Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cervelo p5 and tririg brakes
Quote | Reply
Am considering replacing the MAGURA brakes on my P5 with tririg brakes. They are sold with an optional hangerless backplate or the standard backplate with a hanger. Which one for front and rear? Any problems with the rear one fitting? I will be pairing this with the enve ses aerobar/ stem combo.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p5 and tririg brakes [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stock version with the hanger is fine for both front and rear. If you wanted to run the No-Hanger Back Plate, you'd need something to stop the cable housing. I don't know whether the ENVE has the ability to do that up front, like our own Sigma X stem or Alpha X cockpit can do. In the back, you'll definitely want to use the stock version, as there's no other convenient way to stop the housing back there.

In the back, you'll need to use enough spacers to clear the P5's chainstays, but otherwise installation is straightforward. You'll get plenty of spacers with the two brakes, but if you need additional spacers, we can provide them at no charge. Also keep in mind that the cable bend back there can be tight, and it may be helpful to have a flexible housing end like the one included in the Jagwire Racer housing kit.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running front and rear Omegas without a problem. Using the hangerless backplate and Sigma X stem up front.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p5 and tririg brakes [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you guys running them on a p5-3 or p5-6?? Will they fit under the front brake cover/beard of the p5-6 fork??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is in no way meant to disparage TriRig's brakes, but - why??

The Magura brakes are fn awesome.
Best rim brakes I've ever used.

The F TriRig is likely a skitch more aero, but I doubt there's any measurable difference for the R.

So, you'd need 2 new brakes, levers, and cables, all to "gain" what, maybe a watt of aero savings?

That's like trading in a used Porsche to buy a new Prius.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p5 and tririg brakes [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Are you guys running them on a p5-3 or p5-6?? Will they fit under the front brake cover/beard of the p5-6 fork??

I'm running a P5-3, but I have a mate who fit them on his P5-6. He used sugru to fit the brake cover. I didn't bother with the cover for the rear, but you can run it in lieu of the Omega X cover.

Murphy'sLaw wrote:
This is in no way meant to disparage TriRig's brakes, but - why??

The Magura brakes are fn awesome.
Best rim brakes I've ever used.

The F TriRig is likely a skitch more aero, but I doubt there's any measurable difference for the R.

So, you'd need 2 new brakes, levers, and cables, all to "gain" what, maybe a watt of aero savings?

That's like trading in a used Porsche to buy a new Prius.

Because aero is everything (especially when you're scraping the very depths of the barrel like I am). Plus messing with hydraulic brakes is annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p5 and tririg brakes [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. My bike is a P5 Six. I do TTs not Tri's, and I travel a lot with the bike. If I have a problem with the brakes-- and I have had problems such as adjustment screw issues, bleed issues, etc-- finding a dealer who has experience and the parts in stock for a quick fix before a race the next day has proven to be impossible. I won my age group at masters natz and will now compete at Worlds this summer. Since I have to change the front fork to the P3 fork, I'm going to upgrade the aerobars to the UCI legal Enve-- otherwise I'd go for the TriRig bars. So, it makes since to look at the brakes now as well since just to install the new bars the hydraulic lines will have to be cut and new olives and new fluid just to reconnect them and perhaps new hydraulic lines if they are no longer long enough after cutting. Sound like fun? And with the Aduro bars, any time there is a position change that requires a change in spacers, you have to go through all of that. If I'm in France and have an issue with the hydraulic brakes, where do I go? So far as aero goes, in a TT a few seconds at Worlds can be significant.
All of this probably has nothing to do with most people. The brakes work well, and you may never have a problem if you are not always having to break the bike down to fly with it or tinkering with your position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonjour!

Good luck at Worlds!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surely most bike shops are use to hydrolic brakes as they are the norm in MTB'ing?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p5 and tririg brakes [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most bike shops I've been in are used to some type of hydraulic brakes. But, I've found only a couple who have experience with the magura road brake and also stock parts for it. Need an olive? Brake a lever? I seldom see P5 bikes on show rooms any more so I don't see things getting better. But, what do I know. I'm not a fan of disc brakes either on TT bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running the Omega X up front and a TRP T925.1R on the rear. The Omega X is working fine up front, but I didn't get it to work well on the rear. It gunked up extremely fast on wet roads and didn't release properly - maybe with extremely good cable routing you can get it to work well, but you probably still have to clean it quite often.

With the TRP you can't fit the rear brake cover, but according to Cervélo it doesn't make an aero difference (with the Magura brake). I believe there is a slightly different version of the TRP that allows the cover to be installed.

I have actually thought about ordering an eeBrake as that *might* fit on the rear and give you both a small, light, and well-working cable-actuated rear brake (if it fits).

As a side note, I actually had a commissaire at elite worlds object to the magnetic front cover of the Omega X on a bike pre-check. Got to race with it, though (as did at least a woman). I also believe the Professional Continental team Cofidis is using the Omega X at Tour de France, but Nick might be able to shed more light on that.
Last edited by: MTM: Jul 3, 17 13:52
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p5 and tririg brakes [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
As a side note, I actually had a commissaire at elite worlds object to the magnetic front cover of the Omega X on a bike pre-check. Got to race with it, though (as did at least a woman). I also believe the Professional Continental team Cofidis is using the Omega X at Tour de France, but Nick might be able to shed more light on that.
Front covers are explicitly allowed under the UCI rules, at least for TT. Not sure why some commissaries sometimes miss this.

If they ever object again, you can comment that the magnetic front plate still acts as a stiffener even though it doesn't bolt on.

Regarding Cofidis, they ran the Omega Standard, whose cover bolted on, so perhaps the new magnetic attachment is why the commissaires sometimes object. After two years of successful use, Cofidis' new component sponsor objected to off-brand brakes (I wasn't paying them, after all), so the team couldn't use the Omega any longer. But I only heard positive feedback from them during the two seasons they ran them.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p5 and tririg brakes [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know quite a few people using the Omega X at UCI races (Worlds, Nationals, WC, etc.), with no problem. Issue is that commissaires don't always know what's going on and don't have that great a grasp on what equipment is legal (know a few people who have done UCI track races w/Ventus II and never been called for it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
MTM wrote:

Front covers are explicitly allowed under the UCI rules, at least for TT. Not sure why some commissaries sometimes miss this.

If they ever object again, you can comment that the magnetic front plate still acts as a stiffener even though it doesn't bolt on.

Regarding Cofidis, they ran the Omega Standard, whose cover bolted on, so perhaps the new magnetic attachment is why the commissaires sometimes object. After two years of successful use, Cofidis' new component sponsor objected to off-brand brakes (I wasn't paying them, after all), so the team couldn't use the Omega any longer. But I only heard positive feedback from them during the two seasons they ran them.

Do you remember where it says covers are allowed for brakes? Else I might see what I can dig up myself in the rules. I know covers are explicitly allowed for integrated brakes and they are then considered part of the frame and have to fit in the dimensions allowed for frames. For 'stand-alone' brakes I can't remember what the rules explicitly says.

Good to know that the manufacturer states it acts as a stiffener - I'll remember that :)

Cofidis still seems to be using them on at least some bike(s): https://cyclingtips.com/...-stage-1-time-trial/

It's interesting that the rear brake pictured is the Omega X and it doesn't have the cover on. Commisaires not liking it? Is it possible to order an old version if you want to be sure to avoid an argument with a commisaire? :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Cofidis still seems to be using them on at least some bike(s): https://cyclingtips.com/...-stage-1-time-trial/

It's interesting that the rear brake pictured is the Omega X and it doesn't have the cover on. Commisaires not liking it? Is it possible to order an old version if you want to be sure to avoid an argument with a commisaire? :p
Oh that's great! Didn't know they still used them. Those must be individual purchases by the team, I haven't supplied them since 2014. That's an Omega Standard up front and an Omega X (without cover) in back. Sorry, the Omega Standard is totally discontinued. If it were me, I'd still be happier riding the Omega X sans cover, which has far superior function to the original brake.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:

I can't get over how short that frame looks with how far forward the pedestals are set up. It looks really off to me.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like there's at least one rider/team using Omega X brakes, covers still on. Steve Cummings' bike (Dimension Data) from the same link.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Jul 4, 17 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ditch the Maguras... they are great if you will never change your position and will never travel with your bike...

to remove the front brake from the fork and keep at least 3cm extra long cable for the rear in case you need to remove the handelbars is not the way fwd.. the benefits of being able to loosen/tighten at the handlebar is great but..

+1 for the TriRig.

Now P5 framesets are being shipped with TRP T925R and no front...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good find with the Omega X on the P5 - same bike I have it on.

I dug into UCI's clarification guide and found this:

"- Brakes considered to be “standard”: these are available on general sale and their
shape and system of attachment allow them to be used on all types of frames and
forks. These brakes, solely when a cover is fitted, must be contained within the
corresponding 8 cm box, and are taken into consideration in the measurement of 1:3
ratios and minimum/maximum dimensions."

I don't know if the brake fits within this 8 cm box, but I kind of doubt it (the 1:3 ratio should be gone now, but it seems they haven't updated the clarification guide). Of course, if it is stiffening the brake you could argue that it's not a cover (in which case it doesn't have to fit into the 8 cm box)? You would think that Team Dimension Data has done their home work checking the legality of their bikes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ordered the brakes, but was unsure of which levers to get. I ordered the Shimano Dura Ace carbon levers (without Di2). Will these work well? Also, has anyone caught a pic of Amber Neben's P5 TriRig brake set up from Nationals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the 3T Pro levers. I find those work well. I believe the Shimano ones will work fine too.

I could find these pictures of Amber Neben's setup:

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/..._062417-009-copy.jpg
http://cdn.velonews.com/...2317-003-800x532.jpg

Seems to be the Omega X to me, although hard to tell it apart from an older Omega?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tperry: I would be interested in buying your Magura's if you are going to do the swap!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
I've ordered the brakes, but was unsure of which levers to get. I ordered the Shimano Dura Ace carbon levers (without Di2). Will these work well? Also, has anyone caught a pic of Amber Neben's P5 TriRig brake set up from Nationals?
Yes, we recommend the Shimano BL-TT79 levers (the carbon Dura-Ace ones), or the less-expensive BL-TT79 (same mechanics, but made of alloy). In fact we stock the BL-TT79 on our complete builds of Omni for this reason. They are excellent in function (nice strong pull ratio), easy to install, and pretty light.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p5 and tririg brakes [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay. Sounds good. How do we do this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do the Shimano leavers fare in aero wise. ĂŚ have a P5/3 frame to build up, so I am trying to decide if I should stick with the Magura's and possibly the Aduro bar to start with or move my Tririg brake from my Scott which would allow me to run the DI2 brake/shifters or the little 3T levers ĂŚ currently run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next