Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Century 2 weeks before IM
Quote | Reply
So what's the consensus on long rides close to IM? Would like to do another century as prep but it would have to be 13 days before race, is that too close? Obv it would be super easy pace.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Century 2 weeks before IM [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 weeks is still plenty of time to build/keep fitness.
I would do one up to the weekend before the event. Personally I dont think a 5-6 hr ride should do that much damage to you.
Runs are different !
You mentioned it would be at 'super easy pace' - what does that mean in relation to IM pace?
I would argue a 3hr ride at IM pace is much better simulation than a 5hr recovery ride
Quote Reply
Re: Century 2 weeks before IM [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay great! I would say my planned pace would be slightly under IM pace. Mostly to practice comfort in saddle for a long time. Don't have too much experience from 5+ hour rides, mostly ride 2-3h tempo which is why I wanted to get another century before raceday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of depends on what you have been doing.

If you have been riding 100 milers and 2 other solid rides for the last several weeks then sure.

If you are struggling to get 100 miles done and are riding easy for another 1 or 2 rides per week then maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like you this year I have a century 3 weeks out from Wisconsin. Goal is to have 7 centuries
before I head to Madison. Then I want to get 1-2 more after Madison to set myself up for Florida.

I will ride the one before Madison in a group ride but staying way off the back incase of an accident.
Basically going thru an easy easy century.

Hopefully the plan will work for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be fine, plenty of time to recover as part of your taper and it sounds like you've gotten in at least one already as part of your build.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Century 2 weeks before IM [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I've done a 170k ride, quite a few at around 100k. Normally bike around 250-300k/w. Seems like most folks here say it will be fine so will go for it plus maybe a 30 min brick after.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do two 100+ mile rides at two weeks away from the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
So what's the consensus on long rides close to IM? Would like to do another century as prep but it would have to be 13 days before race, is that too close? Obv it would be super easy pace.

My last long ride is usually two weeks out from IM. I find that works best for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:

Not sure why you say obv easy pace, 2 weeks is plenty of time to recover from a 100 mile hard ride. That is if you've been riding centuries multiple times leading into the race and you are comfortable with the distance. I personally ride multiple 120-140 mile rides leading into an Ironman so 100 can feel like a taper.
Quote Reply
Re: Century 2 weeks before IM [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
oscaro wrote:

Not sure why you say obv easy pace, 2 weeks is plenty of time to recover from a 100 mile hard ride. That is if you've been riding centuries multiple times leading into the race and you are comfortable with the distance. I personally ride multiple 120-140 mile rides leading into an Ironman so 100 can feel like a taper.
I haven't done too many centuries unfortunately, as I wrote earlier mostly have done 3h hard rides on weekends. Going out for a long ride tomorrow, if I have time I will try to do 200k, would feel good as you say to do a longer than iron bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
CP78 wrote:
oscaro wrote:

I haven't done too many centuries unfortunately, as I wrote earlier mostly have done 3h hard rides on weekends. Going out for a long ride tomorrow, if I have time I will try to do 200k, would feel good as you say to do a longer than iron bike.

Ok well knowing your history then, now is not the time to cram. If you've only done 3 hours prior I wouldnt go over 4 hours 30 min ride time 2 weeks before. Mix in some hard efforts.
Last edited by: CP78: Jul 21, 17 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Century 2 weeks before IM [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To clarify, the race is 4 weeks away, will do a long ride tomorrow, and a longish ride (4h) and then the other century in 2w.

Quote Reply