Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Triple Crown rules?
Quote | Reply
Heated debate with my friends: What are the rules to designate the Challenge Triple Crown winner? Is it the best combination of result in all three events (e.g. like in the Hawaiian Triple Crown of surfing), or do you need to win the three of them?

I'd tend to think it is the first option, but cannot find any evidence to support.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Triple Crown rules? [FranR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I heard on the IM Talk podcast that in order to win the triple crown you had to win all 3 events. I am not 100% sure and the IM Talk guys weren't either but they said that's what they heard. Not sure if the rules are even out but with that HUGE bonus I would guess you'd have to win all 3 that way they try to nudge top athletes to base their seasons around those races...but at the same time if you don't win the first you're out, so maybe it is best finish! Either way really cool bonus for the events!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Triple Crown rules? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was inspired by the Oleg Tinkoff tweet trying to get one GC rider to win all 3 major tours. Nothing is confirmed though of course!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO it makes no sense to announce a huge bonus noone will earn, 9 out of ten years... How many tennis players have won all 4 Grand Slams in the same year?

If this is the case, it is plain wrong, and almost a joke IMHO

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah but I would not compare this to tennis. The distances are the same, courses seem similar, location in the same "general" area. The grand slam of tennis is played all over the world on clay, grass, and asphalt (I think) so those play to the strengths of some and not of others. These races already have a huge prize purse so I am wondering if by saying "if you win them all you make an extra million" they want ALL of the big guns to show up and forget about Kona. Or at least get some of them to focus on Dubai then see. If it is winner takes all I would bet that Torenzo and Ryf will be making sure they are in top condition for Oman, I think that is next. I would hope that they would put a bigger prize purse to the series winner as well if no one wins all 3. But either way it is really nice to see people pumping money into triathlon. Now I just hope that type of money and publicity makes it over to the US.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Win all 3.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article on competitor says "They will each take home $65,000 of a total $300,000 prize purse, and more importantly are the only two athletes eligible for the $1 million bonus up for grabs if any athlete can win all three races in the Triple Crown Series."

I understand why they set it up that way, but it's a major loss of incentive for a lot of great triathletes.

Quote | Reply
reminds me of the Philadelphia Classic $1M prize

FranR wrote:
Heated debate with my friends: What are the rules to designate the Challenge Triple Crown winner? Is it the best combination of result in all three events (e.g. like in the Hawaiian Triple Crown of surfing), or do you need to win the three of them?

I'd tend to think it is the first option, but cannot find any evidence to support.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the "winner takes all" case, the Triple Crown chase went from the full start list & is now down to 1 each (M & F) after the first event, provided that Bozz & Ryf win the other two.

I think highest aggregate finish (Yellow Jersey) makes more sense

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Triple Crown rules? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a way to say "We will pump $3,000,000 into the sport this year" even though it's highly unlikely to ever reach that payout amount. Yes they will have $1,000,000 in prize purses and if the event goes on for a number of years they may have to pay that $1,000,000 bonus out at some point. It's the classic "draw the names using a carrot" trick. If it were me I'd be racing Oman and Bahrain this year as well so I knew what to expect. Next year when I have a legitimate shot to win again I'd be more prepared and not cut the courses.

Think long term not short term and pray the Royal family keeps pumping money into the sport. That being said Ryf has a solid shot at becoming a millionaire this year if her form stays like it has in the past few years. Hell I would have expected Chrissie Wellington to return for this one. Natascha Badmann was winning world championships @ 38 so why can't she?!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Triple Crown rules? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
In the "winner takes all" case, the Triple Crown chase went from the full start list & is now down to 1 each (M & F) after the first event, provided that Bozz & Ryf win the other two.

I think highest aggregate finish (Yellow Jersey) makes more sense

Financially, the "win all three" scenario makes more sense for Challenge and/or whoever's backing the prize money. The "win all three" approach allows them to take out an insurance policy for the value of the purse at a very significant savings. There's probably no risk that they'll have to pay the million no matter what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Triple Crown rules? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone wins the first two legs, I can see some serious some serious bribes being offered for that third race ala what happened in Philly.
Quote Reply