Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing bime from 2x7 speed to 2x10 speed
Quote | Reply
Hi fellow ST.
So i have a 2005 atomic mamba 14 speed bike
In Reply To:
and am looking at changing it to a 20 speed.
I have just bought sti shifters, rear derailers.
My question is do i need to change the crankset .
The bime currently has a lasco f-12 b crankset on it .
Thanks for everyones help
Quote Reply
Re: Changing bime from 2x7 speed to 2x10 speed [kangafitness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the distance between the rear dropouts... 126 or 130mm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call me and we'll talk it over.

Quote Reply
Re: Changing bime from 2x7 speed to 2x10 speed [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is that damn "Like" button?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did this not long to long ago (9speed to 11speed) and yes you will need to replace the crank or at least the chain rings if that’s possible. It was my experience that the 9 speed chain rings are wider (at the tooth / chain interface) and when using a new 11 speed chain, it would seperate the chain at the pins and fall off. So I needed to change the crank to a new 11 speed crank to stop the chain from splitting. Hopefully this makes sense. Overall it was an enjoyable experience where I gained a ton of knowledge on the finer points of bike mechanincs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current crankset might be OK.

It might work better with a 10-speed inner chainring (obviously with the same BCD, 110mm or 130mm, I don't know which you have).

However, 10-speed square taper cranksets are cheap anyway on eBay. I have many 1000kms on my FSA Vero ST crankset, it's still going strong, no worries, sometimes older tech is the best.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Changing bime from 2x7 speed to 2x10 speed [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you guys are choking on the wrong ball of wax. 7spd is a prior generation, narrower width freehub. You'd need the chainstays spread, which can only be done by a good LBS, and can only be done on a steel (or maybe titanium) frame. AFAIK, alum is a no-go, and carbon would be a total non-starter. And after all that, you need a new wheelset (rear at least) also.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing bime from 2x7 speed to 2x10 speed [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point!

However, the OP could remove a sprocket and spacer, and run 9 of 10 sprockets from a 10-speed cassette on his current 7-speed rear wheel. As long as the limit screws are set up correctly, this will work.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You still didn't answer my question.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing bime from 2x7 speed to 2x10 speed [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
130mm
Quote Reply