Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheap computer recommendations
Quote | Reply
Looking for cheap computer recommendations. I use a Garmin 920xt mostly for long rides and races, and a vivoactive for short rides and training. I have a quick release but no mount, and have heard too many horror stories about people loosing their watches during a race to care to take that risk. For years I've just pronated my wrist to see my speed on my Garmin, but the angle is a little tough on the ski bends aerobars I got last year so I wanted something on the handlebars I could just glace at.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap computer recommendations [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trywin had some cheapo's like the D series that could be used as a display for ANT+ devices, but they're shoddy at best. Bontrager/Catseye had a unit, can't recall the name that could do 3 fields with power. Lezyne's super GPS steps up quite a bit to the $130ish range, but gives you 4 data fields and BTLE/ANT+ which is nice. From there you're into Wahoo/Garmin 510/520 territory over 200.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried rotating the 920 so it's on the back of your wrist? Watch is right in your face when you do that when you are in the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap computer recommendations [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Have you tried rotating the 920 so it's on the back of your wrist? Watch is right in your face when you do that when you are in the aerobars.

Yes that was great when I used S bend but the fitter put me on ski bend. Seems I just can't get a good angle since. Riding position much improved but lost that one minor ability.

Quote Reply
Re: Cheap computer recommendations [runwichi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runwichi wrote:
Trywin had some cheapo's like the D series that could be used as a display for ANT+ devices, but they're shoddy at best. Bontrager/Catseye had a unit, can't recall the name that could do 3 fields with power. Lezyne's super GPS steps up quite a bit to the $130ish range, but gives you 4 data fields and BTLE/ANT+ which is nice. From there you're into Wahoo/Garmin 510/520 territory over 200.

Someday I'd like to get a 510/520 but after a long laundry list of other items. Ill talena look at those other suggestions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's also Bryton, which has a few models for under $100.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could always mount it on your bars around a piece of pipe insulation.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap computer recommendations [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
You could always mount it on your bars around a piece of pipe insulation.

I think he's mostly talking about racing where he doesn't want to have to unstrap it from anything to take it on to the run but he still wants feedback on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap computer recommendations [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
There's also Bryton, which has a few models for under $100.

I have a Bryton Ride 100, and I've been pretty happy with it. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap GPS that doesn't need power. I use it mostly as a display device so I don't have to look at my watch to see speed and cadence. At $63 on Amazon it was a no brainer to get it instead of a bike computer, especially since I already had a garmin cadence/speed sensor.
Last edited by: bufordt: Apr 9, 17 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my 920xt with the quick release. I have the xlabs torpedo versa 500 for the bike which has an awesome adjustable garmin mount.

Wear the 920xt on wrist for swim, then I move unit from wrist strap to versa mount for bike, then put it back on my wrist for run. Works well for me and saves expense of a dedicated bike computer. Never had issues with quick release feeling not secured.
Last edited by: DDMike: Apr 9, 17 8:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Looking for cheap computer recommendations. I use a Garmin 920xt mostly for long rides and races, and a vivoactive for short rides and training. I have a quick release but no mount, and have heard too many horror stories about people loosing their watches during a race to care to take that risk. For years I've just pronated my wrist to see my speed on my Garmin, but the angle is a little tough on the ski bends aerobars I got last year so I wanted something on the handlebars I could just glace at.

Picking up a new or used Garmin Edge 500 is probably the way to go. $140 certified refurb is an decent price although these devices are likely getting harder and harder to come. I don't know if Garmin is even making them anymore but the 500 was and is still a great little, but very powerful device. Fwiw, pronating the wrist takes your eyes off the road probably more and is less aero than just having it be right in front of your face as you try to turtle your neck and look down.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply