Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo r3 and giant propel
Quote | Reply
I was trying to find out the geometry for the giant to compare it to cervelo r3. I like the fit of the r3 and when I went to test ride the giant they put me on the L. I felt like I was reaching to much. I was a little crunched on time so wasn't able to ride any other bikes that day. The cervelo 56 felt great. But looking at an aero bike. I'm wondering if I should of tried the ML giant from the web site it looks more like the 56 cervelo. The bike shop is a little out of the way so don't wanna drive up there to ride the ML and it be tinny.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo r3 and giant propel [Erockk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a database here of stack and reach. In short, however, the propel and R3 aren't really that close. The ML Giant is 1.5 cm lower and .5 cm longer than a 56 R-Series Cervelo. Most likely they're not both going to be the "right" bike for you. Which doesn't mean you can't make them work, it's just one will be better than the other for your position.

If you've got your handlebar X/Y this should be an easy find. If not, I'd recommend getting a fit that will get you those numbers.

Also, if you're looking at an aero bike, the S2/S3 are great options with the same geometry of the R-Series.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo r3 and giant propel [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I would love to get the s series but I have zero cervelo dealers around me. The r3 was a left over that they still had. I don't like to buy used or off line either so I'm looking at the giant and maybe the felt ar. Waiting on my shop to get some 56 bikes in to try.
Last edited by: Erockk: Mar 31, 15 5:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own and ride both, and can match the same fit coordinates on each bike.

I am on a 58 R3 (note - the 'old' geometry pre-2011) and a L Propel. Different stems and spacer stacks on each.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep in mind the setup of bars/shifters when test riding bikes. The R3 is built with short/shallow bars and if you had the hoods setup tall then there can be quite the discrepancy to a traditional bar with the hoods set lower.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo r3 and giant propel [Ftfrst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point, the stock bars on my Propel were extra-wide, non-flared deep drop. Ended up switching to run S/S bars on both.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo r3 and giant propel [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know thanks. I will ask about that going up soon to test ride again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erockk wrote:
Good to know thanks. I will ask about that going up soon to test ride again.

"The ML Giant is 1.5 cm lower and .5 cm longer than a 56 R-Series Cervelo"

If the Cervelo felt great, there is almost no chance you couldn't make the ML giant feel great either. You would just need a little bit more stack added under the stem.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply