Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cheater at Badwater?
Quote | Reply
Posted by a guy on Facebook -

Approximately one month ago, I was fortunate enough to compete in the Badwater 135, "the worlds toughest footrace." This was my fourth finish and I once again found myself extremely fortunate enough to be surrounded by some of the best in the world. To be on the same playground as these athletes has always been truly humbling.

Running is more than a sport to me. Running represents everything life has to offer. The ups, the downs, the struggles, the elation, the passion, the tears, the mental, the internal drive. Nearly every runner I know feels this way. We love this sport more than anything.

I am quite bothered however by what I witnessed on the course this year. It was not just me who witnessed this, it was also my four crew members as well. WE witnessed someone cheating. This was not some minor slip of some minor rule interpretation. We observed flat out and blatant cutting the course. Cheating. Yes, a grown person cheating. WTF??? In addition to myself and my four crew members who witness this, this same person was also observed cheating by two other Badwater runners AND their crew members as well. So in all, three independent Badwater runners and nearly a dozen crew witnessed this. The three runners and their crew do not know each other. They are from different parts of the county. We recently reached out to each other to share what we saw. It was 100% consistent across the board. This runner was seen cheating. Nothing was done. Zero. I have since learned that this person has cheated all across the US in achieving various "records" including marathons, ultra-marathons, and yes, even Guinness Records. This was not their first time cheating at a major event.

I share this not because I have it out for someone. My life is plenty full of other meaningful and positive things to do and accomplish. I do, however, really care about the integrity of this sport. I have reached out to two of THE most respected Badwater veterans before I made this post...asking for their opinion and advice as what to do. "The truth needs to come out," they said. "You need to let the running community know so that change can be made." I care about the integrity of Badwater. I care about the 82 runners who honestly and successfully buckled this year. I also care about the 13 athletes who did not finish the course and respectfully and honorably DNF'd. I care enough about all these athletes to inform them that they were also cheated by this person. We all were. I will stand up and speak out. I will not leave this for someone else to deal with down the road. Enough is enough.
So, in sum, if you are going to claim to have buckled, make sure you actually honestly and legally covered the entire 135 miles in 48 hours or less.
Many of us know the truth already. Now many more of us do as well.

Lets Run thread exposing her as well:

http://www.letsrun.com/...d=5882052&page=0
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why this guy didn't address the cheating issue after finishing the race. Why wait one month?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the years I have been amazed how many I have seen cheat first hand in our sport. More amazing is all of these folks were top racers.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why so cryptic about it? What did the person do? Why didn't the race officials DQ the guy when the infraction was reported by multiple un-related people?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At a local race one guy cheated in a pretty elegant way. About 1/2 mile from a turnaround (no timing wires at the turnaround) he pretended to retie his shoelaces at a bend in the road until everyone who saw him stop had run out of sight then he ran back. Cut a mile off the run course. Risky because he would have finished ahead of people that passed him. Suppose he collected his medal and went hiding somewhere near the finish line for 10 minutes. Then he came out to mingle.

Probably happens more often than any of us know.

Timing wires at every turnaround and every out and back. No exceptions.

Multi loop swim? Come out to the beach, run over the wires, and back in.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:
Why so cryptic about it? What did the person do? Why didn't the race officials DQ the guy when the infraction was reported by multiple un-related people?

I second this thought. Why not out the person if they're so well known everyone should know. Put an * on his finishes and records. Also why wait so long to out the guy?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin83 wrote:
cjbruin wrote:

I second this thought. Why not out the person if they're so well known everyone should know. Put an * on his finishes and records. Also why wait so long to out the guy?

Her. And doubt they are well known, the world records are for sequence, not time.

The lets run thread goes 41 pages over 2 months.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After doing Badwater, it takes close to a month worth of bed rest before you're coherent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it Frank Cardia ?
frank.jpg

Dilbert wrote:
At a local race one guy cheated in a pretty elegant way. About 1/2 mile from a turnaround (no timing wires at the turnaround) he pretended to retie his shoelaces at a bend in the road until everyone who saw him stop had run out of sight then he ran back. Cut a mile off the run course. Risky because he would have finished ahead of people that passed him. Suppose he collected his medal and went hiding somewhere near the finish line for 10 minutes. Then he came out to mingle.

I have never wanted to come out of the water for a second loop, but.

They need to have a timing mat before the swim also. I saw a top person this year start in the earlier way and was let off since could not get "proof". I guess his impossible splits were not enough "proof"

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say the dude should get over himself and this integrity BS.

Congratulations, you completed "the world's toughest footrace", the Badwater 135. I just checked and I couldn't care less whether you did it, you didn't do it, you cheated by cutting, or you rode a bike. Does "135" represent the number of people in the world who actually care about this race? Is this cheating a national crisis?

If this was me, I'd care about me and whether I completed the course with honesty and integrity. If others cheat, that's on them. My advice would be for you to care about you and do things for you. Whether it's the Badwater 135 or the Turkey Trot 5K, worth in finishing comes from within. Only you know what it took to finish and if you put out an honest and best effort. If somebody else wants to cheat their way to the free T-shirt, that's on them. But, your finisher medal and accomplishment isn't cheapened by a cheater.

However, if you really did want to call somebody out, JUST DO IT! Don't go to social forums with passive aggressive posts and talk of honesty. Actually do something about it and contact the sanctioning bodies that can take action.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A BW finisher gave the details and the ID of the person on LetsRun. She was physically an hour behind him at mile 91. Then, without ever passing him and his crew, showed up at the finish line way ahead of him.

She got in a car and was driven up the road, got out, and restarted running. Pretty obvious.

And yes, I think it does matter. If I finished BW and this scumbag did this, I'd be raising holy hell. Silence will destroy the integrity of the event and the sport. See: Pro Cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

Congratulations, you completed "the world's toughest footrace", the Badwater 135. I just checked and I couldn't care less whether you did it, you didn't do it, you cheated by cutting, or you rode a bike. Does "135" represent the number of people in the world who actually care about this race? Is this cheating a national crisis?

If this was me, I'd care about me and whether I completed the course with honesty and integrity. If others cheat, that's on them. My advice would be for you to care about you and do things for you. Whether it's the Badwater 135 or the Turkey Trot 5K, worth in finishing comes from within. Only you know what it took to finish and if you put out an honest and best effort. If somebody else wants to cheat their way to the free T-shirt, that's on them. But, your finisher medal and accomplishment isn't cheapened by a cheater.

However, if you really did want to call somebody out, JUST DO IT! Don't go to social forums with passive aggressive posts and talk of honesty. Actually do something about it and contact the sanctioning bodies that can take action.

You must be new here :)

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have witnessed cheating in races many times and am always amazed someone would do this. However, a relatively new phenomenon I have witnessed is whenever someone brings to light an example of an obvious cheater such as this thread or the mtb race cheater blog they are invariably blasted: "why don't you just worry about your own race", "why did you wait so long to report" , "don't you have better things to do than bust cheaters ", "your ego is too big if this upsets you". If calling out someone that you have witnessed cheating is just as bad as cheating itself then good luck trying to find a "clean" sport to participate in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can not stop reading the thread on Lets Run about this, it is killing my productivity!!

CJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Believe it or not, our sport is rampant with cheaters, and not just the behind closed door needle in the arm, or out in the open drafting. Blatant course cutting has been going on since the beginning of triathlon, and has only gotten worse with the growing numbers of folks that are unprepared. But even they are only half the problem, the pointy end are just as guilty of blatant cheating too. One of these days we will probably have a blatant cheater in the Hall of Fame.. (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [cjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjj wrote:
I can not stop reading the thread on Lets Run about this, it is killing my productivity!!

CJ

I'm up to page 18... There is so much crazy going on in that thread it makes the homemade disc wheel kid look normal by comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luckily (or maybe not), I've been keeping up with it since it started so I didn't have to try to read all 40+ pages at once (just checking it multiple times a day for any updates). Had quite a flurry of posts today, keep reading it's getting good/better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it's time to dust off the ol' torch and pitchfork.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [vi3telit3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone should take the 'buuuurn the witch' jpeg from Monty Python and photoshop m-dot tattoos and compression socks onto the villagers.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [CobraKai Triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CobraKai Triguy wrote:
DJRed wrote:

You must be new here :)

The cheater AND her husband got eviscerated on letsrun . . .

and CKTG, the turkey trot will be LEGIT this November

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked Letsrun.com

Woah, there's a lot of hate on that site. Not just about this topic - just general hate.
Won't be going back there.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

Easy solution....last 2 races ive done had the hairbands handed out at the turn around point....cant cheat it that way
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. That's the biggest reason I stopped visiting that site, too many hateful people.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater at Badwater? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cuidado hay llamas!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply

Prev Next