Quantcast
    MAIN INDEX RULES & LEGEND LOG IN  

Slowtwitch Forums: Triathlon Forum:
Cervelo - actual facts

 

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All  


bwain

Dec 30, 11 11:44

Post #51 of 116 (4921 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [gerard] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Any even more intriguing question......What brand of mountain bike do you ride?


justkeepedaling

Dec 30, 11 11:58

Post #52 of 116 (4884 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [bwain] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Maybe something Canadian? A Rocky Mountain?


Mr. Tibbs

Dec 30, 11 12:08

Post #53 of 116 (4858 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [AustinTriCyclst] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Awesome! The Lefty makes it even more super cool.
customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.


japarker24

Dec 30, 11 12:27

Post #54 of 116 (4816 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [JollyRogers] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

JollyRogers wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:
If anything was rendered "obsolete" by cervelo, then cervelo would win races.


Like the 70.3 champs? We do know what the Vegas/Kona champ rode when he chose a bike absent sponsorship considerations...

Or one of his sponsors *cough* all3sports(dot)com *cough* gave him a bike to ride. <not pink>

------------------------------------------------------------
3 down. 9 to go.


Jackb

Dec 30, 11 12:32

Post #55 of 116 (4802 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [gerard] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Thanks for coming here and giving your side

One thing you didn't touch on is why are some dealers not giving the rebate and why are some dealers so mad at Cervelo that they are calling customers at home? (other thread)


japarker24

Dec 30, 11 12:35

Post #56 of 116 (4792 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [Jackb] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Jackb wrote:
Thanks for coming here and giving your side

One thing you didn't touch on is why are some dealers not giving the rebate and why are some dealers so mad at Cervelo that they are calling customers at home? (other thread)

Gerard has stated that he doesn't know the details of the "Share the Ride" deal (I find that VERY interesting). So do you think that he is going to know why dealers don't like the deal that he admits that he doesn't know anything about?

------------------------------------------------------------
3 down. 9 to go.


JollyRogers

Dec 30, 11 12:38

Post #57 of 116 (4783 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [japarker24] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

japarker24 wrote:
JollyRogers wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:
If anything was rendered "obsolete" by cervelo, then cervelo would win races.


Like the 70.3 champs? We do know what the Vegas/Kona champ rode when he chose a bike absent sponsorship considerations...


Or one of his sponsors *cough* all3sports(dot)com *cough* gave him a bike to ride. <not pink>

All3sports sells Argon 18, Blue, Cervelo, Kestrel, Quintana Roo, and Scott brands, right?


NickG

Dec 30, 11 12:40

Post #58 of 116 (4777 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [gerard] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Gerard, I have 3 Cervelo's and look to add a 4th to the stable. No matter the business end of the company, as long as you continue to produce a superior product people will buy it. Thank you for making everyone in the tri niche to get a little better, it is promoting great strides in the sport and only helps everyone to grow in the long run.
_________________________
I got nothing.


ErnieK

Dec 30, 11 12:54

Post #59 of 116 (4744 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [AustinTriCyclst] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Austin Tri -
Cringe worthy on so many levels. My eyes, my eyes. Aero road frame, ungodly lefty fork, throw in some Mavic crossmax and you've got an abomination!


jackmott

Dec 30, 11 12:56

Post #60 of 116 (4735 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [ErnieK] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

ErnieK wrote:
Austin Tri -
Aero road frame,!

not a road frame!
mtb frame!


Austin Texas Group Rides - Updated for 2014
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter


AustinTriCyclst

Dec 30, 11 13:04

Post #61 of 116 (4713 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [ErnieK] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

It's actually the only Cervelo MTB in the world (that I know of).

I believe Gerard used to ride it.
Its the coolest bike I own (out of many)


http://www.austinTRIcyclist.com
http://www.Cannondale.com


SBR_bestgoodbad

Dec 30, 11 13:13

Post #62 of 116 (4677 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [gerard] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Tip o the Cap. Appreciate that you have engaged with your public and set the record straight, as you are able.

Someone said things tend to work out best when players- play, coaches-coach and owners-own ... seems you have done what many smart businessmen have done quite successfully: to also include let managers-manage, innovators-innovate, brand builders-build brands or let financiers- finance. Congratulations.

Such a Bad Runner


cincytri

Dec 30, 11 13:17

Post #63 of 116 (4664 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [guadzilla] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

 
"I think Cervelo is under no obligation to explain the dynamics of their arrangement with their dealers to us customers.

And with all due respect, I find it a little tasteless to keep hounding them on this subject. If you are a retailer, there are other channels for taking it up with them than a consumer-centric forum."

Of course Cervelo is under no obligation to tell me anything. The Share the Ride deal is not exactly a secret given the wide email distribution and the buzz on this forum. It is also not exactly a secret that this deal has not been universally well received by the LBS dealers. Gerard came on to "set the record straight" and mostly addressed the questions and concerns posted on this forum over the last couple of days. He did not address the questions I posed and that is why I asked. Seems pretty straightforward.

I'm not a retailer, but rather a consumer. If I were a retailer, I'd likely already know all the details on the promotion? So, as a consumer, on a "consumer-centric forum," I am still interested in knowing how the LBS handles the frameset compensation. I am/was all set to buy a P2 on the promotion until I actually spoke with a dealer who was, at best, less than enthused with the deal. Then I hear/read about LBS' declining to participate in the promotion because it is bad for their business. I'd like to know why. I like having brick and mortar shops and won't participate in deals, promotions, specials or sales that hurt their ability to pay their bills. I'm NOT saying that is what is happening with the Share the Ride program, but there are indications that it might be the case. Thats why I asked here and in other threads. I assumed that asking "The Man" when it comes to Cervelo might clear it up, but that appears to not be the case.

I'll leave it for others to decide exactly which parts of all of this discussion are, as you say, "tasteless."


JollyRogers

Dec 30, 11 13:20

Post #64 of 116 (4655 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [AustinTriCyclst] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

AustinTriCyclst wrote:
It's actually the only Cervelo MTB in the world (that I know of).

I believe Gerard used to ride it.
Its the coolest bike I own (out of many)

There was this from a couple of years back...




AustinTriCyclst

Dec 30, 11 13:51

Post #65 of 116 (4587 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [JollyRogers] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Yes
But mine is real.




http://www.austinTRIcyclist.com
http://www.Cannondale.com

(This post was edited by AustinTriCyclst on Dec 30, 11 14:12)


Francois

Dec 30, 11 14:03

Post #66 of 116 (4547 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [gerard] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Only one thing to say: bring back the anodized cervelo soloist! (even if it's just size 51)
-------------------------------------------

http://www.fmcoaching.com / http://elpasotricoaching.wordpress.com / currently accepting new athletes.


Fastyellow

Dec 30, 11 14:29

Post #67 of 116 (4486 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [cincytri] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Why don't you just ask the LBS? If they are bummed on it, I'm sure they would tell you why....

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3


cincytri

Dec 30, 11 14:42

Post #68 of 116 (4452 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [Fastyellow] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I would do that if I were anywhere close to the shop. I probably will ask next time I am back home visiting my parents. Probably won't be for some time though. When I was in the shop, the guy was not pleased about the $5k frame compensation as he would have trouble selling the frame. Forgot to ask if he could or would sell the frame for less than MSRP.

Why can't one of the many Cervelo dealers that frequent this forum just answer the question? Or for that matter, one of the co-founders of the company?

IMHO, if Cervelo makes the LBS sell the frame at MSRP, then its a bum deal. If the LBS can build and sell the frame however it sees fit, then this is a deal that everyone **should** be able to get behind.


Fastyellow

Dec 30, 11 14:50

Post #69 of 116 (4427 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [cincytri] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I'm sure one of the dealers probably will...

But as for Gerard, if you asked an engineer at my company about the logistics of our last sale, they wouldn't have a clue what to tell you. Much the same as Bill Gates wouldn't be able to speak about the logistics of a Microsoft sale. Different people handle those kinds of details. My partner for example would not be able to speak to any kind of sales we are having....he's simply not in every loop of the company....that would be impossible.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3


guadzilla

Dec 30, 11 22:27

Post #70 of 116 (4157 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [cincytri] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

cincytri wrote:
Why can't one of the many Cervelo dealers that frequent this forum just answer the question? Or for that matter, one of the co-founders of the company?

Same reason they won't publish their financials here or reveal how much their frames cost to manufacturer just b/c you or I ask for it: it is none of our business - this is something between Cervelo and their dealers, and has nothing to do with us customers.

I run a small business (a dive center) and we sell direct and through travel agents. I'd never reveal the workings of our arrangements with travel partners to a retail customer - for one, it is none of their business and second, how I incentivize our partners is confidential information.

Being a customer doesn't give you or me the right to ask all sorts of intrusive questions. Get over that sense of entitlement.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope


cidewar

Dec 30, 11 22:42

Post #71 of 116 (4147 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [gerard] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Gerard

Of course there are other major US bike companies that are currently thriving with a co-ownership structure. Best of luck with your new partners.


PeacefulWarrior

Dec 30, 11 23:19

Post #72 of 116 (4112 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [CPT Chaos] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

CPT Chaos wrote:
Well said Gerard,
I doubt some of those who spoke so vociferously about your demise in the other threads will have much to say here (speedracer, et all), and I personally think we should move the topic to the P5. Do us a favour and give us something on that bike.... a little Xmas treat!?!!?!?!?
Cheers,

SpeedRacer1 wrote:
And we are getting way off topic here. I don't know what's going on with Cervelo, but obviously something is. Guess we will find out.

Care to retract your statement there CPT ChaASS?

And man do you have a lot of brown on your nose. It's as if you went to Cervelo HQ's found their CEO and buried your face in his.....


Salmon Steve

Dec 30, 11 23:36

Post #73 of 116 (4094 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [Francois] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Francois wrote:
Only one thing to say: bring back the anodized cervelo soloist! (even if it's just size 51)

Actually got one of those in the garage that we were thinking of off-loading, it won 2 World Cups so has pedigree...

you interested? :)


cincytri

Dec 31, 11 6:23

Post #74 of 116 (3936 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [guadzilla] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

"Same reason they won't publish their financials here or reveal how much their frames cost to manufacturer just b/c you or I ask for it: it is none of our business - this is something between Cervelo and their dealers, and has nothing to do with us customers.

I run a small business (a dive center) and we sell direct and through travel agents. I'd never reveal the workings of our arrangements with travel partners to a retail customer - for one, it is none of their business and second, how I incentivize our partners is confidential information.

Being a customer doesn't give you or me the right to ask all sorts of intrusive questions. Get over that sense of entitlement."



I would agree with what you wrote above if it were true. As a general rule, I don't think customers have the right to know everything about manufacturer-dealer financials. However, as I mentioned in an earlier reply to you, the Share the Ride promotion was a pretty significant media blitz for the company and reached email boxes and several internet forums. I went in to an LBS with interest in buying a P2 and heard directly from the owners mouth that the deal was "terrible" for his business. He provided a couple of details regarding the frameset compensation and how he'd be losing money on the deal. We've heard from several ST'ers that their shop would not be a part of the promotion because it is bad for business. (one more this morning, in fact). I think it is fair to say at this point that the customer is squarely in the middle of this deal. Customers, it seems, have to make a choice between doing the right thing for their own pocketbooks or what is right for the small LBS who sells Cervelo.

I would invite you to get over your own sense of entitlement. Consumers have the right and ability to spend their money wisely. Just because industry and business don't want their customers to be informed, doesn't mean that the information won't make it to the general public. Edmonds, Consumer Reports, Kelly Blue book and others demonstrate that reality. When Cervelo, LBS and customers let the details of this promotion be known, it invited many questions that apparently won't be answered on a public forum. I am not asking for details on markup, invoice, production cost, etc. I just want to know if I would really be hurting a bike shop by taking advantage of a bike brand's promotion- a promotion that apparently was never discussed with their dealer network.

Notice that I am not arguing for information that could be used to assist the consumer in putting the screws to their shop for a better deal. I am advocating for the brick and motor shop who can't float building and selling bikes for free. As a business owner, surely you can understand why selling things for free might not be good for your business.

I am reaching the tentative conclusion that this is a bad deal for the LBS. I love Cervelo products, but I love supporting small shops more. You can drive small shops out of business if you wish, but I'll take a pass on the deal for now.

**If, however, there is a Cervelo dealer in the midwest (Cincinnati, Columbus, Indy) that thinks this is a great deal and has P2's in 54/56 or S5 team in 56, let me know. I'd pull the trigger if a shop thinks this promotion is good for its business. That has not been my experience thus far.**


Floyd5k

Dec 31, 11 6:33

Post #75 of 116 (3915 views)
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [guadzilla] (Deleted by Floyd5k) [In reply to]

 

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All  
 
 
 



Volunteer, Relay or straight to tri?
Were you introduced to tri through volunteering at a tri, or by competing first as a member of a relay, or did you begin immediately by doing the entire tri?
Volunteer
Relay member
Volunteer, then relay, then tri
Entire tri immediately
I don't do triathlons