Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Roth?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a bit of advice and intel. I live in the US, but am debating entering Challenge Roth for 2016. I have raced internationally in Australia and New Zealand so I am familiar with international racing and logistics, but both speak English as the primary language making issue resolution much more simple. I have never travelled to Germany (or Europe for that matter) and have absolutely no idea of how large a language barrier might be, or logistically how difficult or easy it is to get to Roth.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice or experience on logistics getting to and from Roth, and whether lodging around the race site is even available?

And whether this whole not speaking German issue is a big deal there around race time? Or whether it makes getting from an airport to Roth do-able with minimal stress?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [jgrissom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wrote a blog about it. https://coupleofathletes.wordpress.com/...ctators-race-report/

dont worry about language barrier, most european countries out smart us hee haw americans cause they speak multitudes of languages thanks to there better schooling system(s)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you will have any issues at all getting around or sorting things out and the Challenge organisation will be able to respond to your queries in english

more widely - almost everywhere you go, you will find people to be able to assist you in english, when that fails a smart phone and translation app go a long way to assisting in communicating
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello
You can go. German speak english at 90% ...
It s a great great race a d feeling
A must do for atriathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But - be aware: "Due to the decision of the county of Roth, we will from now on use the bike course the other way arround. This also means, cyclists will go down Solar hill beginning 2015 and we will need to fence it off due to security reasons."

http://www.challenge-roth.com/home.html

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [islandman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
islandman wrote:
But - be aware: "Due to the decision of the county of Roth, we will from now on use the bike course the other way arround. This also means, cyclists will go down Solar hill beginning 2015 and we will need to fence it off due to security reasons."

http://www.challenge-roth.com/home.html

April Fools....

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spoiler..

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jgrissom wrote:
Looking for a bit of advice and intel. I live in the US, but am debating entering Challenge Roth for 2016. I have raced internationally in Australia and New Zealand so I am familiar with international racing and logistics, but both speak English as the primary language making issue resolution much more simple. I have never travelled to Germany (or Europe for that matter) and have absolutely no idea of how large a language barrier might be, or logistically how difficult or easy it is to get to Roth.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice or experience on logistics getting to and from Roth, and whether lodging around the race site is even available?

And whether this whole not speaking German issue is a big deal there around race time? Or whether it makes getting from an airport to Roth do-able with minimal stress?

Thanks

I've done Roth as well. I do not speak German. (Am Irish)

The think about most European countries is that they all mostly speak English as well. To varying degrees depends on country and how the area. In the locality of Roth "please, thank you" and "excuse me" will do.

I flew into Frankfurt (one of the largest airports in Europe) and then rented a car and drove on the autobahn to a town nearby and stayed there. Very little hassle.

Great race, the support is amazing. Will go back soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just.... Don't mention the war...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fuck a duck and try to fly
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [Kanipupski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! I am also joining Roth this year!! I am trying to find out if a 39/28 will be enough for climbing the Roth mountains or maybe I have to change the full set to a 36 or a 32 ...
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [Shivavk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be running a 38/28 (155-160lbs) and am not envisaging too many problems. Might be some grinding in there though...
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
they speak multitudes of languages thanks to there better schooling system(s)

Indeed :)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [Kanipupski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kanipupski wrote:
Just.... Don't mention the war...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

Edit: damn....that's not the whole bit. Too bad.
Last edited by: afrizzledfry: Jun 3, 16 4:53
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
synthetic wrote:
they speak multitudes of languages thanks to there better schooling system(s)

Indeed :)
Noticed this too!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Germans speak English better than Americans.

Germany has one of the most efficient transportation systems in the world. Fly to Nuremberg or Munich, rent a car, choose from an enormous amount of accommodation (although the good stuff fills a year in advance).
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Germans speak English better than Americans.

Germany has one of the most efficient transportation systems in the world. Fly to Nuremberg or Munich, rent a car, choose from an enormous amount of accommodation (although the good stuff fills a year in advance).

I've traveled to Germany many times. My experience is that a lot of them speak English well. But Americans speak American, not English. An American needs only travel to England to find a world of difference in vocabulary and grammar. E.g., besides having a very different idea of what a boot and bonnet are (car trunk and hood), Brits go "to hospital" and Americans go "to THE hospital." Things like that.

But your point is well taken, there is no real language barrier in Germany. From my own travels it seems that applies to much of northern Europe...and especially the Nordic countries. It's when you to go Mediterranean countries that you tend to find fewer people who speak English.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth? [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice!!!!! I am opening a post in case you are interested on that also ;)
Quote Reply