Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P5X Riser Post Clamp Snapped
Quote | Reply
Tighten the bolt with a torque wrench according to spec (8nm).

All I did was
1) loosen the bolt slightly (2 turns?)
2) took riser post out
3) replace post and tighten up to 8nm

Then I saw this!

Now no part to replace and the clamp is stuck inside too.

Is this common? Something I did?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Riser Post Clamp Snapped [CaptainSnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not many people on here have a P5-X. Have you contacted Cervelo customer service?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be the one person on earth who can sell you a replacement part (second hand)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Cervelo or take the bike to an authorized dealer. For $12K they should deliver the replacement part in person for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Confidence Inspiring.....

CaptainSnail wrote:

All I did was
2) took riser post out

Then I saw this!

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Riser Post Clamp Snapped [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very disappointed to have found this problem. The seat post also has a similar mechanism.

The seat post and the riser post need to constantly be taken out and reinserted for traveling.

I am reluctant to ride the bike on open road until Cervelo clears up why the mechanism snapped.

Gosh...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would suck to happen when traveling to an "A" race. Hopefully the new parts are more durable and/or you just had an outlier part. Cervelo historically has great customer service, so give them a call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wedge broke because you did not fully insert it when you reinstalled it. I have the same bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:

All I did was
2) took riser post out

Then I saw this!

Damaging for a brand for you to post this. How do we know you did exactly what you said or even fully understand not seeing what your seeing. If you don't know if you did something wrong does not inspire me with your mechanic skills. How did you get the post put if you torqued it up and it snapped? Speak to Cervelo and if they don't help you then you may have enough reason for a thread but the damage in sales to someone tentatively looking to outlay the money for one of these could tip them the other way.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Riser Post Clamp Snapped [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I care to put this information out there. I'm an untrained mechanic with limited bike repair knowledge. I did read the entire manual before toying around. It's marketed as a bike that's easy to assemble and disassemble, especially when traveling to races.

The torque wrench came with their Biknd bike bag. Incident happened as described.

I much rather be riding it than to write this post.

Cervelo asked me to go through the warranty process. Explained the mechanism of the clamp but not how to avoid it. Will ask the certified mechanic tomorrow at the dealer.

Response was quick. Let's see if I get the part soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Riser Post Clamp Snapped [801pe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo confirmed.

The wedge broke because I did not insert it fully into the fork.

Edit: they are going to warranty the part
Last edited by: CaptainSnail: Jun 27, 17 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi CaptainSnail,

Please work with your retailer so we can send you a new part ASAP through our warranty program, and get you back on your P5X as quickly as possible. Please ensure the clamp is completely bottomed out before tightening to prevent the riser post from slipping or damaging the clamp in the future.

Thanks,

Jakub

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Riser Post Clamp Snapped [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an update for everyone

I got the part from the retailer today.

All in all, Cervelo really made an effort to get the part to me ASAP. Took roughly 2 weeks end to end to get the part. The retailer and distributor probably contributed to 2-3 days delay.

I say its decent speed. The entire experience would be much better if I could just deal direct with Cervelo vs going through distributors / retail shops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:
I say its decent speed. The entire experience would be much better if I could just deal direct with Cervelo vs going through distributors / retail shops.

curious to know how you got the bike otherwise?

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's obviously unsafe. Find a new bike sponsor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:
The entire experience would be much better if I could just deal direct with Cervelo vs going through distributors / retail shops.

I highly doubt this is true. Cervelo wouldn't have the resources to deal with worldwide warranty claims. It would be far too expensive for them to have any significant number of people devoted to warranty issues, let alone the huge volume of calls they would get every day for other issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp works the same way. All warranty and repairs go through your local Zipp dealer.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Riser Post Clamp Snapped [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most brands with distributors require their customer going through their local distributor. It can be a real pain and sometimes the distributors will slap on a hefty service charge if you bought your bike from another country.

I find dealing with distributors very annoying as their employees have little incentive to care whether you are happy or not.

Unless its direct purchase from the manufacture (ie Canyon).
Quote Reply