Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P3C brake question
Quote | Reply
I need to replace the rear brake cable on a roughly 2009 Cervelo P3C. Is there a tube inside the top tube for it to run through or am I looking at a nightmare fishing the cable out? Best to tape the new to the old and pull? Holes on both ends look pretty tight for that.

Suggestions immensely appreciated.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3C brake question [MarvinTPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
S2 in the vid, but I think the routing it's the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIeRyBSDdDw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a P3 but have an S2 that was pretty easy to do the rear brake cable replacement... the rear tab for the brake cable stop popped off and then had enough space to grab the cable pretty easily. May not be the same on the P3, though.

This (or similar) makes re-cabling very easy with internal routing especially for the shift cables:
http://www.parktool.com/product/internal-cable-routing-kit-ir-1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not really that much of a nightmare. If the cable is clean and not frayed, it will only take a few tries for it to go through the hole. Now the derailleur cables on that frame are a different matter. Those do crazy things when being fed down.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3C brake question [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, didn't want to get into that and find I was missing something.
Yer the best!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3C brake question [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Price of cake for a decent mechanic.

My rear derailleur cable was at the end of its life this year and I'd put off replacing it too long. Sure enough, while warming up for a big local TT it simply could not be adjusted anymore, either wouldn't go into the smallest cog, or would overshoot past the cassette. Took it to the on site mechanic for a quick look and his conclusion was that the only solution was a new cable.

I had exactly 15 minutes before cut off time for me to be in the chute and was beyond sceptical. But, his confidence convinced me to let him have a crack at it, and in the span of less than 10 minutes it was re-cabled, adjusted and the bar tape back on. Amazing to watch. Nerve wracking as hell mind you once he cut the old one out.

Full marks to Velofix. For anyone in Southern Ontario these guys are great. Next time I see them at an event I'll be making a pit stop at the beer store to drop something off for them.

nightfend wrote:
It's not really that much of a nightmare. If the cable is clean and not frayed, it will only take a few tries for it to go through the hole. Now the derailleur cables on that frame are a different matter. Those do crazy things when being fed down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bend a paper clip to have a little hook. Fish the brake cable and reach in there with that hook and pull it out the hole. Super easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarvinTPA wrote:
I need to replace the rear brake cable on a roughly 2009 Cervelo P3C. Is there a tube inside the top tube for it to run through or am I looking at a nightmare fishing the cable out? Best to tape the new to the old and pull? Holes on both ends look pretty tight for that.

Suggestions immensely appreciated.
Thanks

I use a magnet with a cloth to guide it to thru the top tube on my P3C. Real easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can duct tape the new cable to the end of the existing one and pull the old cable out - the new cable should come right out at the other end.

The brake cable exits at the bottom of the top tube and is easy to pull out with a little bit of patience anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can be pretty hard to get the cable right but i bought an endoscope camera with hook on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/...VHkt2t2lK-vZaxvNr5Ow

It works great and you can inspect your frame and just use the endoscope with the hook and theres no problem!
Quote Reply