Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cav says Venge is faster than S5
Quote | Reply
http://www.cyclingnews.com/...-its-win-or-nothing/

Quote:
I think we're always at a disadvantage with the aerodynamic differences between our bicycles. We've got a five-year old bike and I know how fast that Venge goes.

Don't really know Cav means by this, since he can be a bit wry at times and it's not like the S5 is a slow bike (someone else can pull the Tour article). Nevertheless, it's a rare bit of candor on equipment from a pro.

Surprised no one had already posted this as "Cav thinks discs are faster than rim brakes", since Viviani was on the disc Venge.
Quote Reply
Re: Cav says Venge is faster than S5 [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latest Tour mag testing (2018)

Like many people he is labouring under the misconception that newer is always better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
www.cyclingnews.com/news/mark-cavendish-for-me-its-win-or-nothing/

Quote:
I think we're always at a disadvantage with the aerodynamic differences between our bicycles. We've got a five-year old bike and I know how fast that Venge goes.

Don't really know Cav means by this, since he can be a bit wry at times and it's not like the S5 is a slow bike (someone else can pull the Tour article). Nevertheless, it's a rare bit of candor on equipment from a pro.

Surprised no one had already posted this as "Cav thinks discs are faster than rim brakes", since Viviani was on the disc Venge.

Yes, because it was released 5 years ago, it MUST be slower :-/

Cav doesn't know how good he has it...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is news to me, and about everyone else, that the S5 is an aero turd. His ENVE wheels are also probably a big advantage over the Rovals (according to the BikeRadar wind tunnel testing). Those things were horrible with a 25 mm tire.

If he is really worried, he could stick a TriRig on the front and be darn near even aero-wise and he doesn't have to carry the extra weight of the Vias Venge around. It is a cool bike and I would love to have one, but they aren't light.

Sounds like sour grapes more than a joke. You don't trash your sponsor's bike for giggles. I will buy his argument when he is losing out in the sprints by less than a bike length.
Quote Reply
Re: Cav says Venge is faster than S5 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Latest Tour mag testing (2018)

Like many people he is labouring under the misconception that newer is always better.

I haven't looked at that Tour mag test yet...do you recall what brake was used on the S5? I'm assuming a "standard" sidepull caliper with the housing hanging out in the wind?

I wonder what the S5 curve would look like with an aerodynamically shaped front brake and a rear brake cable entry behind the stem (how I had my gen1 S5 set up)?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also, the s5 isn't 5 years old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right. Which makes me wonder if Cav is lobbing bombs at his sponsors for other reasons or maybe just making a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Cav says Venge is faster than S5 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
also, the s5 isn't 5 years old.

Correct...the newest version came out 3 years ago, right?

Let's see...I had my bikes stolen in 2015, and I remember pondering whether or not to get the new S5 as a replacement...so yeah, 3 years, I think.

Quote Reply
Re: Cav says Venge is faster than S5 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you translate that graph into watts or seconds for me? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep i saw this today, Cervelo must have loved those comments.

Venge more aero? Maybe a slightly. Stiffer? For sure. But as someone else pointed out he is riding on ENVE wheels not Rovals which are not very stiff wheels at all so he has a big aero and stiffness advantage on ENVE wheels. Sounds like a sore loser to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Cav says Venge is faster than S5 [Chris B.O.B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris B.O.B. wrote:
Can you translate that graph into watts or seconds for me? Thanks!

Nope. I don't do that any more :-P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new S5 came first to market November 2014 and was in a Tour Mag Test (ore what ever they do in their garage) spring 2015 measured faster with it's HED wheels than with Zipps, it was the only bike measured faster with it original set up and the fastest bike at all. The next test time the german magazine changed the results and a german brand won, like in the newest test iteration where weight differences for grand fcondo set ups came into account. But even there belongs the S5 to the 3 very fastest bikes by Tour Mag maths on the flats and rolling hills next to a german and tx brand. Maybe Cav is so addictive to win that he cries like a little .. (I don't know the correct english word here) ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

I haven't looked at that Tour mag test yet...do you recall what brake was used on the S5? I'm assuming a "standard" sidepull caliper with the housing hanging out in the wind?

2014 the current S5 came out. I got mine at the start of 2015. If anything happens to it I'll either have it repaired or hunt out another as I can't imagine another bike suiting me so well. Especially given that new bikes are going to all have separate braking discs.

Also, for the comments on wheels - tour testing showed that Roval CLX 50 and Enve pretty similar (based on those wheels vs 404FC on the Venge and S5 respectively)
Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Feb 7, 18 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give the manxboy a Venge and watch what happens ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Re: Cav says Venge is faster than S5 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:

Same thing that has happened every time that he doesn't win - more whinging
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but for whinging (and what it means to be) he is in the wrong team, they have some serious racers ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:

50% chance he'll crash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In his defense might not be about aero vs handling.

I rode an S5 for a day to test before purchase and felt it handled like a pig, the back end felt heavy underneath me and god help me if i could descend on it. It might be aero but.....n+1 where my $$ was being spent i handed it back. Gasp ST...at that time i went R5 and loved that bike for 3 wonderful seasons (sold 2016 & now on Madone)

At those speeds and that chaos handling is critical.

Thats just me. An opinion.

Fire away ST Cervelomafia-:)

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Cav says Venge is faster than S5 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't belong to the ST Cervélo Mafia .. the S5 got the same stiffness than the R series of that time .. the difference in geometry is the race and comfort approach .. so in the case of their geometry edit: ride quality .. the animal edit: .. that can't adopt .. is on the machine ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Feb 7, 18 20:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank God, this thread title had me worried! I've on a 2014 S5 Ultegra Di2 with Jet6+ . Gorgeous bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Cav just won the latest Dubai Tour stage on it, so maybe his opinion of the S5 will improve a bit now : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cav has always been a bit 'mardy'.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Odd that they'd test the Venge in the disc brake version, is there a rim brake version of that bike? Was the Canyon disc too?
Quote Reply
Re: Cav says Venge is faster than S5 [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes there is a Venge rim brake

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
I don't belong to the ST Cervélo Mafia .. the S5 got the same stiffness than the R series of that time .. the difference in geometry is the race and comfort approach .. so in the case of their geometry edit: ride quality .. the animal edit: .. that can't adopt .. is on the machine ..

I've heard that line about the S5 and R5 having the same ride characteristics. I'm not sure I believe it entirely. I can't imagine those pencil-thin R5 seat stays being all for show. Not like Cervelo to do things just for cosmetic purposes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next