Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years
Quote | Reply
Just got this in my email, not surprising considering the announcement of the ITU world championships in Vancouver in 2017. On twitter they hinted at a "Big Announcement" for 2016, and here it is.

I will say, I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the full distance this year, being my backyard ironman distance race my whole life!!

Most likely will only be 2 years then back to the old course, but if it goes well like this, then who knows right?

2016 Valley First Challenge Penticton race distance altered as Okanagan prepares for 2017 World Championships.

The 2016 Valley First Challenge Penticton will be run across one single distance; the world long-course championship distance of 3 km swim, 120 km bike and 30 km run. There remains both individual and relay events over the new format.

"Our 2016 race will be the ultimate preparation event for athletes looking to race the World Championships in Penticton just 12 months later," said Michael Brown, co-race director, Valley First Challenge Penticton. "It will be an exciting week as thousands of athletes descend upon the city to test themselves on the world championship course and race other athletes for spots on the national team."

The five-day 2016 Valley First Challenge Penticton will act as a test event for the 2017 ITU World Triathlon and Multisport Festival.

"Challenge Family's first commitment is to the athletes, and this requires flexibility according to changing environments and markets," said Zibi Szlufcik, CEO, Challenge Family. We're delighted to support the Valley First Challenge Penticton team and the wonderful Penticton community in delivering a successful ITU world championships in 2017."
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, if it's the Canadian Long Course Championship in 2016 does that mean you have to qualify provincially to race or is it open entry?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Less travel costs for Julie Miller.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely played. +1
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say let her race and monitor her for the whole race so she can't cheat and lets see where she finishes. I think that would be embarrassing enough and then with all of the other trial by internet that has been going on will pretty much see her leave the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good questions. It appears there are at least a limited number of general entries available, or to those racing this year. People can sign up for next year at the race.

It does say limited entries available, so whether it's only a subset of available entries, or marketing hype, I dunno.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, you won't need to Provincially qualify. Nationals just means there will be the maximum amount of qualifying spots available (10, I believe).
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [kscheiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kscheiris wrote:
No, you won't need to Provincially qualify. Nationals just means there will be the maximum amount of qualifying spots available (10, I believe).

I did see that there will be 10 slots per age group available!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best news I heard all week. I did IMC 10 times between 2000 and 2012 and spent 2 weeks there this spring biking... I was looking for an excuse to go back in 2016 this time with my kids and now I have it!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any ideas about the bike course? can it be shortened to the ITU distance and still have Richter and Yellowlake?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'Word on the street' is that the ITU long course will be 2 bike loops and 2 run loops.

I can only speculate that the run will be similar to the half course, but the section on main reduced. As for the bike, around Skaha twice has been tossed around. I'm looking forward to something official as I have fond memories of the first 60km of the old IMC course.

While I enjoyed Richter pass, the 7 witches and return from Yellow lake, I'll be happy not to do that soul sucking out and back again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sure have mixed feelings about the announcement, having either watched or raced Penticton since the Scott Tinley / Shingo Tani race back in _______?

I'll be at the top of Yellow Lake from 11:30 to 1:30 THIS Sunday, however, maybe for the final time??

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well as someone who is very interested in the ITU World Champ Festival in 2017 this gives me some idea of the timing of that. Was wondering if Challenge would be incorporated into the festival or if they would be separate events. This confirms the former.

Guessing the festival will end with the Long Course race on the second weekend (last weekend of Aug) with maybe Duathlon the weekend before??? Then cross-tri and aquathon during the week between??

Anyone have any idea of the tentative 10-day WC festival race schedule???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On top of anything else..... great distance.

• Step up from the half without going to full.
  • Less impact on body so you can race more.
  • Takes that chunk of the end of really long training, giving you some of your weekend back.
  • Means you get to train moire fast stuff and a bit less longer Z2.
  • Still a big race occasion, especially with the 2017 in mind.

I think a lot of people will get on this. Brave decision to cancel the Half. But the timing is right. They'll have a bunch of people signing up to get spots for 2017. A ton of people at 2017 anyway. Could be the start of a new ongoing distance for Penticton.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
On top of anything else..... great distance.

• Step up from the half without going to full.
  • Less impact on body so you can race more.
  • Takes that chunk of the end of really long training, giving you some of your weekend back.
  • Means you get to train moire fast stuff and a bit less longer Z2.
  • Still a big race occasion, especially with the 2017 in mind.

I think a lot of people will get on this. Brave decision to cancel the Half. But the timing is right. They'll have a bunch of people signing up to get spots for 2017. A ton of people at 2017 anyway. Could be the start of a new ongoing distance for Penticton.

I agree with all this, which as I said before is why I am glad I pulled the trigger on the full this year, it would have been a shame to grow up with this race in my backyard and miss doing it cause of a knee injury!!

I'm interested in the course as well. Down along Skaha and back could make for a pretty darn fast course too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never raced those distances - 3/120/30, but I've always looked at them and thought they would be "better" than the current classic Ironman distances 4/180/42.

It's that last 60K on the bike, in an Ironman that seems to go on forever, with little change, in position. Then on the run, while it can often be crucial to determining the final results, it's that last 10 - 12k that account for probably 75% of the physical trauma, if you are really pushing it.

I've often thought that it was a bit of a a strategic mistake for Challenge to stick to Ironman's distances be they full or 1/2. For differentiation purposes, alone, I felt that they should have done something different.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 27, 15 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very interesting

was planning on doing the Half in 2016 since thats all im going to have time to train for (wife is due with 2nd in like a week)
Jay - do you think the step-up in distance will make it tough to do on minimal training from 2 kids under 3?
Ive only done Olympics so far - so maybe i'm overthinking the step-up in distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But without wanting to sugar coat things, whether or not this is a good thing for the sport, race, etc, the "epic" part of the course - the bit people drove out to pre-ride - which is really bottom of Richter to top of Yellow Lake is dead, correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I've never raced those distances - 3/120/30, but I've always looked at them and thought they would be "better" than the current classic Ironman distances 4/180/42.

It's that last 60K on the bike, in an Ironman that seems to go on forever, with little change, in position. Then on the run, while it can often be crucial to determining the final results, it's that last 10 - 12k that account for probably 75% of the physical trauma, if you are really pushing it.

I've often thought that it was a bit of a a strategic mistake for Challenge to stick to Ironman's distances be they full or 1/2. For differentiation purposes, alone, I felt that they should have done something different.

I thought it was a 4k swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are correct

In September of 2016, elite and age-group triathletes will compete for world titles on a 4-kilometer swim, 120-kilometer bike, 30-kilometer run course.
http://www.triathlon.org/...hamps_awarded_to_usa

i am more interested in the Richter/Yellowlake. if they include them in the 120K, i am there. its IMC lite. which works for me. :-D
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sources have told me it might be down along Skaha to Oliver ranch Rd back that way as well as McLean. Creek road then a small loop in town adding Vancouver hill

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm a search bar failure, if I am sorry. But what happened at Challenge in the female pro today? I saw McQuaid leading and then no other mention of her, did she get hurt? Triathlon coverage shouldn't be a game of sleuthing.

And anyone who was there, how were the numbers for the full AGers? Their live tracker died most of the day (bad timing). I see 176 entries in the full for 2015. In 2014 there were 238. 2013 had 570 ish. On the topic of this thread, going ITU LD is a great move by the organizers.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [Vans88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so no 140.6 distance for the next two years? This makes me sad, but hopefully this will help in the long term of keeping an event in place.

"Grab a Brew Don't Cost nothing"
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [Vans88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was out there on the course (s) cheering folks on, a few impressions were:

• An improved spectator experience, was really neat seeing the MOP runners and the BOP cyclists at the same time on East Side Road.
  • Obviously the 1/2 was much more of a success than the full.
  • At 1:00 , I went out to Yellow Lake to watch the MOP & BOP cyclists, that used to number in the hundreds and thousands, and spectators that used to number almost the same...DEADSVILLE. I parked anywhere I wanted on the slopes of the climb with no other fans, felt badly for the few cyclists out there, so I set up an impromptu cheering station with my car stereo & a stuffed animal (thinking to myself "so this is how it ends" as lanterne rouge & the sweep truck came by at about 3:15, "a whimper ~not a bang")
  • Neat idea having the East Side run "out and back" section truncated, hence the ability to hit special needs twice within an hour. An enthusiastic but lonely special needs zone.
  • & for 2018???

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mel got a penatly while LEADING the bike apparently. Word I heard was some weird rule modifications at the pro meeting, resulting in some protests and controversy from the pros. Whatever happened with her penatly was directly related to that.
Would be interesting to see what went down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next