Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field
Quote | Reply
Challenge Bahrain has announced its pro field to date and confirmed the start line on 6 December will be one of the most impressive ever seen over the half distance.
Hundreds of age group athletes will race along side the biggest names in triathlon on one of the fastest and most diverse course on the international circuit – high-tech architecture, 5,000 year-old culture, F1 racing and indigenous wildlife all make up the unique 113km course.
The battle for the world’s largest prize purse over the half distance of $500,000 has attracted the best of the best in long distance racing, as well as lured some well-known individuals over from short course racing, making their long distance debut.
No less than nine former and current world champions – Pete Jacobs (AUS), Mirinda Carfrae (AUS), Chris McCormack (AUS), Leanda Cave (GBR), Terenzo Bozzone (NZL), Eneko Llanos (ESP), Julie Dibens (GBR), Catriona Morrisson (GBR) – four Olympic medallists including Jan Frodeno (GER), Bevan Docherty (NZL), Lisa Norden (SWE) – and two Commonwealth Games gold medallists including Brad Kahlefeldt (AUS) will line up on the shores of Bahrain Bay on 6 December.
World-class athletes making their long course debut include this year’s Commonwealth Games gold medallist Jodie Stimpson (GBR), current Xterra World Champion Nicky Samuels (NZL) and Olympic bronze medallist Erin Densham (AUS).
“We are honored to host each and every professional triathlete to the Kingdom of Bahrain to participate in Challenge Bahrain, an event we are holding very dear in our hearts,” said Dr Saqer Al Khalifa, president of the Bahrain Triathlon Association. “Having such a great lineup will most certainly bring us closer to our goals, to raise awareness of the importance and significance of having sports become an integral part of a person’s life in all global societies.”
“A field of this calibre is going to ensure Challenge Bahrain is one of the most memorable races of the year – and it’s open to everyone!” said Zibi Szlufcik, Challenge Family CEO. “Age groupers will race along side the greatest and most inspirational athletes in our sport. Triathlon is the only sport on the planet where everyday people like you and me, regardless of ability, can share the course with the world’s best and Challenge Bahrain is the ultimate showcase of what makes this sport great along with its definition of quality leadership and warm welcome to all.”
The professional athletes confirmed to date for Challenge Bahrain are as follows:
Men – Pete Jacobs (AUS), Dirk Bockel (LUX), Sebastian Kienle (GER), Tim Berkel (AUS), Terenzo Bozzone (NZL), Timo Bracht (GER), Tyler Butterfield (USA), Frederik Croneborg (SWE), James Cunnama (RSA), Bevan Docherty (NZL), Tim Don (USA), Michael Dreitz (GER), Jan Frodeno (GER), Nils Frommhold (GER), Brad Kahlefeldt (AUS), Eneko Llanos (ESP), Chris McCormack (AUS), Luke McKenzie (AUS), Dylan McNeice (NZL), Tim O’Donnell (USA), Rasmus Petreaus (DEN), Michael Raelert (GER).
Women – Mirinda Carfrae (AUS), Rachel Joyce (GBR), Caroline Steffen (SUI), Nikki Butterfield (USA), Leanda Cave (GBR), Erin Densham (AUS), Mary Beth Ellis (USA), Helle Frederikson (DEN), Lucy Gossage (GBR), Sarah Haskins (USA), Heather Jackson (USA), Rebekah Keat (AUS), Meredith Kessler (USA), Carrie Lester (AUS), Annabel Luxford (AUS), Michelle Vesterby (DEN), Radka Vodickova (CZE), Laurel Wassner (USA).
For further information on Challenge Bahrain, visit http://www.challenge-bahrain.com.bh.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by JerseyBigfoot [ In reply to ]
Re: Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field [Saqeralkhalifa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saqeralkhalifa wrote:
Challenge Bahrain has announced its pro field to date and confirmed the start line on 6 December will be one of the most impressive ever seen over the half distance.
Hundreds of age group athletes will race along side the biggest names in triathlon on one of the fastest and most diverse course on the international circuit – high-tech architecture, 5,000 year-old culture, F1 racing and indigenous wildlife all make up the unique 113km course.
The battle for the world’s largest prize purse over the half distance of $500,000 has attracted the best of the best in long distance racing, as well as lured some well-known individuals over from short course racing, making their long distance debut.
No less than nine former and current world champions – Pete Jacobs (AUS), Mirinda Carfrae (AUS), Chris McCormack (AUS), Leanda Cave (GBR), Terenzo Bozzone (NZL), Eneko Llanos (ESP), Julie Dibens (GBR), Catriona Morrisson (GBR) – four Olympic medallists including Jan Frodeno (GER), Bevan Docherty (NZL), Lisa Norden (SWE) – and two Commonwealth Games gold medallists including Brad Kahlefeldt (AUS) will line up on the shores of Bahrain Bay on 6 December.
World-class athletes making their long course debut include this year’s Commonwealth Games gold medallist Jodie Stimpson (GBR), current Xterra World Champion Nicky Samuels (NZL) and Olympic bronze medallist Erin Densham (AUS).
“We are honored to host each and every professional triathlete to the Kingdom of Bahrain to participate in Challenge Bahrain, an event we are holding very dear in our hearts,” said Dr Saqer Al Khalifa, president of the Bahrain Triathlon Association. “Having such a great lineup will most certainly bring us closer to our goals, to raise awareness of the importance and significance of having sports become an integral part of a person’s life in all global societies.”
“A field of this calibre is going to ensure Challenge Bahrain is one of the most memorable races of the year – and it’s open to everyone!” said Zibi Szlufcik, Challenge Family CEO. “Age groupers will race along side the greatest and most inspirational athletes in our sport. Triathlon is the only sport on the planet where everyday people like you and me, regardless of ability, can share the course with the world’s best and Challenge Bahrain is the ultimate showcase of what makes this sport great along with its definition of quality leadership and warm welcome to all.”
The professional athletes confirmed to date for Challenge Bahrain are as follows:
Men – Pete Jacobs (AUS), Dirk Bockel (LUX), Sebastian Kienle (GER), Tim Berkel (AUS), Terenzo Bozzone (NZL), Timo Bracht (GER), Tyler Butterfield (USA), Frederik Croneborg (SWE), James Cunnama (RSA), Bevan Docherty (NZL), Tim Don (USA), Michael Dreitz (GER), Jan Frodeno (GER), Nils Frommhold (GER), Brad Kahlefeldt (AUS), Eneko Llanos (ESP), Chris McCormack (AUS), Luke McKenzie (AUS), Dylan McNeice (NZL), Tim O’Donnell (USA), Rasmus Petreaus (DEN), Michael Raelert (GER).
Women – Mirinda Carfrae (AUS), Rachel Joyce (GBR), Caroline Steffen (SUI), Nikki Butterfield (USA), Leanda Cave (GBR), Erin Densham (AUS), Mary Beth Ellis (USA), Helle Frederikson (DEN), Lucy Gossage (GBR), Sarah Haskins (USA), Heather Jackson (USA), Rebekah Keat (AUS), Meredith Kessler (USA), Carrie Lester (AUS), Annabel Luxford (AUS), Michelle Vesterby (DEN), Radka Vodickova (CZE), Laurel Wassner (USA).
For further information on Challenge Bahrain, visit http://www.challenge-bahrain.com.bh.

Well done compiling such a stellar field. Glad to see that Macca will be there too!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field [Saqeralkhalifa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saqeralkhalifa wrote:
Men
Pete Jacobs (AUS)
Dirk Bockel (LUX)
Sebastian Kienle (GER)
Tim Berkel (AUS)
Terenzo Bozzone (NZL)
Timo Bracht (GER)
Tyler Butterfield (USA)
Frederik Croneborg (SWE)
James Cunnama (RSA)
Bevan Docherty (NZL)
Tim Don (USA)
Michael Dreitz (GER)
Jan Frodeno (GER)
Nils Frommhold (GER)
Brad Kahlefeldt (AUS)
Eneko Llanos (ESP)
Chris McCormack (AUS)
Luke McKenzie (AUS)
Dylan McNeice (NZL)
Tim O’Donnell (USA)
Rasmus Petreaus (DEN)
Michael Raelert (GER)

Women
Mirinda Carfrae (AUS)
Rachel Joyce (GBR)
Caroline Steffen (SUI)
Nikki Butterfield (USA)
Leanda Cave (GBR)
Erin Densham (AUS)
Mary Beth Ellis (USA)
Helle Frederikson (DEN)
Lucy Gossage (GBR)
Sarah Haskins (USA)
Heather Jackson (USA)
Rebekah Keat (AUS)
Meredith Kessler (USA)
Carrie Lester (AUS)
Annabel Luxford (AUS)
Michelle Vesterby (DEN)
Radka Vodickova (CZE)
Laurel Wassner (USA).

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Glad to see that Macca will be there too!

I give the odds of him finishing the race at near zero. He will realize late in the bike or early in the run he has no chance of making any $$$ and quit.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I give the odds of him finishing the race at near zero. He will realize late in the bike or early in the run he has no chance of making any $$$ and quit.

Beat me to it...

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Post deleted by pigpen73 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

X2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bahrain Forum for Human Rights reports that both Nasser and Khalid Khalifawere responsible for the torture of several pro-democracy protesters. Further, the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights has reported that "Following [Nasser Khalifa’s] directives more than 150 professional athletes, coaches and referees were subjected to arbitrary arrests, night raids, detention, abuse and torture by electric cables and other means.”

Is Jane Fonda racing?

Very disappointed in the Pro's to go race this event knowing what has been going on there. Not only are they going to take their blood money, they are also going race side by side with these two.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

He'll have his appearance fee regardless of whether he finishes or not.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to see that Tim Don is now from the USA. I did not know that, when did he defect from the UK?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so glad to not see Craig Alexanders name on this list. Human rights or $500K. Challenge Family gets an F on this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any word on live coverage for the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field [caveAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a shame that it is scarred by the human rights situation. They are otherwise doing everything right.
  • Prize funds high and deep.
  • Men:women ratio of 22:17 is pretty balanced. And makes a good statement in the Middle East.

I hope that it is a success, mainly to encourage other races to step up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they all going full course or are they punking out and doing relays like some did at CAC?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HH wrote:
It's a shame that it is scarred by the human rights situation. They are otherwise doing everything right.
  • Prize funds high and deep.
  • Men:women ratio of 22:17 is pretty balanced. And makes a good statement in the Middle East.

I hope that it is a success, mainly to encourage other races to step up.

The only reason the prize money is so high is because they found an amount, that the pros would turn their backs on human rights and the athletes and coaches that have been and are being tortured. So while the pros are out on the course photo oping with the Princes. They can feel good about the chance to make some cash while in a prison not very far away someone is being tortured because they said something negative about the Princes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending how he performs at 70.3 WC, I'd like to see Lionel Sanders get an invite to this too.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/princes-of-bahrain-ironman-and-torture_n_4178929.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've made some very relevant points but if you continue to spam the thread every other post I hope the mod's ban you.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I'm sure it is in buried in his Challenge contract, but he will get something regardless.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. I used to live there and know quite a lot about what is going on there. I'm just thinking that if putting on a quality triathlon becomes a recognised way for the ultra-rich to measure dicks then that's probably a positive for the sport. I think it addresses a lot of the complaints about the WTC's near-monopoly. Unfortunately there are not a lot of people capable of throwing this amount of money around who obtained it in a "clean" way. It seems like a have-your-cake-and-eat-it situation. I don't think there is much shame in pros taking the money and also speaking out if they are motivated to do so. (Once they are out of the country and can't be tortured for it.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Name me a country and I can probably find a human rights organization somewhere objecting to some alleged violation. In the USA there have been many allegations the US has engaged in torture. Should pro triathlete's boycott Kona? In Canada, there have been allegations that our treatment of aboriginals is a violation of their human rights. Should pro triathletes boycott races here? China, I probably don't need to list the various allegations of human rights abuses there, yet an ITU race takes place there nearly every year.

While I appreciate there is a difference between some of these and direct participation of some of the racers as alleged in this case, I note that there is no sworn evidence from the accusers and no finding of fault by any credible tribunal against the alleged perpetrators of the violations. The allegations have been denied.

Every person has to live with their conscience on these issues but it is far from clear that racing in Bahrain is any greater moral conundrum than racing in dozens of other locales around the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We tortured some folks" - The Prince of Bahrain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really hope none of these pros accidentally collides with a volunteer at an aid station.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Bahrain Announces Stellar Pro Field [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew busy that weekend?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next