Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain gouge on a carbon frame?
Quote | Reply
On a ride today on my Felt DA, not sure what caused it but I may have hit the front DR button (Di2) accidentally and dropped the chain which sucked up between the small rind and the BB housing where it meets the chainstay. After I got home and took the crank arm off I found a gouge from the chain thru the clear coat but not thru to the carbon fabric. It almost looks like a gouge / chip because some of the damaged area flaked away on inspecting it. The gouge is maybe 1/4" wide at the widest oint and about 1' long and maybe .015"-.020" deep at the deepest point.

I'd like to fix this but not sure what to use. I'm pretty sure it's just cosmetic but I still would like to fill the gouge. Do I just tape it off and build it up with clear coat or does this need an epoxy like fill first?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain gouge on a carbon frame? [triitagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went and took a pic. Bottom chip is more like less than .010" deep. The rest is more like a mar through the clearcoat. The chain also caught and ripped off the epoxied magnet for the Elsa power meter.[/url][/img]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the photo, it looks relatively superficial.

I have had a similar experience with my first generation Trek SC9; I ended up doing a light buff to get rid of any loose clearcoat/paint, and then I went over the affected area with some color matched Testors model paint.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't already have one, install a chain drop catcher. Guys I have talked to reckon they are a waste of time, and I don't think mine has ever been needed, but I like the insurance, especially with a carbon frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is just a chip in the clear coat. Overall reliability of the frame should not be affected. Happend to my old sc7.5 and I continued to ride that thing for 10,000+ miles. It is just painful to look at everytime you remove the crank to clean the bike. I would try and contact a rep from Felt inquiring about what you can possibly use to cover up. SuperDave is the Felt rep on these boards, maybe he can help you.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain gouge on a carbon frame? [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:
It is just a chip in the clear coat. Overall reliability of the frame should not be affected. Happend to my old sc7.5 and I continued to ride that thing for 10,000+ miles. It is just painful to look at everytime you remove the crank to clean the bike. I would try and contact a rep from Felt inquiring about what you can possibly use to cover up. SuperDave is the Felt rep on these boards, maybe he can help you.

I like the suggestion of cleaning off the scuffed up clear coat and refilling it with some clear paint. Marine gel coat works well. Better to use 4-5 layers than to glob on a bunch at once.
Do not use heat or chemical strippers.

-SD
Quote Reply