Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [ClarkieCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A LBS Shop in North Texas sells a no-name carbon clincher. They get the carbon portion from China, and claim they are shipped from the exact same address that ships to Reynolds. The LBS builds it up from there.

Is this believable?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [bhobbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I wouldn't doubt it on the cheaper models.

bhobbs wrote:
A LBS Shop in North Texas sells a no-name carbon clincher. They get the carbon portion from China, and claim they are shipped from the exact same address that ships to Reynolds. The LBS builds it up from there.

Is this believable?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [undertheradar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks fast :))) And and this price it is a great deal.

undertheradar wrote:
Eta: I paid $550 shipped for the 88's.

I had a set of 50mm carbon clinchers that I rode to a PR at IMAZ last year. No problems with them at all. Sold them and bought a set of 88's at the beginning of the year and they are just as nice. I only race on them (or ride the trainer) but they have been rock solid. Of course I'm not going to be bombing hills and riding the brakes on them (what usually causes the stories you hear about delam issues) but I wouldn't be doing that on any carbon clinchers.

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [potomuchto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://2quik.storenvy.com/
check these out. I see a lot of people riding them.
Seem to be Ok wheels and the price is good. He offers some warranty and customer service/support.
located in Arlington Tx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of 80mm two seasons ago - no complaints at all - got them to Canada in less then 3 weeks - had read the thread on roadbikereview.com so used the guy they all used and reviewed - near as I can figure, by purchasing direct from the manufacturer, I didn't pay for the stickers and the all black wheels go with everything - plan to purchase carbon frame same way in a season or two.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simply put these Chinese rims are a flat design and do NOT have the aerodynamic performance of a name brand, toroidal or shaped wheel.
Low tension spokes, mid-grade hubs and bearings.

They are pretty fast and the ones I got were well constructed. But they ain't no Zipps. I just got some Zipps and will never use the flats again on my bike.

Because of the handling issues at 30 km/h+ and in crosswinds - imo they are not suited to Tri bike use where the aero position increases steering input "gain". I might put mine on the road bike and see how they do.

For the money try to score a used set of the toroidal design.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Aug 2, 12 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First race (sprint) on Chinese carbon wheels today (88mm rear-60mm front, all clinchers) and they felt great.
If it was not for a particularly explosive bottle rocket I could have kept 33-34km/h (I guess, hope...).
Aero helmet was on as well.
I am very pleased so far and I guess longevity is the real question mark here...
But for $830 I get a pair of 88mm and one front 60mm as training-racing wheels.

They might be a lesser equivalent of Zipp before Firecrest and toroidal advances from 3-4 years ago. (I am no expert)
Still, they did the job. The way I see it, big brands may allow these guys to keep old molds and pull an extra shift now and then, sell them later at discount price without stickers and with less thorough inspection.
Also, it is not 12k carbon but 4k for what it means.

My LBS put them together and said the truing was well-done and they felt and looked like solid wheels.
I have nothing to compare them with but at my modest pace they suit me!

Now on to the hills (read: Dumb cheap French man tumbles downhill in great fashion in hope of saving meaningless amount of cash)

If only I could find a Chinese acupuncture expert to help me lose 10 pounds. Gotta trust Chinese expertise, they obviously know what they are doing!
Aero trumps weight but I still have to carry the extra baggage...

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Last edited by: Bancarel: Aug 4, 12 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Bancarel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Chinese 88 clinchers, been training on them for the last 3 months and just did Vineman with them. They are definitely fast, the only issue I have with them is the brakes pulsate a bit (I'm using Swisstop Yellows, the cork pads that came with them were awful). The biggest appeal to me is I can afford to train with them rather than only race, so I had plenty of time getting comfortable with the deep front in the crazy wind we've had lately here in the North Bay.

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.onelesshiker.com
http://www.twitch.tv/1horsepower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race on generic tubular rims, that a friend built up.

I race cyclocross on them, slamming into everything known to man. They have yet to explode and I die.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [gusano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much did you pay for your set?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Trimex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they ended up being around $600 shipped
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone bought or ridden on any of the aluminum/carbon chinese wheels like these:

http://www.alibaba.com/...arbon_rims_60mm.html

I'd like to just get some of the full carbon clinchers, but I live in a really hilly area so having to ride the brakes at times is inevitable.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [bbrisket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great point. I never saw the ones with an alu brake track. Looks like a great way to get some deep rims, cheap, and still be able to stop.

any reviews, comments out there??

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking to get a set for my road bike for daily use. Options right now are pick one off eBay, Road Fox (which I think are the same thing), some other web store or the Planet X aluminum clinchers.

Going back and forth over which to get. The Planet X would seem to be the safest to me because of the brake track. And they'll be daily drivers because I don't race anymore.

For those that have bought any of these, how bad/good are the hubs? Many seem to be Novatec. Are they really noisy?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Planet X is pissing me off. I returned the Alum wheels on June 11 and still haven't gotten my credit. Nobody will answer emails and one phone call was never picked up. I've filed a dispute with my CC to get the charge remove.

Since I sent them back I bought a CX bike so now I wish I had the wheels since my CX came with boat anchor wheels.

Quote | Reply
My Novate hubs are quiet and they spin forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guppie58 wrote:
Planet X is pissing me off. I returned the Alum wheels on June 11 and still haven't gotten my credit. Nobody will answer emails and one phone call was never picked up. I've filed a dispute with my CC to get the charge remove.

Since I sent them back I bought a CX bike so now I wish I had the wheels since my CX came with boat anchor wheels.

That's part of my problem making a decision. I emailed the first part of last week with some questions. Haven't heard anything.

At least the eBay guys respond right away.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry S. wrote:
great point. I never saw the ones with an alu brake track. Looks like a great way to get some deep rims, cheap, and still be able to stop.

any reviews, comments out there??

thanks

Yeah I had never seen them either. I did some searching through the threads and haven't seen any comments on the aluminum clinchers with carbon fairings. I'd like to lace a PT into one, but I'd like to see if anyone has bought a pair of these before I give them a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [bbrisket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you dealing with Planet X USA (Brian?) or are you dealing with Planet X UK?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Planet X USA. I've emailed a Scott and a Micheal. Scott is the one who answered questions and gave me the green light to return the product. Yesterday I filed a dispute with my CC. Wish it didn't come down to that, but zero communication and no refund is very suspect. Right now, I'd recommend people steer away from them, unless they have some golden reason for the delay in refund and no communication.

Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that many of the links posted from Alibaba and Aliexpress are simply trading companies that market products from a variety of sources but few actually manufacture any of the products listed on the referenced site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a frame off of them and I had not one issue. Emails went back and forth quickly and the product shipped out very quickly and arrived as promised. I am sure that I dealt with Brian there but when it came to shipping out the frame and tracking numbers and such Scott was the guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I initially ordered my wheels it went smooth and wheels arrived quickly. Have no idea why customer service has crashed since.

Quote | Reply

how can that be right?

a pair of 808s for 600 bucks?
Quote Reply

Prev Next