Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Knoxville Check In
Quote | Reply
Who's in for Rev 3 / Challenge Knoxville?
This will be my fifth 70.3 and will get me started towards my first 140.6 (B2B in October).
Anyone have insight on the strength of the TN River current? I've never done a river event where we swim against the tide and then turn.

"Some guys they just give up living, and start dying little by little piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racin' in the street." Bruce Springsteen
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Knoxville Check In [Bigcreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in, I would suggest you run some hills. I did the 1/2 marathon there yesterday and was suprised by how hilly it is. The REV3 course is on a lot of the 1/2 marathon course.
My fault for not researching the course before running, I was a late entrant and live 4 hours away. Signed up to get a quick peek at the run course for May. Beautiful area. At 24 degrees I did not bother squeezing in a swim!!
Last edited by: spasmus: Mar 31, 15 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not signed up yet but plan on it. Looking forward to some of the challenge events this season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year going against the current was not an issue. Water temperature was like 66F. There is a practice swim the day before and I highly recommend getting into the water and learning about the swim portion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it as a warm-up test run to doing World's Long Course in Sweden. Never did it before but it looks challenging on both the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigcreek wrote:
This will be my fifth 70.3 and will get me started towards my first 140.6 (B2B in October).
Anyone have insight on the strength of the TN River current? I've never done a river event where we swim against the tide and then turn.

I've done the race 4 times (but not going this year) and a few notes...

- Water can be really cold. Last year was OK but it was in the mid-high 50's a few times.

- First 700ish meters is upstream and then you turn and get the current the whole way back. I did the Oly once and the 500M out took me 11min and the 1000M back took me 11 min :) keep closer to the shore on the way out and further on the way back, just don't swim past the exit ;)

- get ready for hills. 4 major climbs on the bike, two on the run (one short at steep at mile 4 and one long at mile 6-8)

- it's been 90F with crazy humidity and 45F with cold rain

Enjoy, it is a great course, a great city!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Last edited by: rbuike: Mar 30, 15 19:57
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Knoxville Check In [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
- First 700ish meters is upstream and then you turn and get the current the whole way back.

Enjoy, it is a great course, a great city!

I'm in. Not too keen on the upstream swim, but interested to see what Challenge has to offer. I've done 3 Rev3 races and I was hoping that this race would be a little bigger deal. I'll be curious to see how many people show up, as I think Chatt 70.3 will take most of the racers that weekend.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there! I just hope I can get in a few long rides outside before the race!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Knoxville Check In [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Bigcreek wrote:
I've done the race 4 times (but not going this year) and a few notes...

- Water can be really cold. Last year was OK but it was in the mid-high 50's a few times.

- First 700ish meters is upstream and then you turn and get the current the whole way back. I did the Oly once and the 500M out took me 11min and the 1000M back took me 11 min :) keep closer to the shore on the way out and further on the way back, just don't swim past the exit ;)

- get ready for hills. 4 major climbs on the bike, two on the run (one short at steep at mile 4 and one long at mile 6-8)

So I managed to pick a spring warm-up event where all three splits have hills. Great.

"Some guys they just give up living, and start dying little by little piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racin' in the street." Bruce Springsteen
Last edited by: Bigcreek: Mar 31, 15 17:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think I might pull the trigger and sign up. Wish I could race the championship distance. Looks like an intersting setup. Anyone have a course file for computrainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will not be racing sadly (4 months of sickness will do that...) but I'll be manning the Cobb Mobb tent for the weekend.

My suggestion... expect the weather to suck. It doesn't always, but it often does, and changes from day to day. (I was wearing a jacket and coat Monday, and shorts yesterday.)

The swim is moderately tough up to the turnaround, but it's a straight shot both ways so it's tough to get off course. I haven't been out in that area riding this year, but often the roads near downtown are jacked up, I remember nearly wiping out hitting a rough spot the last 1/2 mile back to t2 last year.

Biggest thing... IF YOU ARE PRE-RIDING (to the right) OUT OF TRANSITION AND THERE IS NOT A MAT OVER THE TRAIN TRACKS BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL!! Somebody wrecks there every year without fail the day before the race.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply