trust just any old company with carbon braking. Too many warped brakes tracks I have seen which either did or could have resulted in tire blows off at high speeds.
2) Get immediately, no waiting for the next group buy
3) Great CS from CC (owned by BackCountry)
3) Wide internal rim - 21mm
4) Proven reliable and aero from HED
5) Still lightweight. probably 50-100 grams lighter than FLO.
6) Easy to get a wheel cover to match the rim and turn into a disc.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 31, 17 10:02
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas, thanks for the input. Those HED wheels look like a bargain. And you are correct, that was one of the Chinese wheel sets I was referring to. My post wasn't just about the quality coming out of China. I have no doubt that some off brand wheels are sketchy and dangerous. And I probably don't know enough to differentiate the dangerous from the merely acceptable. Although it sounds like LightBicycle, Yoleo, and Yishun are acceptable. It's more that when the well known companies are charging 2 to 3 times what other companies are charging, at some point it becomes about more than just quality. I'd be curious to know the relative profit margins. I suspect the big companies have a huge mark up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
Thomas, thanks for the input. Those HED wheels look like a bargain. And you are correct, that was one of the Chinese wheel sets I was referring to. My post wasn't just about the quality coming out of China. I have no doubt that some off brand wheels are sketchy and dangerous. And I probably don't know enough to differentiate the dangerous from the merely acceptable. Although it sounds like LightBicycle, Yoleo, and Yishun are acceptable. It's more that when the well known companies are charging 2 to 3 times what other companies are charging, at some point it becomes about more than just quality. I'd be curious to know the relative profit margins. I suspect the big companies have a huge mark up.

Triathlon/cycling gear is a complete and utter rip off. I've been wavesailing (windsurfing) for years and the cost of windsurf gear is high, but pales into comparison with that of bike gear. A carbon mast would cost around $400, measuring 4.5m compared to a 40cm carbon seat post that can cost over $300 (Aus $). Crazy. We are being completely ripped off. There's only so much r&d that goes into a seatpost...

It's a bit disappointing that the Chinese bike market hasn't taken off, stuff is getting better, but the cost is simply too high and the resale way too low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably from the same factory as most wheels. Just have to watch out if something happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Triathlon/cycling gear is a complete and utter rip off. I've been wavesailing (windsurfing) for years and the cost of windsurf gear is high, but pales into comparison with that of bike gear. A carbon mast would cost around $400, measuring 4.5m compared to a 40cm carbon seat post that can cost over $300 (Aus $). Crazy.

Yeah, you only need one seatpost. And one bike.
W/ modern windsurfing, you need 3 boards, 4 masts, 6 sails, and 2 booms, just to have fun.

It's an apples-to-oranges comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a rear rim from Carbonspeedzone (?) built up by my lbs with a Powertap hub and rode it and raced it for over a year before I sold it with zero issues. The communication was great and they helped me out a lot. From reading it seems a lot of the "issues" with these wheels is they aren't made perfectly sometimes. Solution for that? Buy the rim and have your lbs build it up. Or ask them to ship it unbuilt with hubs and spokes.

I would for sure buy from them again and would love to test out their carbon wheels with aluminum brake track too. Now this post is talking me into spending money!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I have been riding 88mm clinchers from carbonspeedcycle for over two years on my tri bike and have raced them 10+ times in both oly and 70.3s. No problems whatsoever until this week when I noticed my front wheel's sidewall had warped. Loud snapping noise when rotating and thumping when breaking. It was 2.5 years ago when I purchased them for $400usd. Currently in talks with them on getting front wheel replaced lol. Will try to remember to update thread with verdict from China.

Although I would not recommend for someone training/racing in mountains. Steep downhills will always be scary on those bad boys!
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Yeah, you only need one seatpost. And one bike.
W/ modern windsurfing, you need 3 boards, 4 masts, 6 sails, and 2 booms, just to have fun.

It's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

I have all my equipment from when I was in high school, so it's over 20 years old and going strong. I get odd looks if I launch at places where everyone is out on boards that that are shaped like a door (7 feet long, 5 feet wide :-p ) but it's the same if someone showed up at a tri on a bike with 7 speed downtube shifters.

The advantage is that windsurfing gear lasts for ever vs. a hard bump on your race wheels and you're in the market for new ones.
Quote Reply

Prev Next