Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down
Quote | Reply
I have just purchased 2 Cervelo P2's 2009 size 61. Am working on getting them setup for me. Having 2 allows me to compare issues, and I have found one.

I went to try and put the seatpost down low enough so I can use my 200mm cranks. It gets stuck. I assume it was hitting the bottom so I was researching how to cut the
post, etc. But decided to mess around with the other seatpost. So if I take one seatpost on one bike, it goes all the way down without any issues. But if I stick the other
seatpost in the same bike it binds going down.

So, does this mean I have one good seatpost in spec and another that is out of spec?

Need to play a little more but ran out of time last night when I found the above.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get the right model seatpost with your bike? I'd run a QC check on the post for symmetrical shapeness and see if any of the chords are off-length. That would potentially contribute to the flex issue fitment context that you are finding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you measured both seat posts to see if one has already been cut and is shorter?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you hit the nail on the head there

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shredz2000 wrote:
Have you measured both seat posts to see if one has already been cut and is shorter?

Both exactly the same length, both uncut.

Both are original with purchase of bike from 1 one I bought from.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Did you get the right model seatpost with your bike? I'd run a QC check on the post for symmetrical shapeness and see if any of the chords are off-length. That would potentially contribute to the flex issue fitment context that you are finding.

I have not had enough time to check all, but what is chords off length?

THanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through a similar issue with my P4. I cut the seat post down just enough using a grit saw (like a fine-toothed hack saw) and a mitre box to give a nice straight cut.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
I went through a similar issue with my P4. I cut the seat post down just enough using a grit saw (like a fine-toothed hack saw) and a mitre box to give a nice straight cut.

When I put the one seatpost in the bike, it goes totally down, so this proves there is no obstruction. But when I put the other in the same bike, it jams about half way down.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
beston wrote:

When I put the one seatpost in the bike, it goes totally down, so this proves there is no obstruction. But when I put the other in the same bike, it jams about half way down.

Use the post that goes down as far as needed for your seat height. Why make things complicated? If they are identical bikes, just swap the posts and start riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the bike knows that you are intending to install 200mm crankarms, and doesn't want to be seen around town with "rotating kickstands"
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
the bike knows that you are intending to install 200mm crankarms, and doesn't want to be seen around town with "rotating kickstands"

hahahah

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why did you buy two of the same exact bike? (serious Q)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
odin99 wrote:
why did you buy two of the same exact bike? (serious Q)

Lets see. Since I have been told 61's are hard to find, I bought one. Then 3 weeks later when another of the same year popped up I said what the heck.

Current idea is to have one built for my races and only used for races. The other ideally I would like to put powercranks on so I can go out and do 4 hour, 61 mile, 5000
feet of climbing with them once a week. I did this once years ago but it has been a long time so I may need to work up to it.

It also means if the race bike brakes, I can easily just change over wheels and crank arms.

Plus since I spent SO much less than a new bike, only live once.

And if this does not work out, I just sell them both. I got at a price that I would not lose much if any money.

Now, since I have 3 velotrons, I guess I need to find one more P2 or P3 pre 2014 61 bike. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

THanks

Chords off length is phrasing to describe the phenomena known more colloquially as "shit don't fit."
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

THanks

Chords off length is phrasing to describe the phenomena known more colloquially as "shit don't fit."

I just took the seat post off the first bike I got, and it fits in both frames all the way down no issues.

But the seat post in the second jams in both frames about half way down. But what is interesting is looking
at the second frame, there must have been a problem identified either at Cervelo or the LBS the guy bought it from
since one side of the seat post insert has been filed some. I assume that this seat post is warp out some about half
way up. For a person with short cranks I guess not an issue. But anyone for whatever reason wants to drop the post lower, well.

Guess this is disappointing seeing that an issues was seen during the process of making/selling the bike but was just passed
onto a customer who did not know. The guy I bought it from was 6'5" like me and had 175 cranks on, so the seat was way up there
and never would have seen the issue. Not sure what I am going to do now. Any ideas?

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:

8/10

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
BrianB wrote:

8/10

I am glad I did not like 220mm cranks like a guy I know of who is 6'6". He had to get built a custom frame since those clearly would hit the ground.
I already hit my shoes on the RD if I am not careful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
scofflaw wrote:
BrianB wrote:

8/10

I am glad I did not like 220mm cranks like a guy I know of who is 6'6". He had to get built a custom frame since those clearly would hit the ground.
I already hit my shoes on the RD if I am not careful.

Stop it! Stop it right now!

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

THanks

I just took the seat post off the first bike I got, and it fits in both frames all the way down no issues.

But the seat post in the second jams in both frames about half way down. But what is interesting is looking
at the second frame, there must have been a problem identified either at Cervelo or the LBS the guy bought it from
since one side of the seat post insert has been filed some. I assume that this seat post is warp out some about half
way up. For a person with short cranks I guess not an issue. But anyone for whatever reason wants to drop the post lower, well.

Guess this is disappointing seeing that an issues was seen during the process of making/selling the bike but was just passed
onto a customer who did not know. The guy I bought it from was 6'5" like me and had 175 cranks on, so the seat was way up there
and never would have seen the issue. Not sure what I am going to do now. Any ideas?

I thought you wanted long and low, why do you need to slam the seatpost? You know the difference between 175 and 200 is only 2.5cm. Cut the post by an inch and you're done. What the problem be???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the some that fits must be ever so slightly smaller
I bet there isn't much in it

-

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 seatpost does not go all the way down [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:
the some that fits must be ever so slightly smaller
I bet there isn't much in it

I measured stuff and they sure are darn close. All I can figure is the one seatpost about half way has a little bulge.

I was able to file a small bur on the one frame and the seatpost goes down now, even though not as smoothly as I like.
Getting it back up a little was a little tricky.

At least now I have them both at the 780mm height I want for my 200mm cranks. 130 stems on both.
Just need to have a bike shop put new square taper BB's on hopefully Sat after my next race. Not sure what size
we put on from my other bike so will pay them to do the changes. :(

Has been fun working on the bikes. I love the P2 is just standard stuff and nothing fancy on the front end, etc.
Being able to just change all my 10 speed wheel sets back on forth is great. And not worrying about for now
any Di2 stuff. Just nice and simple and all parts between all my bikes, like RD's, FD's, brakes, etc can all
be swapped around.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good news

I really must stop replying using my iPhone
bloody auto(in)correct!

-

Quote Reply