Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P3 or QR PRFive
Quote | Reply
Help my wife decide on her next bike. We have the opportunity to get a Quintana Roo PRFive for a great price, but our LBS also has a Cervelo P3 they're looking to move. Both bikes are similarly equipped (Di2) and we have a Tririg Alpha X cockpit that we would put on whichever we decide. Their fits are relatively similar, and the LBS said she falls into the middle of stack / reach on either.

All things considered equal - which bike to you like better and why? Haven't gotten to a final number on the P3, but it would likely be ~800-1K more than the PRFive. Worth the 'upgrade'?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or QR PRFive [schmeckp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, on one hand, the P2/P3 is the benchmark or baseline that every other bike maker compares against to claim they are faster. On the other hand, the P2/P3 is the benchmark bike in that performance tier. In this case, according to QR's numbers, the P3 may be faster than the PRFive. http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._s_new_PR3_5942.html

On the other hand, if you have an Alpha X, that pretty much throws the above comparison out the window. Maybe the PRFive frame is faster than the P3, and the difference was in the cockpit. You cannot know.

If it were my money, I would probably buy the PRFive between those two. My reasoning is that they are close at low yaw, and the PRFive is better at higher yaw. The Alpha X would likely make them even closer. So, you probably would not gain much incremental speed from the extra $1K in spend.

However, if you totally love the looks and the aura of the P3, and you do not have a better use for the cash (like wheels, helmet, tri suit, etc.), then get the P3!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you believe Quintana Roo's aero data, both bikes really close in performance. Separated by seconds. The really nice thing about the PRsix is that you have the draft box. The P3 doesn't have this so you then have to try and find the best way to carry your flat kit without an aero penalty. Also, what wheels come with each?

I like Cervelo's (I have an older P2 and a newer R3) and my only experience with the PR series is from what I've read online, but I personally wouldn't pay 1k more for a P3 versus a PRfive. There are a lot of other nice things you could buy with that

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Sep 14, 17 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or QR PRFive [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input from both of you. I was leaning towards the PRFive myself, but the LBS was of course really pushing the P3 since they have a few in stock and ready to move. The price difference is significant, so think the PRFive will be what she's riding. Now just to pick the color - an even harder choice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently on a P3 myself with a zipp vuka cockpit. If I had it to do over again I think I would go with the quintanaroo.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or QR PRFive [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I'm currently on a P3 myself with a zipp vuka cockpit. If I had it to do over again I think I would go with the quintanaroo.

And what would be the reason for that choice? (I'm also on a P3, and I guess the draft box would be a pretty good reason for me, but I'm just curious about your reason)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not exactly looking at the same comparison--but P2 with Di2 at a great price or PR3 or PR5 for probably a bit more than the P2. The PR's with the draftbox is definitely appealing to me as I've always struggled finding a good way to carry flat kit for longer races. They seem to all be in the same ballpark--P2/3 vs PR3/5... I think that means you won't go wrong with either choice!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or QR PRFive [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skippy74 wrote:
... I think that means you won't go wrong with either choice!

I agree, just wondered if there was something I was missing that made the P3 worth a good chunk more than the prfive. PRFive has been ordered!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the PR5 just for the draft box. Aero delta is unlikely to be very large.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
schmeckp wrote:
Skippy74 wrote:
... I think that means you won't go wrong with either choice!

I agree, just wondered if there was something I was missing that made the P3 worth a good chunk more than the prfive. PRFive has been ordered!

So what color?!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or QR PRFive [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the box. And cervelos stupid bottom bracket.
Quote Reply