Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chicago Marathon-Added race report
Quote | Reply
I'm running Chicago for the first time this year and just trying to plan my strategy for race day. I'm not sure what I want to set my goal time for yet but it is somewhere in the 2:40's. Does anyone have any good tips for this race (aid stations, running tangents, weather to expect, etc)? I would love to hear somebody else's pacing strategy that has run it within the 2:40-2:50 range. I know that it's a flat course, but I seem to be having a difficult time finding an elevation profile map.

Thanks!

Since you asked.............Here's the report:

Just some background: I am 31 year old male that got into these crazy sports in 2011. My first marathon was in 2012 at IMLP at 4:50 (what a painful memory, overall time 13:25 for first IM). After that I set my sights on BQ. Since then I first tried in 2012 Philadelphia Marathon with 3:09, missing it by 4 minutes. I then took another stab at it that Spring at 2013 Long Island Marathon, which was another massive PR @ 2:56. It's kind of funny because at the time I thought it was one of the hardest efforts I ever put out, until you read on. I put in some serious run training for 2013 NYC marathon, completed my last long run 3 weeks before race day, and got hit by a car on my bike. All banged up, cut up, and a fractured patella I had to sit out NYC. I went full force with rehab, started swimming and cycling on bike trainer as I can tolerate and didn't start run training until beginning of January. From January to April I went full force into run training again and squeezed out a 2:53 at Boston 2014. Run training slowed down to allow for IM training for second stab at IMLP 2014 and brought time down to 11:03 (another painful memory). Came home from Placid, took off 3 days, and got back into marathon training for Chicago/NYC combo.

August to October: I upped the training that I did for Boston and kept and open mind on what goal to set until I got closer. I started out aiming to break 2:50 but I kept responding well to training and getting stronger and stronger. About 3 weeks before I switched goal to about 2:45, which changed was changed again about 3 days before the race to shoot for 2:43ish.

Race weekend: everything kept going good. I flew into Chicago Saturday morning, had a friend pick me up and take me straight to expo and after getting out of there before 11 just relaxed. The rest of the day I ate lots of deep dish pizza, relaxed, did my ritual 2.62 mile Tempo run and went to bed early.

Race morning: I woke up an hour earlier than planned because my friend forgot that there is a 1 hour time difference between NYC and Chicago and texted me good luck. Ate simple breakfast, sipped Gatorade, bundled up, jogged a mile to start, refilled the widemouth gatorade bottle 5 minutes before race by emptying my bladder and then got ready to run.

Start of the race: I was surprised that there was no gun or anything to sound the start, before I knew it we were just pushing towards the start with no real indicator that the race started. I started off a little bit ahead of pace, but expected that for the first few miles so I didn't care. At about the 5k point I started settling in to desired effort. From about 5k to 30k I was pushing a fast and hard pace and way above my goal 2:43. I repeatedly asked myself if I should keep up the pace and risk meltdown or slow down and conserve. I kept saying "F it" and going with the crash and burn approach. Although I dropped only about 5-10 seconds per mile, at about 30-37k I knew that I was entering the transition period where it was getting hard and the "wall" was very close. At about 37k it finally happened, I crashed and burned. I really started to doubt everything and struggle with every step but somehow managed to maintain a respectable pace at about 25 seconds slower than the pace for the first 15 miles. Last 1.5-2k I mustered up everything that I can and pushed. I returned back to the pace that I started out at and finished strong with a time of 2:41:44!

Next up: As of now I'm going to do redeem myself from not being able to do NYC last year and see if I can get closer to or even break 2:40 in 3 weeks. If it doesn't work at NYC in 3 weeks then I will give it a stab at Boston 2015.

Further up: Ultimately I think that I am nearing my marathon PR ceiling and plan to shift my focus towards KQ. I have IMMT on the calendar for 2015, so after Boston I will try to tackle my poor swimming problem, and raise my FTP as high as possible. My thinking is that if I can get my cycling ability to be comparable to my running ability then I will definitely have a shot, no matter how poor a swimmer I am? Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated. Luckily when I get off the bike my legs rarely fail me, so I know that I can sacrifice running for the sake of the other two sports.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by: dbikelink: Oct 13, 14 17:10
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran it in 2:40.26 in 2006 and I'm heading back there for the first time this year since then in search of 27 more seconds.

Weather is a crap shoot...could be hot, rainy, windy, cloudy, sunny, from 40 degrees to 80 degrees. You never know.

With regard to pacing, the last time I ran it the first mile was slow b/c of all the people and a couple of turns. I think I tried to make up the time that I "lost" too early and burned some matches that I could have used later on in the race...the last couple of miles were into a headwind that year. It's an even/negative split type of course, but pay attention to which way the wind is blowing prior to the start so you can use it to your advantage. I went 1:20.00/1:20.26 in '06. Biggest "hill" is at mile 26 right before you make the left onto Columbus...catches a lot of people by surprise I think.

The crowds are unbelievable for the first half of the race, then they disappear altogether. The last half of the race is very lonely outside of say, Chinatown. I think it's easy to get carried away with pacing with the excitement and energy from the crowds during the first half.

Interested to hear the take of others here.

Re: Chicago Marathon [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced in '06, too. Was my first sub-3 race and have thought about going back to run something a good deal faster since my PB is now much lower on slower courses.

I agree with everything darkhorse said. Weather is the reason why Shalane Flanagan chose Berlin over Chicago for her AR attempt, especially the wind. The hill at mile 26 is tough and caught me by surprise!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run the following times at Chicago

2:41:56 - in 2005
2:41:12 - in 2006
2:40:01 - in 2012. (yes, yes, I couldn't find two seconds).

My strategy each time has been this.

RELAX for the first mile. Seriously. Let all those crazies zoom out. Make it EFFORTLESS. Try to pretend that you just don't care and that this is an easy tempo run. Just think of nothing but running relaxed and easy. Concentrate on your own body and nothing else. Are you floating along, relaxed? Pay attention to this. Pay NO attention to the people around you. For the first mile, tons of them will be running past you. They will pay the price. You'll think you are running an 8 minute mile, but in reality it will be more like 6:20. If you feel you are pushing at all, you'll go too fast.

The second mile, stay relaxed, but begin to ease into a steady pace.

Third mile, start worry about actual hitting goal pace. By now you will have shed the pre-race jitters and should have no trouble making minute adjustement. Best of all, if you've kept your head for the first two miles, you'll have saved a ton of energy.

What I find is that if I do this, I tend to hit splits like 6:20, 6:15, then 6:0x (where 6:0x is my goal pace). I've "lost" a total of maybe 25 seconds off my goal pace and I can chip away at that with a second or two per mile

As far as an elevation profile -- it really, really does not matter. There's a siight incline before halfway. There's a dip below the roadway around mile 22-ish. Then there's the tiny bridge into Grant park at the end. None of these "hills" is more than a bump.

Mostly what to worry about is the wind. There are mainly two places where you can run into it. First place is the miles from 12.5 to 15 miles. The long straightway running west. Look to tuck behind someone here. Do NOT waste energy. The only other place I ever hit a sustained wind was in the final 2 mile stretch. At that point, you're running on guts anyway so suck it up, buttercup!

I'm running again this year so we'll probably be running near each other at some point. But training has not gone as well this time so I'll likely finish far behind you.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a preferred starting corral? If not, get there early and try to push as far forward as possible. 40,000+ people takes a LONG time to weave through if you're going for a fast race. The first year I did it, I ran as much side-to-side as I did forward for the first three or four miles.

Assuming you're there early, it's going to be COLD. Head to Good Will a few days before and pick up a sweat shirt and sweat pants that you can toss at the finish. Everything is donated after the race.

When I lived back in Chicago, I did the race five times. It is still one of my favorite races.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I find is that if I do this, I tend to hit splits like 6:20, 6:15, then 6:0x (where 6:0x is my goal pace). I've "lost" a total of maybe 25 seconds off my goal pace and I can chip away at that with a second or two per mile

This sounds about right. My first mile in '06 was something like 6:26 and I panicked a bit trying to make it up too quickly. But I was younger and more inexperienced then. I know better now. :)

Quote | Reply
What I did last year and the last few times I ran it was start off 10-15 seconds off my goal time then negative split the thing. It is flat and it is also VERY easy to start off too fast because of the amazing crowd support. This will be my first year not running it in the last 5 years so it will be kind of sad. Last year I went out with a 1:25:23 first half then finishing with a 2:48:46, so about 2 plus minute negative split. In 2012, a month after Ironman Wisconsin I went out at 1:31:35 then finished with a 2:58:38 so another negative split.

As far as running tangents, YES! Know where the turns are because with all of those people on course you can make some pretty wide turns. And trying to run a 2:40 means that you do not want to throw seconds away on the course.

The last 2 years have been PERFECT weather and judging by the weather the last few weeks the weather should be cooler but it could be hot, windy, rainy, or a combo of them all. I will keep my fingers crossed for you though because it is a GREAT race and as I am writing this I am disappointed I am not running!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not in your time range (I'm a 4hr runner), but everything everyone says here is spot on.

Hopefully you got into a start corrals -- that's pretty key to having a shot at your goal time. If you're open corral, you're behind many much slower runners and you'll be dodging people the whole way. (I think qualified corrals go to 4hrs and under, so these are still decent runners but not as fast as you.)

Weather is a total crap shoot although we've had amazing running weather this year.

Elevation is flat flat flat. I always find the slight hill around mile 2 gets me. Apparently it's a 16ft climb. This is actually a good chart -- check out the scale. http://www.runnersworld.com/...-bad-heartbreak-hill

Aids stations are solid. Watch out for the banana peel station somewhere around mile 18. It might be okay still for you since you'll be early, but by the time I get there it's a comedy of errors & slip n' slide waiting to happen. Nothing but wet bananas peels everywhere for people with tired legs.

One other tip: know the route to get your gear and exit afterward. It's kind of awful with all the security fences they put up. I ended up walking some 5miles last year post-run just to get my stuff and get to Michigan Ave for a cab.

Oh... and because it's Chicago, if you go to Lou Malnati's or Pizano's and order a deep dish pizza it's excellent carb loading. If you go to Giordano's, order light cheese and you'll be solid too. If you're going to a different pizza joint for carb loading, I can probably tell you exactly how to order for just the right amount of cheese.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the idea about the pizza, that's probably the best advice I got yet! I'm from NYC so I'm used to good pizza, but I must say that the last time I was in Chicago the deep dish was excellent. I'll be staying with friends that live on the course, so I'll tell them that I want some good pizza the night before and they will probably take me to their spot.

In terms of the hill at mile 2, when you said 16 ft and hill in the same sentence I almost laughed. Something about that is funny, but I guess its all relative to what you are used to running. Near me the biggest climbs are about 200 ft, which sometimes feel hard, but I always try to think of them as speed bumps. I know that other places people are running up much bigger climbs that make what I'm doing look like a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What time should I be in the start corral if I'm looking at running a 2:48? (I don't want to have to weave around any more people than necessary) Corral A has runners up to 3:15. It opens at 5:30 and closes at 7:20. Do I need to be there really early if I want to get a spot towards the front of the corral or do people do a good job of seeding themselves? At the local marathon I did last year this wasn't something I had to worry about!
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [clarkoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically people do a terrible job of self seeding. I don't think you need to get there too early, you may just need to plan to be a bit aggressive in working your way through the crowd to get to the front.

Curious, has anyone run in the American Development Program corral? I'm running with the program (I'm a female) and I've assumed that's a smallish group and won't have to jockey too much for position but maybe I'm wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a tangent perspective, start on the left side and stay left until the turn onto Jackson at mile 2. All the turns are left up until then (and in general there are more left hand turns on the course). For the last couple of weeks I've been writing the turns on the course and at what mile so I can minimize any time loss to tangents. I'm sure when I'm hurting all of this knowledge will be totally lost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran 2:31 there in 2010. The great thing about Chicago is that while typically you can end up in no-man's-land running times 2:30-45, you'll never be gapped and always have people to run with. So, don't try to keep up with certain people just because you don't want to get gapped. Run your splits and there will always be people nearby.

It's tremendously flat (biggest hill is the overpass at mile 25), so patience is key. The final few miles are tough because it's just a straight shot for about 3 miles from 22-25 and if you aren't feeling good (who is at that point), it's rough. Chinatown right before then is a good boost, just don't lose your head and cook yourself. Weather is anyone's guess... Prepare for about anything, wind/snow/heat/locusts..
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call on staying to the left. I wish I could give you an answer about the american development corral, that corral only exists to me in my dreams.

In regards to self seeding, I guess the strategy will be to prepare for any weather with plenty of throwaway clothes, wide mouth gatorade bottle, and just push to the front and hang there for a while. I'd rather get there 30-40 minutes early than get stuck behind everyone. The best way to look at it I suppose is that if you are running 2:40ish then you will likely finish within top 200-300/45,000 so making sure that you start within top 200 is very important.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked with my buddy about the pizza situation and had to report back. At first he wanted to go to Lou Malnatis, which is where I ate last time and loved it. Then I mentioned to him that hopefully 40,000 other people in the city on Saturday night aren't planning on carb loading on pizza so he then suggested going a little out of the city to Palermos95th. Any thoughts, this pizza is serious business!?
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [clarkoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you need to be in the corral too early. You can move up when you get in the corral. I would get there and sit on the grass outside the entrance until about 15 minutes to start then move my way through the people up to where I wanted to be. Good thing is A isn't that busy but you can move you're way to the front if you want.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Olympic Development/top 100 program corral is awesome, best perk possible in a race like that. You get your own tent to warm up in, bathrooms, etc.. Then they take you right up to the start line behind the elites so you never need to jockey for position. Also makes the first few miles much less chaotic than normal for a race that size. Also allows you to get in with people to run with most of the way. It spoiled that race for me! Great experience!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pizza in Chicago is very serious business.

Lou's is a solid choice and if you go to the one on State Street (1120 N State) around 5pm you can get a table without much of a wait. You won't be eating until 6 anyway and you can easily stretch that to 6:30 or so before you have pizza in front of you. Also, there's a new Gino's East in River North (500 N LaSalle) that most people don't know about, so you could maybe try there around 5:30 and not have to wait for hours. Otherwise, I'd seriously recommend simply ordering delivery to wherever you are. It's generally a more enjoyable experience and you can eat whenever you want. Order about 1hr ahead of time.

I have not been to nor heard of Palmero's but there are a lot of great pizza places in this town.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [clevercoyote] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know what the qualifying standards are for getting into the American Development corral?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The qualifying standards for the American Development Program are 2:30 for men and 3:00 for women (10 minutes faster for non-US citizens). You can also qualify with a 1:10 or 1:22 half marathon. Details are here.

I haven't seen anyone mention it so far, but if you are used to pacing using a GPS watch, be prepared for it to be kind of wonky in the first few miles. The combination of the skyscrapers downtown and the tunnels you run through at the beginning can cause problems with the GPS accuracy. With the Garmin 910 you can use a footpod to mitigate this somewhat, but you may want to be prepared to pace using the mile markers and elapsed time at least for the first 3 miles. Chicago was my first marathon and a great race. Good luck!
Last edited by: agg: Oct 2, 14 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [agg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great point, I'll be using the 910xt so I'll keep this in mind for the first few miles. Knowing how I usually pace races in the beginning, I am most concerned about going out too hard for first few miles. Keeping my eye on HR will probably be key here to keep it within my target zone, so at the beginning I feel like pace will be secondary to HR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not in your speed class but have done Chicago 6 times. I don't have much more to add to the advice given so far other than enjoy some of the special entertainment (male cheerleaders in drag on Broadway, Elvis on North Ave., dragon dancer in Chinatown, and whatever else neighborhoods put on). I've got a stress fracture this year and can't run. Instead, in my role as team captain, I'm manning the cheering section for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention team at the Charity Block Party where I'll spend my time tracking my teammates and trying to get pictures of them as they go by. This is a two block section at mile 14 where charities set up tents and cheer their runners. We'll be in a bright orange canopy about halfway into the cheering section. Post or private message your bib number and I'll track you and try to get photos as you run by. No guarantees because it's crowded out there, even at mile 14 and I might miss you. The team: http://www.RaceAFSP.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:
Great point, I'll be using the 910xt so I'll keep this in mind for the first few miles. Knowing how I usually pace races in the beginning, I am most concerned about going out too hard for first few miles. Keeping my eye on HR will probably be key here to keep it within my target zone, so at the beginning I feel like pace will be secondary to HR.

Don't pace with the GPS at all. Have GPS on but turn off the auto-lap and physically hit the lap button each mile. They're very well marked. Otherwise, your splits will definitely be off. I've seen that at Chicago many times. If you manually hit the lap button you'll get actual miles that the Garmin thinks are anywhere from 0.95 to 1.05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snotrocket wrote:
Typically people do a terrible job of self seeding. I don't think you need to get there too early, you may just need to plan to be a bit aggressive in working your way through the crowd to get to the front.

Curious, has anyone run in the American Development Program corral? I'm running with the program (I'm a female) and I've assumed that's a smallish group and won't have to jockey too much for position but maybe I'm wrong.

In 2012, I actually got into that corral even though my marathon time was almost 8 minutes slower than the "required" time. I didn't ask for it, or anything, they just put me in there. I certainly didn't deserve it. But oh was that cool, being walked out to the start like Rock Stars...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:
I checked with my buddy about the pizza situation and had to report back. At first he wanted to go to Lou Malnatis, which is where I ate last time and loved it. Then I mentioned to him that hopefully 40,000 other people in the city on Saturday night aren't planning on carb loading on pizza so he then suggested going a little out of the city to Palermos95th. Any thoughts, this pizza is serious business!?

My new favorite (not deep dish) is coal fire. You could also order Pequod's deep dish. Since you are staying with some people you could just order the Lou's for delivery at like noon for delivery when you want it later that night.
Quote Reply

Prev Next