Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheer me up
Quote | Reply
Ok so it's not the worst thing that ever happened to a person, but I've been off training for 6 weeks and counting with infective mononucleosis. I'm on the mend but need to be careful in my recovery to avoid a relapse, so my season is essentially over.

My haomoglobin is low, so I basically have no fitness. I had been working my ass off this last year with really limited free time (young kids) trying to get back into race fitness after a bit of a break, and was finally heading towards some PB form. I feel like a novelist who spent 12 months writing my best book yet only to drop my briefcase and watch all the pages blow away into a river.

So I'm basically being grumpy and feeling sorry for myself. My peers don't understand, because they don't know what it takes to do this training we all do.

And.... my liver function is compromised so I CAN'T EVEN DRINK BEER.

Please tell me that there are a great many people much worse off than I am, and that I should stop being a whinging wuss. It would also be useful if you reminded me that I'm no longer burning an additional 1000 calories a day, and to put the chocolate bar down.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheer me up [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You only burned 1000calories a day through exercise? Must not have been training that hard then ;) /pink

Wish I could make you feel better, just imagine having had a crash or something, then your body AND your bike eould likely be in tatters. Maybe you can scout some september/october events to keep you motivated. Good luck in your recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Six weeks? Boohoo! I haven't been able to train for just over two years due something being majorly wrong with me. Be glad you're healing up and you're only losing a few weeks of your life. I'm jealous! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Puppies = instant cheer! Smile

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Last edited by: ScottWrigleyFit: May 22, 15 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: Cheer me up [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but can you still drink beer? ;-)

Genuinely, thankyou for the appropriate dose of perspective! I don't know what your ailment is but it can't be good if you've been out of the game for two years, so I'm wishing you the best mate.

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is your "window" to tackle all of the low aerobic, less exciting aspect of conditioning that get pushed to the side as we focus on our sbr, or develop those skills we never had time for.
Develop an active and creative stretching routine...twice a day
Take up Yoga.
Do core work until your guts screams.
read up on nutrition
take your bike apart and put it together

they will all pay big dividends when you get back in the saddle

Get better soon

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in a somewhat similar situation last year. I had a bad bout of tenosynovitis in my foot, it effectively undid a winter of hard work and meant that I couldn't race all season pretty much.

I stumbled across this article, and found it really helpful.

http://lifehacker.com/...iving-lik-1670515300

The basic premise is that you "live like a hydra" - when you cut off a hydra's head, another grows in its place.

I changed my mindset and used the time that I was injured to read lots the books that I wanted to read, and learned a lot of Spanish amongst other things.
It was one of the most productive periods of my life in the end.

If you're itching to get going but illness is holding you back, then you might benefit from this approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh, Golly, how about some commiseration? I have had a HORRID season! Started with a spectacular Ironman in Cuba (30min PR on a "long" course) and followed that with pneumonia, then a week of high doses of steroids to kill the asthma flares/attacks, wisdom tooth extraction (#1), GI illness, getting back into the groove and another complicated extraction Monday night - haven't been out of the house since. Still icing and pain meds. ugh. Before this last extraction I really thought I was on the road to recovery and had even entered my first triathlon of the season (September) but now i'm starting to think my immune system is Never going to recover.

AND apparently I am the One person who can GAIN weight on just licuados. WTeverlastingF? I mean at the LEAST I should be shedding some of that prednisone weight, but no way. I'm F'ing GAINING? Who GAINS weight after tooth surgery?

so, i hear you brother, sucks to be us but i'm holding out hope that this will be the last attack to the immune system and then i'm gunning for something. if absolutely nothing else, i'll gun for Feb 2016 (next IM in Cuba). I need something to keep my sane. :) I remember when I got mono back in the early 70s and when the doc told me it was the "kissing" disease I KNEW I could NOT have it because I had not yet kissed a boy so I was safe there. I was SHOCKED when the test came back positive. :) I was SO pissed at that doctor. :)

anyway enjoy your littles. they grow exponentially fast.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glove and Boots are always funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o331HlIeYrw
Last edited by: jaretj: May 22, 15 6:07
Quote Reply
Re: Cheer me up [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
oh, Golly, how about some commiseration? I have had a HORRID season! Started with a spectacular Ironman in Cuba (30min PR on a "long" course) and followed that with pneumonia, then a week of high doses of steroids to kill the asthma flares/attacks, wisdom tooth extraction (#1), GI illness, getting back into the groove and another complicated extraction Monday night - haven't been out of the house since. Still icing and pain meds. ugh. Before this last extraction I really thought I was on the road to recovery and had even entered my first triathlon of the season (September) but now i'm starting to think my immune system is Never going to recover.

AND apparently I am the One person who can GAIN weight on just licuados. WTeverlastingF? I mean at the LEAST I should be shedding some of that prednisone weight, but no way. I'm F'ing GAINING? Who GAINS weight after tooth surgery?

so, i hear you brother, sucks to be us but i'm holding out hope that this will be the last attack to the immune system and then i'm gunning for something. if absolutely nothing else, i'll gun for Feb 2016 (next IM in Cuba). I need something to keep my sane. :) I remember when I got mono back in the early 70s and when the doc told me it was the "kissing" disease I KNEW I could NOT have it because I had not yet kissed a boy so I was safe there. I was SHOCKED when the test came back positive. :) I was SO pissed at that doctor. :)

I hope you reported yourself to WADA
Quote Reply
Re: Cheer me up [slowrunr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What slowrunr said. I have only been sick a week and going nuts so i built a behind the seat water bottle holder out of an old carbon seatpost I had lying around. Also made some more tiny adjustments and started doing bands for swimming. If you can do weights and yoga and stuff like this is adds up in time and you wont have as bad adjustment period when you can get back to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try to look at the positive. For example, in your weakened state there's virtually no chance you'll try Crossfit which means you can continue to keep the "douche" off you.

Speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Please tell me that there are a great many people much worse off than I am, and that I should stop being a whinging wuss.

Thanks.

If you are able to feed your family you are doing just fine!

https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-hunger-us

You will get better and there will be time to train again, but never forget how lucky you are compared to the vast majority!
Quote Reply
Re: Cheer me up [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, I love the suggestion to spend the time optimising bike setup, but I'm already there with you. I tell you, I have been tinkering the hell out of my bike! So far I've...

1. Fitted a Tririg front brake.
2. Fitted a Tririg Stem and a low profile headset cap. Taking a saw to my carbon steerer tube was fun!
3. Drilled the top tube of my P3C to route the cables more cleanly.
4. Replaced the crankarms on my Quarq with 165mm.
5. Purchased the Torhans Aero Bento to mate up with my Tririg stem, so I'm getting the drill out again to fit some bottle bosses.
6. Replaced the spindles on my Speedplay Zeros.
7. Replaced my Vision aero bars with Felt Devox super low stack to improve my position. And carbon nice and shiny!
8. Fitted new SRAM brake levers to my bars so that I could route fully internal, and improve the pull ratio a bit for my Omega.
9. Recabled everything, using lower compression Jagwire outers to optimise the braking with the Omega.
10. Replicated my club kit with a custom design on the Virklon sleeved tri kit.
11. Experimented with helmets in my optimised position to find one that mates perfectly with my back.
12. Fitted a Conti Attack to my Renn disc, backwards for improved aero.

I already had the Renn disc and I've got a Hed Jet 9 at the front, so what I have basically been able to do while I've been poorly is;

1. Made my bike setup as fully ST compliant as is possible without actually going to the wind tunnel
2. Bankrupted myself

So time well spent ;-) and now I just have to get back to being able to pedal the bloody thing!!

But I do like the yoga suggestion, and I have bands in the garage so I might do some higher resistance stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheer me up [noxious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely right, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read ST all day and you will maintain your fitness level and may even become a faster runner.
(but stay away from the Lavender room, they're the crazy ones)
Quote Reply
Re: Cheer me up [noxious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noxious wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
Please tell me that there are a great many people much worse off than I am, and that I should stop being a whinging wuss.

Thanks.

If you are able to feed your family you are doing just fine!
https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-hunger-us
You will get better and there will be time to train again, but never forget how lucky you are compared to the vast majority!

This is verging on LR discussion but how many of those 1 out of 6 "food insecure" people are also overweight or obese??? Quite a few from what i have observed in the grocery store checkout line. I don't mean to seem uncaring or cruel, but a lot of people, both food secure and insecure, could stand to skip a few meals. I have never seen anyone in the U.S. who was literally starving like the people in some parts of Africa.

Also, in a recent news article locally, there was some complaining at the food pantry b/c the free food pantry was out of corned beef. CORNED BEEF, WTF??? I never buy corned beef, not even the el cheapo canned version, b/c it is very expensive. I might buy corned beef hash since, with about 1/2 potatoes, it is consid less expensive.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
U a pimp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

Thanks.

I foolishly raced sick last weekend, ended up crashing in a congested section of the road and ended up with 117 stitches. When they did a chest x-ray, they told me the cold I thought I had was pnemonia. Hope this helps :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Ok so it's not the worst thing that ever happened to a person, but I've been off training for 6 weeks and counting with infective mononucleosis. I'm on the mend but need to be careful in my recovery to avoid a relapse, so my season is essentially over.

My haomoglobin is low, so I basically have no fitness. I had been working my ass off this last year with really limited free time (young kids) trying to get back into race fitness after a bit of a break, and was finally heading towards some PB form. I feel like a novelist who spent 12 months writing my best book yet only to drop my briefcase and watch all the pages blow away into a river.

So I'm basically being grumpy and feeling sorry for myself. My peers don't understand, because they don't know what it takes to do this training we all do.

And.... my liver function is compromised so I CAN'T EVEN DRINK BEER.

Please tell me that there are a great many people much worse off than I am, and that I should stop being a whinging wuss. It would also be useful if you reminded me that I'm no longer burning an additional 1000 calories a day, and to put the chocolate bar down.

Thanks.

Well, to be fair, you did get some action to get infected with mono. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be worse. You could have a PE, come close to dying, then find a brain tumor and come close again.. But hey, it's life and life only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Cheer me up [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:

I hope you reported yourself to WADA

I know you went pink but prednisone is a corticosteroid, not an anabolic one . . . . wait a tick it makes you gain weight? damn poison oak!

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply