Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

After getting a Retul fit last month I'm in the market for my first tri specific bike. Gonna do the IM in Frankfurt next year :-)

I was quite sure I was going to get the Cervélo P2, especially since the black version came out. However, due to the dollar getting stronger, the bike is more expensive than it was last year.

Next to that, Felt came up with a great alternative: the IA 14. The IA 16 would have been even better but it seems that we are going to wait a little bit longer - it's not on the website yet...

However: another bike shop turned out to have a great deal. They can offer me the Cervélo P3 for the same price I can get a P2 at other shops. It's a model that has been on display at two bike shows, but other than that it's a brand new (and 100% original) bike. Probably the P3 is a bit too much for me as I'm definitely MP, but I think it's by far the best looking bike out of the three.

Fitwise all three bikes are in the list of models recommended by the fitter.

Just curious what you guys think of this. Anything I should pay attention to or take into account?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14 [larsvanzanten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IA16 is a European only model. No bike is too much bike for you. The P2 and P3 are the same bike with a slightly different fork.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Sep 3, 15 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hm, not really, as it turns out. I'm from Europe :-) However: the IA 16 is nowhere to be found...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In that case, wait until it comes out and decide. Either way the IA14/16 or P2/P3 will be great bikes. The P3 is probably a bit faster at lower yaw angles. However, pick what's best for you

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of riding and what kind of yaw do you see? If you do long IM type races, the Felt IA might be nice for the onboard storage and integration. If you do shorter races like TT, then the Cervelo might be a better option. If you see lower yaw, go with the Cervelo. If you see higher yaw, go with the Felt. Both will fit you with the modern aero bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few things to consider in choosing between P2/3 (the same frame) and the Felt IA:

1. The brakes are different. The Felt IA uses an under the bottom bracket mount rear brake, whereas the Cervelo uses a more conventional brake placement on the seatstay area. Which do you prefer?

2. Felt built some provisions for internal storage into the IA platform. The "CalPac" internal storage unit on the top tube enable integrated, internal carriage of gels, etc. For Cervelo, you'll need an additional means of carrying gels, race tablets, etc on the top tube if that feature is important to you. These are available from a number of vendors such as XLab, Torhans, Dark Speed Works, etc.

3. The bottom brackets are different. Cervelo uses the (nearly) proprietary BBRight bottom bracket format, a wider, assymetrical bottom bracket frame shell. Your crank choices are wide and varied, but some choices may require an adapter or additional parts. The Felt IA bottom bracket is not BBRight, it is (copied from their website) "BB30 Frame". That may alter your crank and bottom bracket choices. And remember, if you use crank based power measurement you need to be sure your proposed crank/bottom bracket/power meter is supported by the bike you choose (or vice-versa?).

Those are three quick differences I can divine. Remember that these two brands are contemporaries and competitors. They are well aware of each others' offerings and seek to produce ways to differentiate themselves. Either brand would disagree that the choices are roughly interchangeable.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14 [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For next year, my focus will be on the long distance (gonna do the IM in Frankfurt). Just did my first one this year, a half distance (oh, and an Olympic disctance as some sort of practice round). Have some background in cycling though. But I'm not sure whether I'll be focusing on those distances after the 2016 season. Maybe I will go for shorter ones, who knows :-) After all, I loved the half distance as it was my A goal for this year, but there are many more Olympic ones here in Holland
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
There are a few things to consider in choosing between P2/3 (the same frame) and the Felt IA:

1. The brakes are different. The Felt IA uses an under the bottom bracket mount rear brake, whereas the Cervelo uses a more conventional brake placement on the seatstay area. Which do you prefer?

2. Felt built some provisions for internal storage into the IA platform. The "CalPac" internal storage unit on the top tube enable integrated, internal carriage of gels, etc. For Cervelo, you'll need an additional means of carrying gels, race tablets, etc on the top tube if that feature is important to you. These are available from a number of vendors such as XLab, Torhans, Dark Speed Works, etc.

3. The bottom brackets are different. Cervelo uses the (nearly) proprietary BBRight bottom bracket format, a wider, assymetrical bottom bracket frame shell. Your crank choices are wide and varied, but some choices may require an adapter or additional parts. The Felt IA bottom bracket is not BBRight, it is (copied from their website) "BB30 Frame". That may alter your crank and bottom bracket choices. And remember, if you use crank based power measurement you need to be sure your proposed crank/bottom bracket/power meter is supported by the bike you choose (or vice-versa?).

Those are three quick differences I can divine. Remember that these two brands are contemporaries and competitors. They are well aware of each others' offerings and seek to produce ways to differentiate themselves. Either brand would disagree that the choices are roughly interchangeable.

Correct me if I am wrong but the other difference is the IA is not UCI legal for any other kind of race while the P3 is. So if you'll be doing any kind of competitive TT race in the future you'll not be able to use the IA. That being said I'm a happy IA owner and have nothing but absolute good things to say about this bike. It's a rocket!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just pure visually, I prefer the rear brake under the bottom bracket on the Felt. However, the way Cervelo has mounted it seems easier for service. Or am I wrong?

Built-in internal storage on the Felt is nice. However, it's possible on the Cervelo as well as there are mounting points. Not really much of an issue to me.

Bottom bracket doesn't make much of a difference to me either. I'm planning to use the one that comes with the bike. As a power meter I would like to mount Garmin Vectors, so no crank based one. I'd like to switch between my road bike and the tri bike with the pedals :-)

Should read a bit more into the low/high yaw thing though, not really sure about that yet.

Thanks all for your help already - pointed out some things I didn't consider yet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to keep in mind is the IA comes with an aero bar which has far greater adjustment than the P3, both in reach and stack. Also, the IA bar has the ability to independently adjust the angle of the pads and extensions, which has a far greater impact on aerodynamics than any other differences between the two designs. On average, we see between 10-15 watts savings as long as it's done correctly. Not something to ignore.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The aerobat was also mentioned by my fitter. It seems that maybe the Felt is a better bike for me right now. Just have to get used to the way it looks. I think the frame itself looks badass (it just screams speed), but I'm not a big fan of the blue and green.

So, the advantages of the IA:
  • faster at high yaw;
  • has on board storage;
  • has brake mounted under the bottom bracket, which I think is visually more appealing;
  • not really an advantage, but no problem for me: it's not UCI-legal;
  • aero bar has greater adjustment;
  • it's a bit cheaper right now (but not much) - problem is: if I ever want to sell the bike, the P3 is the better choice (its MSRP is way higher, but it's on discount right now as it has been used as a demo model on a show)
  • I can buy it at the same shop where I got my Retul fit (and the fitter will make sure it's all set correct). The P3 I have to get at a different shop, which brings hassle and extra costs.

Oooh such a difficult decision...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you wear thuis tri suit with the IA14 paint scheme and you'll look like a PRO ;-)

http://shop.pearlizumi.com/...290/13111105_3YQ.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the Felt is right for you
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Also, the IA bar has the ability to independently adjust the angle of the pads and extensions, which has a far greater impact on aerodynamics than any other differences between the two designs. On average, we see between 10-15 watts savings as long as it's done correctly. Not something to ignore.

I assume the bars are something that could be swapped out, so is it really bike dependent? Could you be more specific about the different bars you are talking about? I just got a killer deal on a P2K (the blue one, everyone wants black, so I got a blue/white for $1800), but basically just wanted it for the frameset and I am open to switching out bars and brakes to make the bike faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14 [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess so. On the verge of getting the IA14, but now I'm not sure which size to get. The stack and reach is different from the "old" IA series...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also got a 2014 P2 for $1975, it is the blue one. I upgraded quite a components (wheels, tires, tubes, TRP Brakes, Campy 11S Record drivetrain, base bar) with the extra $ I saved on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14 [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Tom Demerly wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but the other difference is the IA is not UCI legal for any other kind of race while the P3 is. So if you'll be doing any kind of competitive TT race in the future you'll not be able to use the IA. That being said I'm a happy IA owner and have nothing but absolute good things to say about this bike. It's a rocket!

Perhaps not relavant for the OP but the IA was allowed at USA TT Nationals this year from my understanding.
I used it all year in our local time trials as well.
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P3/P2 vs Felt IA14 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
cshowe80 wrote:
Tom Demerly wrote:

Perhaps not relavant for the OP but the IA was allowed at USA TT Nationals this year from my understanding.
I used it all year in our local time trials as well.
-SD

Good to know! Thanks SuperDave I haven't been to any TT events this year. I actually skipped one because I didn't have Clip-ons on my AR which I thought would be the only acceptable bike I could use. I'll test out this theory in the great white north and report back on it here. Good to know as a product manager I imagine!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply