Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge St. Andrews course
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone's done this race in the last few years. I think this is its 3rd year.

First, website says water temps in July have 22C average. I know that Challenge/Tri-Canada have different cut-offs for wetsuits. Has this swim been wetsuit legal in the last few years?

Bike course looks great - closed to traffic, but I'm not sure about the hills on the route. Anything significant?

Run is mostly along the water, from what I can tell, but again, no idea if it's flat or rolling.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge St. Andrews course [powerj33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
powerj33 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone's done this race in the last few years. I think this is its 3rd year.

I have done it every year since inception. Its a great venue and fun race.

powerj33 wrote:
. First, website says water temps in July have 22C average. I know that Challenge/Tri-Canada have different cut-offs for wetsuits. Has this swim been wetsuit legal in the last few years?

It has been wesuit legal each year it has been a challenge race. In 2014 a hurricane blew through the night before the race and it was mandatory wetsuit due to all the rain cooling things off. The first year, 2013, the water was too warm for wetsuits but the lagoon water was so salty it didn't make a difference to me at least.

powerj33 wrote:
Bike course looks great - closed to traffic, but I'm not sure about the hills on the route. Anything significant?

No.

powerj33 wrote:
Run is mostly along the water, from what I can tell, but again, no idea if it's flat or rolling.

Its 'banana' shaped. out and back twice with 1km or so steady climbs at each end and flat in the middle.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge St. Andrews course [powerj33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally awesome course. Did it two years ago. Rolling hills on the bike but fairly fast - good pavement. Hills on the run are gradual and still possible to throw down a good run. Swim was wetsuit two years ago bc of a hurricane. Expect non-wetsuit though because it's in a shallow cove that warms up quickly.

It's a great race, I would definitely recommend it. Depending on where you're coming from there's also some great stuff along the Maine coast that's worth extending the trip a few days.

Quote | Reply
Just wanted to let you know that we are making a small change to the run course for this years race. We are adding an out and back section through Kingsbrae Garden on each of the 2 laps and obviously as a result we will pull the run turnaround a little ways up. Below is a link to the run course which I ran on Tuesday morning this week - ignore all the images of the hotel under construction in the link as this was a few years ago when the Google car went through, although the archway of the hotel does kind of indicate the start of the run course.

https://flow.polar.com/...ing/relive/657377816

Cheers,
Garth
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge St. Andrews course [Mooseman516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea what the water temp is like Garth? Up until this week the temps have been rather cool and rainy so maybe that is keeping it down? Of course, two weeks of sun completely changes that. :)

My first time doing the race - looking forward to it!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge St. Andrews course [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When we last checked the Cove it wasn't full of water yet as the Cove is emptied during the winter and then filled from the Bay of Fundy in the Summer. The town of St Andrews open the Cove to coincide with Canada Day which only leaves 12 or 13 days for the water to warm up, so to answer your question I'm afraid I don't know what the water temperature is just yet.

Thanks for signing up for the race, come and say hi when you get into town.
Garth
Last edited by: Mooseman516: Jun 23, 16 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garth, I just wanted to bump this up to say thanks for a great event! You guys look after all the little details that make for a great experience. The race started exactly on time and there was a ton of time for a swim warmup. Swim distance was bang on (would have been easy to just make it a bit short), well manned bike course, large water bottles at the aid stations that fit in a cage! They were also the kind that crush easily so you can empty them into onboard aero bottles with a single squeeze.

For anyone who has considered it, I highly recommend it. The bike course is not a PR course (I got ~2800 feet of elevation - no sustained or steep climbs, just constant rollers) but it's very fair and 60k of it was on a highway closed to traffic with perfect pavement conditions. The other 30k was open to traffic but I don't think I saw more than 5 cars for the whole time. Great course with no draft packs due to a much smaller field than an MDOT event. There were officials out keeping an eye on things (more than I've seen in the mdot races I've done).

I didn't get to experience the run course due to some back problems but we did walk around while others were running and the aid stations looked great and there was lots of crowd support (even with the rain).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Likewise, thought it was a great event again this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garth and his team put on a great race once again. This event is a real gem for us in the east.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never done an ocean swim before and wondering what it's like to have the salt on you for the rest of the race. I've heard at Kona they have showers after the swim exit and before T1, but not really sure why they want to to rinse or if it really makes a difference since you're going to be sweating. Any thoughts or recommendations here?
Quote Reply
Rev3 St. Andrews course [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Thanks for your message while its a salt water swim its in an enclosed cove so not in the open sea or ocean, usually, calm, easy to sight and yes salty. We don't have showers after the swim but in truth anytime I've ever raced in a sea swim the salt has never been a factor for the rest of the race on my body only if you swallow it as it could make you sick. We have lots of space in the Cove for the race so find your space don't take in the water. Hope this helps.
Garth
Race Director - Rev3 St Andrews
Quote Reply