Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chad Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake
Quote | Reply
as a backdrop, watch this video. (with the sound on!). it's less than a minute. and it has to be THIS call, not any other country's call of the end of the race.

now, watch this:

if you don't watch to watch all 2:14 of it, just forward to 1:30

the color commentator of the 1964 olympic mens 10,000 meters was dick bank. the commentator of this week's women's sprint? chad salmela.

salmela has been (rightly) lauded for his authentic, spontaneous commentary. dick bank? he got fired the next day after his call. the network considered his commentary "very unprofessional."

the network? NBC then and now.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 24, 18 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

I just got back from MN (I grew up there) the day before her race. That clip is uber inspiring. XC skiing is for real there. My HS was state champs in my senior year (no, I wasn't smart enough to ski at the time) we also had alpine skiing.

back here in Sacramento, I've met Mr. Mills socially a few times (one of his daughters (her name is Billie) is a friend of my wife). What a guy; I mean to sit on the couch with him and talk about Ron Clarke and stuff - too cool.

The movie "Running Brave" should be required for kids to see for both it's social and inspirational value.

Speaking of movies, ya gotta see. "Harry and Snowman" [I'll bug you until you do :-) ]

Thanks,
keith

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad has done a great job this Olympics. And this is coming from a person that has been nothing but critical to how NBC has approached endurance sports.
He has the combination of passion for the sport with knowledge of the sport. He also is good at saying the different names. Who would believe that an American would say Klaebo bakken.

Sadly his commentating is not on NBColympics.com, there you have a guy that has no clue what is going on (if anyone knows how I can get Chad's commentating on replays please let me know).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what is this about? You guys aren’t making any sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
So what is this about? You guys aren’t making any sense.

you would need to actually perform according to the instructions in the first post.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Chad Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad discusses that he is a very part time announcer (versus careeer commentator), has known Diggins for over a decade, lives in the same state, and that led to his over enthusiastic call, which, of course was awesome. This could also be why he has more latitude from nbc. I’m not sure about the guy you reference in your video as it relates to his announcing pedigree.

https://www.mprnews.org/...duluth-college-coach
Quote Reply
Re: Chad Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
Chad discusses that he is a very part time announcer (versus careeer commentator), has known Diggins for over a decade, lives in the same state, and that led to his over enthusiastic call, which, of course was awesome. This could also be why he has more latitude from nbc. I’m not sure about the guy you reference in your video as it relates to his announcing pedigree.

https://www.mprnews.org/...duluth-college-coach

They were both great calls, great tv moments, great sporting moments. Both nbc Olympic moments, 54 years apart. I bring it up because of how differently nbc itself perceived each moment, even tho the calls were almost identical.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Chad Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Dan. You made me watch that and get all sobby again! I hadn't done that since yesterday and the day before that, and the day before that, and every other since the race.

This comparison, to me, highlights the shifting role in sports commentary. More and more each year opinions and biases are allowed in sports commentary (frankly all television and radio commentaries) and that can grab viewership. More viewership = more ad revenue.

This was a perfect sports moment, in my eyes (and for my ears). It'll be staying on the dvr for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another link to the call for those of you that don't do Twitter:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/...gins-historic-moment
Quote Reply
Re: Chad Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This content is not available in your location"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two commentators from the UK who do the commentary for the world cup races, they are outstanding and really pick apart each skiers technique. I watch the world cup nordic races on The you tube channel Skiing Vinnie, which has english language coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: Chad Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Thanks, Dan. You made me watch that and get all sobby again! I hadn't done that since yesterday and the day before that, and the day before that, and every other since the race.

This comparison, to me, highlights the shifting role in sports commentary. More and more each year opinions and biases are allowed in sports commentary (frankly all television and radio commentaries) and that can grab viewership. More viewership = more ad revenue.

This was a perfect sports moment, in my eyes (and for my ears). It'll be staying on the dvr for a while.

I cannot watch either of those two without choking up, and I’ve watched the mills finish probably 50 times.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was amazing announcing in the women's cross country race. Now if they could just get someone like that to replace Bodie Miller. That guy puts me to sleep. And I don't think the old NBC would have had Johnny and Tara covering figure skating.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Chad Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn’t agree more about Miller. As exciting as he was to watch, he’s the exact opposite to listen to.

And to further compound things, he made a disparaging remark regarding poor proformance following marriage, and during the commercial break he must have been told to apologize. He’s lucky Dan Hicks is a true pro, because he set the apology up nicely for him
Last edited by: Skyline Chili: Feb 25, 18 6:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was watching the XC race and remarked to my wife that Al Michaels didn't even get that excited when he called the end of the US vs USSR Miracle on Ice game in 1980.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just have one question about all of this. Do you believe in miracles?
Quote Reply
Re: Chad Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:

yes. i believe in miracles. you sexy thing.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:

Well i certainly didn't expect that this morning! Weren't those calls are similarly enthusiastic and US-centric?
Quote Reply
Re: Chad Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Slowman wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:

Well i certainly didn't expect that this morning! Weren't those calls are similarly enthusiastic and US-centric?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am familiar with Hot Chocolates repertoire. And I raise you a
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for making this thread. I cried watching the replay and I'm not even American!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
AKCrafty wrote:

I cannot watch either of those two without choking up, and I’ve watched the mills finish probably 50 times.

I used to race Chad & his brother Cory back as junior skiers, if you know them personally, you'd understand that their enthusiasm is both genuine and entirely organic, not some teleprompter or director fed show boating for ratings. I found it awesome to to have someone with Chad's knowledge about skiing commentating the races. Their background in biathlon makes Chad a shoe-in for continued trips to future Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to share this video with you.
This is Haavard Lorentzen's brother following the 500m speed skating event.
Everyone with a brother understand.
I will not translate all the Norwegian ;-)

https://twitter.com/...893736415232?lang=en
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Homerism is much more allowed and even praised now.
I was listening to the a podcast last night that played Chad and Steve's call and it was mentioned that they were actually in a studio in Connecticut. I think that's pretty cheap by NBC. I get it when they just use a world feed for the really obscure stuff and dub over it in the studio. But, for the freaking Olympics?!
They send a huge staff over there and have about a dozen figure skating commentators but other sports get the studio gig.
I wonder what they did with curling, did they just call it from a bar?
Quote Reply
Re: Chad Salmela, thank you (and thank you NBC for recognizing your (much) earlier mistake [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cant get over it......

"HERE COMES DIGGINS!! HERE COMES DIGGINS!!!!"

every time I choke up, every fucking time.......it will be forever etched....

being a nordic ski racer from Minneapolis Minnesota for over 20 years I have noticed and paid attention to Jessie Diggins for the past 10 years.....her dedication to the team, her work ethic, and her ability to turn herself fucking inside out to win are very special.....

she has been right there....but success in nordic skiing relies on so many thing you cant control.....was, ski flex selection, grind and structure, how the course plays to your strengths, your health.....i knew going in she could win a medal but she might have great efforts and results but not get a medal..........this was the moment when she had enough in her favor to make it happen and she nailed it........watch her on the 2nd leg take it to the best in the world and make them bleed......she beat the sprint right out of them for the finish......inspiring!
Quote Reply