Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by HankRearden
Last edited by: HankRearden: May 5, 15 6:09
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [HankRearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading this, I think I might just keep my old P2 until the next Cervelo bike. Your pictures are not showing

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
After reading this, I think I might just keep my old P2 until the next Cervelo bike. Your pictures are not showing

Same here with my old P3. Pictures showed on my end.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard other mechanics say how much they don't like working on P5s.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [HankRearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting failure. I feel better about my one piece stem now.
Last edited by: Clempson: May 4, 15 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the P5 was on my short list IF i switch bikes. I will be sticking to my current ride. Horrible luck, hope you heal quickly and the damage isn't too bad. Regarding the bike, I would be speaking directly to Cervelo regarding your concerns. Perhaps a conference call with your LBS and Cervelo (someone higher up). For that kind of money, I would definitely expect more.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the Dimond or Felt IA as well! Really nice bikes!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there might be a bit of both in this situation. you might perhaps not be the good candidate for that kind of bike. It would need someone that as very competent mechanically and extremely carefull with equippement and dosnt need a 30 etc etc etc.

Also, yes, the p5-6 is a bit of a nightmare mechanically. i requires some very good skill to work on.... it s not the most simple bike to wrench. I dont think it was a home run from cervelo to build this bike.

On the other hand, the New Cervelo P3 is the best bike they have. simple mechaniclly,. as fast as the P5-6 and much cheaper. It simply make no sence to get a p5 anymore. the p3 is the best traveling bike...any Dumb mechanic with convential tool will be able to fix it while traveling etc.

When i had cervelo, i sold the p5 to get the new p3.... i needed a easier bike to maintain/ride.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I hope you are ok from the fall. I my p5-6 failed like that, I would be considering moving on too, so what follows does not change that.

HankRearden wrote:
This past fall I purchased my dream bike, a used Cervelo P5-Six. Since then it has been nothing but a nightmare. At my first race (Rev3 SC), an errant turn of the stem while setting it in my car trunk severed both the Magura hydraulic brake cable (spilling fluid everywhere) and the Di2 electric cable because of their infamous plastic cable keeper between frame and stem. Atlanta's All3Sports acknowledged (off the record) that they were QUITE familiar with the design flaw, couldn't explain the idiocy, had fixed dozens of damaged P5s, but- like my LBS- couldn't get the replacement cabling and fluid installation kits for a month. And of course, Magura only sells the cabling through approved shops.

I can turn my headset the full range without severing any cables; This has to be some kind of improper installation issue. I would really appreciate more information to confirm this. It is pretty nuts that turning the stem within its normal movement could sever brake cables if everything was installed properly.

My LBS and local Shimano rep both confirmed in person that Shimano would no longer support or even sell the replacement parts for their first generation Di2, having abandoned it after only 2 years for the newer $1800 system (with cables individually wrapped instead of together). Baffling... So we chose to splice the Di2 cables and pray. We're currently trying to track down as many remaining Di2 old cables as possible.

I can understand your frustration, but does this make first generation Di2 the worst drivetrain in the world, not the p5 frame?

At Ironman Cozumel 2014, after replacing and resetting a flat tire on the first lap, I was unable to generate enough space to rotate my Flo disc between the very unforgiving (and virtually inaccessible mid-race..) rear Magura brake clamps, even with the brake crews opened up all the way. I ended up fully disengaging the whole brake to finish the race, and riding another 100 miles with just a front brake. And more prayers. Three reputable bikes shops have been unable to solve that problem properly so the last sanded down the brake pads and removed the washers so I could keep my Flo wheels. Needless to say, all of these solutions have carried ungodly expense in time, labor and stress. Not to mention both humor and bewilderment at bike shops and race tech tents nationwide.

All bikes have tolerances; so more flexible than others. The tight fit is based on industry standard wheels; I have used Zipp 404, 808s, and tried a Zipp and Lightweight Disc...no issues at all with the fit. I'm not saying it is Flo's fault or Cervelo's fault; we need to know what fits and what doesn't fit.

A desire to remove some of the stem discs to achieve a more aggressive fit was met with derision by my LBS because it would require disassembly of the Di2 cabling, and more significantly, the Magura brake cabling. Definitely not your average weekly bike maintenance. My LBS mechanic flat out declined to do the job, instead advising me to sell the whole bike.

LBS mechanic refusing a labor intensive and expensive job? Not a very sensible business model if you are in it to make money. That said, when my frame was damaged and got a replacement frame, the old frame was disassembled and everything moved over to the new one in an afternoon. Not really sure why this is so complicated. (AND I'M NOT SAYING IT IS NOT COMPLICATED!)

The bike spent several hours with Ironman St. Coix techs this past weekend trying to adjust the rear derailleur to accommodate a 30 cog for "the Beast" (it had shifted slightly in airport handling). The six techs couldn't resolve the issue without losing the 11 cog, small sacrifice on that course and just par for the course with this bike. I was also criticized by a knowledgeable P5 owner helping out about why hadn't I upgraded the Di2 firmware? I had to admit that I guess I'm an idiot.

For the final act, at the race yesterday in St. Croix, I hit a small but sharp road dip at full speed at IM St. Croix (in aero position). The impact snapped the forward extension mount clean off of the base bar (post-recall equipment), sending me hurdling over the bike and to a quick end to my very expensive "dream" Ironman trip. The screws came right out with their housing (see below) and I landed on my back with the bars still in my hands. Keep in mind I'm on only 177 lbs with only my elbows on the pads). I'm pretty damaged from the fall, and caught an early flight home yesterday for emergency medical care. I'm left pondering:

At least this is not JRA when bam, it just snapped for no reason. But road hazards are hazards for a reason. I am very very interested to know what 3T and Cervelo say about this failure.

• Is the P5 the biggest fraud hoisted on the tri world in history (excluding the P4)? No
  • Is this simply bad luck, a lemon or the risk assumed when traveling with a bike? All 3?
  • Is the bike simply too high maintenance for a non-professional mechanic with an electrical engineering degree who's read all of Zinn's books as well as the P5 manuals and white papers? Yes, as are most super bikes.
  • Have I been unrealistic in my expectations for a functioning super bike? Part of the issue is the unknown providence of the bike. One of the few useful ideas I took away from economics is the concept of the "Lemon Market" in used goods. The probability that a seller is selling a good because of problems associated with it are high. If one had a properly functioning P5 and continued in tri, it is unlikely they would sell it.(I'm sure some would, but not that many.)

Personally, I would rest, heal up, and wait on the bike. If I could never trust the bike again, no amount of objective reasoning would change my mind. Unload it with full disclosure and low price. (I have a Scott Foil team issue frame repaired by the factory after I cracked the seat tube above the BB in a car crash. After the repair, it would creak under load; Scott reexamined the repair in their (well, Giant's) manufacturing facility here in Taiwan--the frame met all the stress tests a new frame is required to meet, meaning it was safe. Still, we couldn't track down why it creaks, and so i sits in my bike room. Karma, like you said, can be rough, so I won't pass this on to anyone else even though it looks 100% new and the manufacturer itself says it is perfectly safe.)

I really hope you are ok; the bike is not that important given what could have happened to you. Lots of other bikes out there, but trashing a bike because of these issues is not altogether fair.
Moreover, should I:

• Unload this bike on to the next schlep, possibly with better luck and/or mech skills? I think most people would not buy a tri bike with factory included bars without the bars--seems a very obvious sign the bike has been through some trauma.
  • Consider dumping more $- roughly the cost of a new entry level TT bike- into this "project" to repair the destroyed Di2 and 3T Aduro aero handlebars? Have you contacted 3T/Cervelo about this failure? They do care very much about product safety.
  • Melt this bike down so it can't harm anyone else?

I'm admittedly in a dark, emotional place as I leave my vacation early to meet with my doctor to access damages. I feel like I'm suffering chronic fatigue dealing with this. My riding partners are somewhere between bemused and bewildered by this bizarre engineering creation. So I would appreciate any constructive, objective, polite feedback on what next. I fully recognize this is a first world problem, a combination of many vendors on this bike- Magura, Shimano, et al.- but wonder how much accountability I need to accept before moving on. (Give it to me straight, but remember that ST trolling schadenfreude and bad karma are buddies.)

http://www.bartstevens.com/graphics/P5-1.jpg
http://www.bartstevens.com/graphics/P5-2.jpg
http://www.bartstevens.com/graphics/P5-3.jpg

This past fall I purchased my dream bike, a used Cervelo P5-Six. Since then it has been nothing but a nightmare. At my first race (Rev3 SC), an errant turn of the stem while setting it in my car trunk severed both the Magura hydraulic brake cable (spilling fluid everywhere) and the Di2 electric cable because of their infamous plastic cable keeper between frame and stem. Atlanta's All3Sports acknowledged (off the record) that they were QUITE familiar with the design flaw, couldn't explain the idiocy, had fixed dozens of damaged P5s, but- like my LBS- couldn't get the replacement cabling and fluid installation kits for a month. And of course, Magura only sells the cabling through approved shops.

My LBS and local Shimano rep both confirmed in person that Shimano would no longer support or even sell the replacement parts for their first generation Di2, having abandoned it after only 2 years for the newer $1800 system (with cables individually wrapped instead of together). Baffling... So we chose to splice the Di2 cables and pray. We're currently trying to track down as many remaining Di2 old cables as possible.

At Ironman Cozumel 2014, after replacing and resetting a flat tire on the first lap, I was unable to generate enough space to rotate my Flo disc between the very unforgiving (and virtually inaccessible mid-race..) rear Magura brake clamps, even with the brake crews opened up all the way. I ended up fully disengaging the whole brake to finish the race, and riding another 100 miles with just a front brake. And more prayers. Three reputable bikes shops have been unable to solve that problem properly so the last sanded down the brake pads and removed the washers so I could keep my Flo wheels. Needless to say, all of these solutions have carried ungodly expense in time, labor and stress. Not to mention both humor and bewilderment at bike shops and race tech tents nationwide.

A desire to remove some of the stem discs to achieve a more aggressive fit was met with derision by my LBS because it would require disassembly of the Di2 cabling, and more significantly, the Magura brake cabling. Definitely not your average weekly bike maintenance. My LBS mechanic flat out declined to do the job, instead advising me to sell the whole bike.

The bike spent several hours with Ironman St. Coix techs this past weekend trying to adjust the rear derailleur to accommodate a 30 cog for "the Beast" (it had shifted slightly in airport handling). The six techs couldn't resolve the issue without losing the 11 cog, small sacrifice on that course and just par for the course with this bike. I was also criticized by a knowledgeable P5 owner helping out about why hadn't I upgraded the Di2 firmware? I had to admit that I guess I'm an idiot.

• Is the P5 the biggest fraud hoisted on the tri world in history (excluding the P4)?
  • Is this simply bad luck, a lemon or the risk assumed when traveling with a bike?
  • Is the bike simply too high maintenance for a non-professional mechanic with an electrical engineering degree who's read all of Zinn's books as well as the P5 manuals and white papers?
  • Have I been unrealistic in my expectations for a functioning super bike?

Moreover, should I:

• Unload this bike on to the next schlep, possibly with better luck and/or mech skills?
  • Consider dumping more $- roughly the cost of a new entry level TT bike- into this "project" to repair the destroyed Di2 and 3T Aduro aero handlebars?
  • Melt this bike down so it can't harm anyone else?

I'm admittedly in a dark, emotional place as I leave my vacation early to meet with my doctor to access damages. I feel like I'm suffering chronic fatigue dealing with this. My riding partners are somewhere between bemused and bewildered by this bizarre engineering creation. So I would appreciate any constructive, objective, polite feedback on what next. I fully recognize this is a first world problem, a combination of many vendors on this bike- Magura, Shimano, et al.- but wonder how much accountability I need to accept before moving on. (Give it to me straight, but remember that ST trolling schadenfreude and bad karma are buddies.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you're supposed to use the cable keeper with the Aduro stem. I travel a lot and actually got rid of the Aduro and use a normal 3T Aura stem and mechanical shifting as it's just simpler to work on when out in the field. As for the Magura brakes, if the mechanic has a lot of experience with mountain systems, the RT's should not be too hard to understand. I can do a brake bleed for both brakes under 5 minutes and don't understand why shops charge so much more for bleeding the RT over the MT Maguras. If your rims are too wide, just re-bleed the RT with the adjustment screw in the center of the lever turned in as opposed to out.

I guess you just has some bad luck with an improperly set up P5. It is a "superbike", which does entail more experienced technician to work on.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris10 wrote:
I don't think you're supposed to use the cable keeper with the Aduro stem.

This is absolutely correct. The cable keeper is only for use with conventional stems (i.e., standard steerer clamp and cables not inside stem).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Is the P5 the biggest fraud hoisted on the tri world in history (excluding the P4)?

Sorry to hear about your troubles and crash. Just curious though why your comment regarding the P4. I bought mine (2011) new a little over three years ago and love it. Local LBS has no issues tuning/working on it. I've also taken a couple of bad spills and the bike has been virtually unscathed (unlike me). It's also travels well and easy to assemble and dis-assemble. I was aware the first edition (2009?) of the P4 had some minor issues but my 2011 model has basically been trouble free and obviously a fast bike with my Zipp disc and 404. Just curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to attempt to be a voice of reason here and talk through some of this.

First: the P5 is not a "bizzare engineering creation." It is a bike that is highly integrated and that comes at some compromises as you have seen with the bb mounted brake. It is not easy to access in a pinch.

As for shearing the di2 and magura wires: whoever installed the plastic cable keeper on the bike did so out of misinformation. The cable keeper should not be used with the aduro bar. That is not Cevelo's fault that it was installed.

I have had no problem fitting flo wheels and some slightly wider in the P5. Others have fit them just fine. It is known that on many wide wheels pad holder washers may need to be removed to provide clearance. That is not an issue isolated to the magura brake or the P5.

The spacer design for the aduro bars is flawed. There should have been a slot cut in the spacer from the get go by Cervelo/3t. Many (myself included) have made these slots ourselves. As for the LBS refusing to work on your bike. That is poor customer service on their part. Mechanics/home wrenchers that are scared of magura bleeding is baggling to me. Sure, it takes some learning and a little more care than just slapping in a calbe, but it isn't that hard. I do it at home with a $25 kit I got online. Takes me 15 mins tops after initially learning it. There is a great article here on ST by Greg K that really helps with some of the nuance.

I don't believe shimano ever officially endorsed a 30T cassette for the 7970 rear derailleur. It has been done I beleive. Again, this isn't shimano or cervelo's fault. You are trying to make something work that isn't in the stated spec envelope.

As for the bar failure. That is something you should address though Cervelo/3t. It sucks that happened and I hope you heal quickly and the damage isn't too severe.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but a lot of the issues are not a bike issue. I'm sorry about your crash as that sucks for everyone. Get better. I suggest you take down this post if you want to potentially have any potential for recourse for the failure. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2!!

Just got the new P3 with Ultegra Di2....huge upgrade over the P5 in looks, comfort, ride quality...feels much more responsive and LOVE the shifting. Didn't have any major issues with P5 but glad I don't have to mess with it any more

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And another thing, what in the world is all the hoopla about people wanting hydraulic brakes?? I don't get it. I'm generally not braking much in tri anyways. It's difficult to work on, hard as hell to open up calipers with wider race wheels, a major bitch to change out pads, plus it doesn't allow Di2 shifting from the brake levers...where is the advantage??

Even on the new P3, unless you go Di2, it comes with hydraulic brakes...

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if trolling or not.

You rode a disc at Cozumel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Hank,

I am very sorry to read this. Please get in touch with me directly so we can look into what happened with your bar immediately. Please email me directly (dbyer at cervelo.com).

As for your other main issue, it is a good idea to address it here for the benefit of any other P5 owners. As some of the other posters pointed out, the cable cover should not be used with the Aduro bar. We include these pieces with the bike should a rider choose to go with a UCI legal set up.

I look forward to hearing from you.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I'd rather have the Di2 shifting on the brake levers than hydraulic brakes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually really like the Magura's over all the other brakes I've used. Very powerful, modulates well, no cable drag when full of grit and almost never chatters. I ride outside in all conditions, so the Maguras are really predictable in the rain with good pads. As for removing the wheel, there's actually a little tab on the brake lever that you push down that lets the lever fully open and lets the caliper open very wide, more so than the release lever on a Shimano caliper.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aren't the bolts for the aduro cover front/back different lengths? I don't recall off hand. if so, I hope they were installed in the correct end. but if a shop sets up a bike with the toptube cable guides on the aduro, I wouldn't trust them on any other part of it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Agreed. I'd rather have the Di2 shifting on the brake levers than hydraulic brakes

Just don't use the PD ABS all carbon brake levers with the Omega! Never...NEVER! See, I listen.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah always use Dura Ace levers! Omegas + Dura Ace = Awesome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to hear that. Man if it were me I'd be beyond pissed. :/

Sell the Beast and buy something else.

I have a superbike too. Shiv. Mech shifting and brakes, so not nearly as much of a PITA as your bike. Rear brakes can be a pain in the ass with carbon wheels though.

Working on my road bike is easy and fun when compared to working on the tri bike. I love working on the road bike. Just ran new shifter cables and it literally took just 10 minutes for both, and that was doing everything slowly and deliberately. I dread working on the tri bike. :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto, except I'm on a P2SL and plan to hang on to it. Sorry about your injuries and hope that you recover quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-Six... Is this the worst bike ever made? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the original 2009 P4 and am still really happy with it. Changing cables does require a patient attitude (...and a beer). Working on the rear brake isn't too fun either, but that is rarely needed. Overall, I still love it.

I agree with the sentiments though; These bikes are not for the mechanically challenged rider. Also, that broken aerobar is also scary as hell! I feel for the guy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next