Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo S3 vs Felt B16 for tris
Quote | Reply
I own a Cervelo S3 - I've currently got it set up for tris with the 2 position seat post and some T3+ aero bars.

This year I am doing several tris including 1 half and 1 full Ironman.

I've got a chance to buy a 2014 Felt B16 (including pedals, cages, bags, aero helmet and car carrier) for $1K.

Would the B16 be much/any better than the S3 for tris? Specifically the half/full Ironman distances? Assuming the Felt fits well of course.
Last edited by: hudsonb: Jan 24, 15 19:39
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo S3 vs Felt B16 for tris [hudsonb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is a really good deal on the felt + extras... it is hard to say what would be better without knowing your position on each. The Cervelo is an aero frame so you may not gain much from a felt B16 from in term of aero benefit but it may however allow you to get into a better position. Personally, I if I was in your position I would go with the felt for tris and convert the cervelo back to a road bike for general riding. I am sure others will chime in with more detailed data.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getting a B16 would also further require a proper Fitting.

Tri bike can save your legs better on half and full ironman during the run portion.

It depends upon how fast you will be riding, how technical the descents are,
and how steep the climbs are, and if there are any fast flat sections.

If the climbs are long but not too steep, and you are a strong rider then a TT
bike can still be advantageous. If however the climbs are steep and the
descents technical, it is unlikely a TT bike will be faster than a standard road
bike with aero bars and good aero wheels.

If you are not a strong rider then the aero advantage is lost because the speed
you climb at means that your position is not as efficient. Then add the fact
that they don't handle as well as a road bike and the descents become slower
and you double the time loss.

TT bikes are fast because the aero gains made through the components and the
position mean you slide through the air using less power for the same speed, or
faster speeds for the same power. The slower you go the less the effect, which is why to make a TT bike effective on hilly courses you need to be
fast. Pros will be able to make more use due to their greater fitness whereas
mere mortals are likely to be better off on the standard road bike.

Rain*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even with the forward seat post, the S3 seat angle is less than you'll get on the B16. So the Felt can potentially give you a more aggressive position if it fits. If the $1k is affordable to you then get the Felt - now you've got two really nice bikes! If you'd prefer to spend that money on something else, the S3 is a perfectly good option in my (non aeroweenie) opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are currently in the position you want to be in on your S3, and you feel like the bike handles fine, I might not bother changing bikes. If you use drop bars on the S3 then switching to the felt with an aero cockpit might save a minute or 2 per half ironman. But you could also swap an aero cockpit onto the s3 for big races.

If you have been wanting to get lower, or more forward on the S3 but can't because the geometry is limiting you, or you feel it handles badly in the aero position, then switching could be a very big upgrade.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 b16 felt and have to say that it's a fantastic bike. $1k for a bike without wheels is a good deal - add a set of Flos and you're all set.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice guys.

I loved the fit of the S3 when I had it set up as a road bike - I'm a little indifferent about the fit now that I have it set up as a tri bike (both were professional fittings). This could have a lot to do with the saddle I'm using working great for road and not so great for tri though.

Getting the B16 for tris so I can keep the S3 set up for road is appealing - I do switch between group/charity rides and tris a lot and reconfiguring the S3 isn't a quick process (which usually means I either just ride the S3 as is, or fall back to my Trek 2.3).
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo S3 vs Felt B16 for tris [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex - yes I think its a good deal too. I'd love to grab a set of Flos for it as well but may have trouble convincing the wife into letting me buy a wheel set after buying the S3 and a B16 within a year =P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why you buy them without asking the wife first!

hudsonb wrote:
Alex - yes I think its a good deal too. I'd love to grab a set of Flos for it as well but may have trouble convincing the wife into letting me buy a wheel set after buying the S3 and a B16 within a year =P

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply