Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [Seyseys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seyseys wrote:
I am currently in the process of designing a custom fitted storage box for the new P2 and P3 frames. I used all 3 of the screws to help secure it, and I think the bottom screw is invaluable. Once everything is done up tight it doesn't move. That's with the weight of a few C02 cylinders, 2 tubes, minitool and some other puncture related equipment inside too.
Attached are some pics of my work in process, I can only realistically make this using 3D printing, as the internal design is quite unique. I've used 3D printing a lot so I'm confident it'll work.
Currently it's just to put on my own bike, but if others need it I may make a few.
Phillip

Really cool, thanks for sharing Phillip. Frame size I would guess a 54?

May I ask why you chose exactly that size, is that the size that comes out when you want to use all 3 screws? I guess a normal flat kit for most people on raceday will consist of 1 CO2 Cylinder, one tube and potentially a minitool, but yours seems to have plenty of extra space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it'll fit a 54, I will absolutely take one.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [duckies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im also intrested, need one for a 56cm P3.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to have one of these for an older P2C but if I have a newer frame, I would get one of these in a second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could a bottle be mounted on top of it? If so I'm in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested. 56 P5.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [yrebetta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A general question about 3d-printing, if one have some blueprints could You leave them to any 3d-printing company and have a box made with good result? If so, maybe it would be possible to just sell blueprints? The problem might of course be if anyone buys one blueprint and then produces many boxes and sell them without approval from the original creator.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your interest everyone, didn't realise so many of you were interested in something like this.
I'll try answer some questions regarding it.

My bike is a 58, I believe you need a separate design to suit each size correctly. The 52 would be slightly smaller than the 58 for example.
It should fit both the new P2 and P3 frames, as they're the same. The P5 would need a different version as it has that taller BB.

LuckyLo, I agree this is why larger companies have not bothered. The cost to 3D print an individual container is far higher than the cost to mould one, but the cost of making several different moulds to suit each size is prohibitive, meaning that 3D printing is the only viable option.
On that note, to anyone potentially interested - the containers will likely be around US$300 each due to print costs.

culpritbicycles, are you wanting to 3D print them? For mine I'll likely use Shapeways which is based in New York. However depends what you need from your part, to get the geometry of mine I use Nylon SLS, but to make it waterproof etc it needs to be sealed afterwards as a post process.

Ben6, no problem mate, funny how so many people have looked at that bottom screw and thought "what if".
The large size is because I wanted to have everything in one place - tools, air, tubes, tyre levers etc. Also somewhere to stuff a light jacket on training rides. I usually race on tubular tyres which take up a bit more space than inner tubes too. But in saying that there's no reason there couldn't be a smaller version for people who don't want to carry so much.

Pad, it depends on which company, some are better than others. It's usually better to find one you're happy with and stick to that, as long as the results are consistent. Yes, correct, in this digital age the design is where the real value for the creator is.

Sorry for the long post, I'm going to look into different sizes and a P5 version whilst I'm waiting for my latest test piece to be delivered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$300 each, ha good luck getting anyone to buy one at that price point.

As others have pointed out the biggest factor into making these is making moulds for each frame size.

The real question is, what are people willing to pay for this type of storage solution? $75, $100, $125????? Surely not $300......

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Drag2Zero one for the Scott Plasma 5 seels at GBP 180, so roughly 235 USD, while being much smaller, and they are said to be "flying off the shelf". So 300 USD sounds about right for this bigger storage solution. Maybe somebody who bought a P2 105 on sale for USD 2000 will not end up sticking a USD 300 storage box on that bike, but any high end P3 or P5 is expensive enough to make the money for a smart storage solution appear small. Especially in times when more than 10% of the Kona finishers are buying Ceramic Speed parts....

If its done right, with that I mean at least earo-neutral, better even improving aerodynamics, I am sure there will be a customer base.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you went out and field tested it to see if it's faster, slower, or neutral?

Little things can make big differences down there, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
$300 each, ha good luck getting anyone to buy one at that price point.

As others have pointed out the biggest factor into making these is making moulds for each frame size.

The real question is, what are people willing to pay for this type of storage solution? $75, $100, $125????? Surely not $300......

I doubt that is him making much if any profit. 3D printing large (this is fairly large in the 3D printing world) is fairly expensive. For those of you asking why no company is making anything like this....here is your answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of notes on the cost.

I haven't yet finished making a complete and final one so all estimated costs are ballpark, they're not hardline.
Yes I agree $300 is a lot. For this particular size there are a couple ways I think I can bring this down closer to $250, but as pyrahna mentioned this really is mostly covering production costs. However, size is a major determining factor in 3D print costs, so for people who don't need as much storage there could be a smaller version, which will be cheaper too. Also a P5 version would be cheaper, as it essentially has the bottom cut off, to fit on the P5's BB gusset.

The reality is that this will not be for everyone, for people on a tight budget it wont represent the best bang for buck. To be honest as an athlete myself, I would rather people sort out bike fits, a comfy saddle, quality nutrition, aero wheels etc before worrying about something like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All, I've been designing a rear storage solution for my P5, since I use the down tube for an aero water bottle.

I've been tweaking it so that it works correctly. It attaches to the seat post and sits right behind the frame above the rear wheel.

Taking it out for a test run tomorrow to see how well it holds up. If it works, I'll get it 3d printed at shapeways. My bike is a 54.

Video of the 3d printed prototype installed on my bike. The printer's output is a bit crude but it does the job.

Video of spinning around the 3d model in Autodesk Fusion 360.

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Dec 9, 17 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point I blame Cervelo for the lack of storage options. Trek, Felt, QR, Canyon, Specialized all have stepped up to offer storage solutions for long course athletes. Cervelo has left its owners hanging with a useless bolt in their frames while they were developing a $15/$11k super bike. So what Cervelo has told me, in effect, is that if I want clean repair/nutrition storage on my frame I need to spend more than $10k, or send time and money trying to create a storage solution myself. I'm seriously considering selling my P3 and moving to an IA or Shiv due to Cervelo's inaction over this, and will not recommend the P2/3 to friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [brosenhammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course they are to blame. I can understand the logic that they don't want to upgrade the P5 as they want to sell their P5X, but I feel sorry for the P2 and P3 owners. The only alternative if they want storage for their low to middle priced bikes is to switch brands.... Just look at the nice new slowtwitch series about the 2500-3000$ bikes. All of them have storage options apart from the P2.

I guess the main fault is that the frame triangle has different measurements for each size. If it would be a "one size fits all" like the top tube bosses for bento boxes, someone would have produced something already.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [brosenhammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brosenhammer wrote:
At this point I blame Cervelo for the lack of storage options. Trek, Felt, QR, Canyon, Specialized all have stepped up to offer storage solutions for long course athletes. Cervelo has left its owners hanging with a useless bolt in their frames while they were developing a $15/$11k super bike. So what Cervelo has told me, in effect, is that if I want clean repair/nutrition storage on my frame I need to spend more than $10k, or send time and money trying to create a storage solution myself. I'm seriously considering selling my P3 and moving to an IA or Shiv due to Cervelo's inaction over this, and will not recommend the P2/3 to friends.

As a Cervelo P2 rider myself, I agree. I have the old P2 and to see the Shiv, Speed Concepts, and IAs on the market with much better designs for triathlon makes me jealous. Cervelo's slogan of "Simply Faster" may work for marketing but the bikes are so simple they lack basic features that triathletes want and need. I hate to say it but my next bike will probably not be a Cervelo.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shame of it is that I love everything else about the bike. I'm on a P3 with Di2, it's light, stable, and is a joy to ride compared to other ti bikes I've been on. But whenever a long race approaches I have to stress about storage. I'm not someone who is happy bolting $200 worth of parts I have to assemble myself behind my seat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate it too. I run an XLAB Delta 400 and the MultiStrike tube/co2 holder behind the saddle and I put stuff in the bento box but I wish it was just in a draft box behind the seat tube and I didn't have to figure out some solution to it. Draft boxes are not going away and are the new standard on bike design. A Felt IA gives you a lot more for the money than a P2 ever will. Or a Shiv or Speed Concept or QR....

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 13, 18 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the hell are all of you carrying around with more storage than my old touring bike?

The p2 / p3 has top tube bento mounts. Hide a tube / levers / CO2 under the seat and that's all I would ever need in a race, along with a BTA bottle and 1 or 2 bottles behind the seat. If I'm feeling especially pack mule-ish then an aero bottle could go in the main triangle.

To me, the draft box thingies are aero fairings that happen to double as storage, but they aren't necessary for effective storage.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try doing that on an old P2. The seatpost makes it really hard to get a tube in there. I gave up on that idea.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice design, I like it.

Any reason that the bottom of the storage unit is flat (vs the bottom curving to mostly match the rear wheel curve) ?

Also, what material is your prototype, ABS, PLA, Nylon, other ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, your last sentence answered your question dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done it on an "old" P2 (if you mean the original carbon P2), but given that you are talking about the lack of storage on the New P2, I'm not sure of the relevance.

I've never had an issue getting a tube in there somewhere, especially not if my x-lab BTS system is installed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen in person the draft boxes and what they can store?

Quote Reply

Prev Next