Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chamois cream for really long rides...
Quote | Reply
I mainly race gravel endurance cycling these days, so I'm typically in the saddle somewhere in the 6-14 hour range. I'm looking for a chamois cream that can go the distance. I've been using A&D ointment (regular, not Zinc). It has good staying power, and mostly does the trick. However, I generally end up with heat rash & pimples. I believe this is probably from the A&D clogging my pores and not letting my skin breathe. Is there anything better?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have nothing to compare it to, but I am happy with this purchase.

Assos Chamois Cream (4.73 oz.)

It did it's job for an 11 hour ride, then again for a 13 hour ride. I re-applied on the 13 hour ride but probably did not need to.

I would use it more often for shorter rides but it is so expensive.

Good luck.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree on the Assos! ^^^^^ I've used quite a few and this one is by FAR the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mad Alchemy Pro+ Chamois Cream
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the skin sake. I find it lasts longer than others such as deez nuts or others. It's a thicker cream, that prevents blisters as well as treats at existing issues. Antibacterial and anti-fungal. One tune lasts a long time

Skin Sake 3577601 Athletic https://www.amazon.com/...cp_api_IkrvzbGKWDMB4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge fan of the Assos as well and have been using it for about 10 years with zero saddle sores. It has the perfect viscosity to hold up for a long time. I use it pretty liberally so only get maybe 5-6 rides per tub.

One thing to note: it contains witch hazel and menthol, which gives you the "aqua velva" aftershave sensation when you first put it on. Supposedly helps combat saddle sores. It's not a big issue but the first time I used it that feeling freaked me out a little!
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Assos on long rides. The best I have tried for ultras.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you currently using A&D why not try calmoseptine? That stuff is thick and hearty (used it as a recommendation for my son to help out with diaper rash). But it is worth a shot to try out. In fact....I might give it a go the next time I get out for a ride (whenever that may be....sigh young kids means little time for myself). Although I don't ride nearly as long as you do (maybe at most I might get in a 1-2 hours ride if I'm lucky 1 or 2 times a week).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally can provide an update on using Calmoseptine instead of traditional chamois creams. It is tingly on the skin like how DZ Nuts is. Really thick stuff and I used it on 3 different rides. Only 1 was a longer ride at a tick under 2 hours. Worked well and there is still some of it stuck to my chamois from my bibs even after washing. Stuff is really hard to wash off your hands unless you wipe it off with a paper towel. Felt no chafing or discomfort at all in my crotch area. So far so good and it is also meant to treat skin issues too.....I might switch to this stuff permanently once I run out of my normal stuff (using Butt'r currently).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jul 10, 17 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's probably not the best chamois cream, but Chamois Butt'er comes in 'single serving' packets which are easy to keep in a jersey pocket and reapply as necessary. I always keep a few of these around for longer rides. I start with 'the good stuff' and then use these towards the end of the ride. Many of the above recommendations are good. They are the size of a gel packet...don't eat them though:)
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been using regular old body glide and it seems to work well for up to 3ish hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assos for me too. I used to use Ozone Elite but find Assos much better and only slightly more expensive. I've used it for up to 10.5hrs in the saddle and had no issues at all. In my experience it lasts as long as any ride. I haven't noticed any tendency for it to dissipate even on wet rides.
I've occasionally used Body glide but it's a poor substitute for proper chamois cream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
assos cream and assos bibs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doc's Skin Care Chamois Cream is hands down the best I've ever used, plenty of 5+ hour rides on it, longest so far is 8.5.

Also second the suggestion to bring a single-serve Chamois Butter along with you on long rides just in case you need to re-apply.
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so learned the hard way that, even for short rides, chamois cream is essential as I gave myself a bit of a saddle sore on a ride that lasted only an hour. didn't think i needed it for that short of a ride (oops). If you find yourself forgetting, suntan lotion actually works as a decent substitute for short rides anyway

+1 on Assos. Used it for double centuries (14+ hrs) with no issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
It's probably not the best chamois cream, but Chamois Butt'er...

Nope. It's second from the bottom. Only above "bluerub."

Brave Soldier Friction Zone has been my favorite after lots of different products. Assos and DZ Nuts are also awesome, but this Brave Soldier will give you much more for the money. The tube is also small enough to throw in a pocket and take with you if you want. I had no complaints after a recent 200k on newish saddle. It seems small for the money, but you truly don't need much at all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think that you are experiencing clogged pores, then you need to shy away from ointments / creams that contain petroleum jelly and/or petrolatum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another vote for Assos

though I will often use a layer of aquaphore, and then Assos, but most importantly for me, I wear Desoto 400 mile bibs which have zero seams in the soft tissue area - this is key. Pair those shorts, aquaphore, assos, with an ISM saddle, and I'm golden for 5+ hours.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [heliskyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heliskyr wrote:
I'm a huge fan of the Assos as well and have been using it for about 10 years with zero saddle sores. It has the perfect viscosity to hold up for a long time. I use it pretty liberally so only get maybe 5-6 rides per tub.

Wow, so $3-$4 every time you go for a ride -- and that's in chamois cream alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
http://www.bagbalm.com

This. I used bag balm, then won some chamois cream so tried it and went right back to bag balm. The chamois cream seems to be water soluble, at least more so than the balm. Bag balm does not readily wash off with soap and water (or sweat) which, to me, means it stays on longer. Good stuff and pretty reasonably priced.
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not cheap! That's for sure. I've had one saddle sore in 15 yrs of riding (the one time I didn't use a chamois cream) and would've paid a lot more to have avoided that situation! So as long as it keeps working, I'll keep paying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always apply some Chamois cream in T1...
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [Minicane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minicane wrote:
damn lucky wrote:
http://www.bagbalm.com

This. I used bag balm, then won some chamois cream so tried it and went right back to bag balm. The chamois cream seems to be water soluble, at least more so than the balm. Bag balm does not readily wash off with soap and water (or sweat) which, to me, means it stays on longer. Good stuff and pretty reasonably priced.

Been using Bag Balm since I started triathlon 10 years ago. I won't use anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: Chamois cream for really long rides... [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had any trouble with it damaging-staining-breaking down kit? I've seen mixed reviews
Quote Reply

Prev Next