Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain and cassette wear when just used on trainer
Quote | Reply
How often do y’all replace chains and cassettes that are solely used on a trainer. I’m assuming they last longer because no road grime. It’s not a smart trainer so only really use a couple of cogs.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Chain and cassette wear when just used on trainer [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are probably wearing those couple of cogs out.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain and cassette wear when just used on trainer [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same as when on the road. .5% for 11 speed and .75% for 10 speed Shimano. You are right it should last longer because of the lack of road grime. I would still wipe it down though and lube it on a reasonable interval.

Spend $10 and buy yourself the Park Tool CC-3.2 -- If you replace your chain on time I can't imagine ever needing to change your cassette or chainrings.

My 2 cents, YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
How often do y’all replace chains and cassettes that are solely used on a trainer. I’m assuming they last longer because no road grime. It’s not a smart trainer so only really use a couple of cogs.
I had a dedicated trainer bike for 12 years - 8 speed with Shimano Sora. I never replaced the chain and cassette in those 12 years. Both still looked totally fine despite heavy use. I stopped using the bike because the derailleurs and bottom bracket were rusted out and had very high friction and I didn't see any value in replacing the components.

The bike I bought new in Europe in a department store, it cost 300 euro at the time (not on sale). Ugly and heavy bit it fit great. Perfect trainer bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought id bring this back up.
Im finding my direct drive turbo (lemond) feels a bit like pedalling through mud in certain gears. (middle 3-4) where I spend most of my time. The cassette isn't old at all, but looking at the teeth those 3-4 have a more asymmetrical trough, with a deeper cut in at the front.

Would this be the reason they feel like this?
Quote Reply