Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chattanooga 70.3
Quote | Reply
Heading out Friday from L.A., first time at the race. Anyone else?
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None of my business, just curious how you decided on Chattanooga race all the way from LA? That's a long haul.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
None of my business, just curious how you decided on Chattanooga race all the way from LA? That's a long haul.

Right? I have a friend that likes to go around the country (and rest of the world really) trying different 70.3 races and seeing new cities and I tag along sometime. We've done Miami and NOLA this way. This year we picked Chattanooga, agreed it's an odd choice. So a few of us are going for a long weekend with a race mixed in. Actually 5 people racing 2 support
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 15, 16 18:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Can't wait to get the season started. Weather not looking to good for the weekend. Will be down there on Friday morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not ready.....but I will be there.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be there, first 70.3...I guess a good time for my first post on this forum also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chatt was my first ever 70.3 last year. This weekend it will be my fourth 70.3. It's a great race that's got just the right amount of challenge without being too unbearably difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
SkipG wrote:

Right? I have a friend that likes to go around the country (and rest of the world really) trying different 70.3 races and seeing new cities and I tag along sometime. We've done Miami and NOLA this way. This year we picked Chattanooga, agreed it's an odd choice. So a few of us are going for a long weekend with a race mixed in. Actually 5 people racing 2 support

you'll like chattanooga. my favorite race so far. are you staying downtown? race support? what's that? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
I'm in. Can't wait to get the season started.

No offense, but I kinda hate you now that you are in M40-44.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
SkipG wrote:

you'll like chattanooga. my favorite race so far. are you staying downtown? race support? what's that? ;)

Downtown Residence Inn looks to be right at the race.

Weather looking decent, some rain Saturday but clearing Sunday and a bit cooler at high 70s/80.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right downtown at residence inn. Perfect for the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick, you're a beast bro. I'll be happy with this race if I can get close to your times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not racing (who am I kidding? participating) this year. Volunteering instead. Will be at swim start at 4 am. Good thing I'm local. Hope you enjoy your stay here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, driving up from South Florida Thursday and bringing a bunch of friends, all racing. My goal is just to beat my friends...but I have some fast friends :-).
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [RCope] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Driving up from Jacksonville, Florida with about 12 friends also doing race.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You better hammer the bike with that 90/Disc setup you got. Looks smokin fast.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! (For at least a strong swim/bike training day)

My IT band hasn't healed as much as I need to run 13 miles, much less race it. But I'm local and signed up for the full in September, so that's the real goal.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least the weather looks like it's cooperating a bit, right now Sunday is looking nice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
At least the weather looks like it's cooperating a bit, right now Sunday is looking nice

Maybe you'll get a nice overcast day. Last year was overcast for FOP and MOP finishers. Rainy for some of the bike but overall good.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice weather yesterday. Really good day for a race in the Southeast.

Was anyone else surprised by the number of cars on the bike course? I noticed very few side streets managed by volunteers to allow car access. The cars didn't seem to know what to do once they were on the course and there was very little room to get around. I felt like you were provided with two choices, sacrifice your race and sit behind the car til it turned off the course, or cross the yellow line and risk a DQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeh, I spent a match or two going around 2 cars...no fun. On the plus side, the bike course was fast, especially on the outbound leg where we had a little wind help.

As an aside, my wife and I were riding down the elevator on race morning when Heather Jackson jumped in. I congratulated her on her Kona finish last year. She looked somewhat surprised...either because an old guy recognized her or because I knew she had a nice finish last year. She was very nice and thanked me and went on to win later that morning. My positive vibes clearly helped her win. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me and my dismal running ability.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
Nice weather yesterday. Really good day for a race in the Southeast.

Was anyone else surprised by the number of cars on the bike course? I noticed very few side streets managed by volunteers to allow car access. The cars didn't seem to know what to do once they were on the course and there was very little room to get around. I felt like you were provided with two choices, sacrifice your race and sit behind the car til it turned off the course, or cross the yellow line and risk a DQ.

Yes, my main complaint about the race which was made much worse by a pair of drafting pelotons that were not just in a draft line (around which a car might have passed) but one big group. Caused the car to slow down, and me behind it, so I slow down, or draft it, or cross the yellow, or pass on the right. All options are either illegal or stupid (except slowing down I guess).

I was in the first 50 or so off the dock so had an open and clean course through 30 when the Tour de France came through. I was actually wondering if the road was closed on the outbound as I saw no cars, until a caddie passed me near the turn

It was after the turn off Andrews back north that it got interesting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I only had one group pass me and even then I don't think the drafting was intentional. I got a fairly late start so the course was crowded and the pack would thin out until they'd come up on some slower riders and it would be a tight pass and it would kind of clump back up. After the pass the group would thin out again until the situation repeated itself. I thought it was more of a casualty of a crowded course than intentionally drafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a group come off the bike all wearing the same kit. I thought to myself what are the odds that all those guys would finish the bike together unless the intent was to ride together and draft off each other. I wasn't racing btw, I volunteered.
Quote Reply

Prev Next