Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Caution re: Merlin Cycles in UK
Quote | Reply
Just a word of caution about ordering from Merlin Cycles in the UK.

I ordered two sets of pedals and four sets of cleats. When the order arrived, bearings were bad in 3 of 4 pedals, and only 3 sets of cleats were sent.

I contacted Merlin Cycles and was told that I would have to pay to ship back (overseas) the defective pedals to get a refund.

Basically told I was out of luck on the missing cleats—“we only ship complete orders.”

Unfortunately, I remembered too late that this was the company that in the past shipped me the wrong tubes. :-(

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Dec 8, 17 19:28
Quote Reply
Re: Caution re: Merlin Cycles in UK [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Merlin. I too order from them all the time and never had any problems with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call your credit card company and do a chargeback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have to add that I have purchased several hundred thousand dollars worth of parts and have never had a problem with Merlin.
Quote Reply
Re: Caution re: Merlin Cycles in UK [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I also have to add that I have purchased several hundred thousand dollars worth of parts and have never had a problem with Merlin.

I knew the triathlon spending habit was bad, I didn't realise it had got quite that out of hand!
Quote Reply
Re: Caution re: Merlin Cycles in UK [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
I also have to add that I have purchased several hundred thousand dollars[/b] worth of parts and have never had a problem with Merlin.[/quote]

I knew the triathlon spending habit was bad, I didn't realise it had got quite that out of hand![/quote]
haha good catch, unless he didnt misspelled

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Caution re: Merlin Cycles in UK [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite often I will be waiting for a shipment of parts from Shimano in Japan to build bikes. Merlin is usually the next best price on groups and delivers in two days for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had decent luck with Merlin and Pro Bike kit (including with errors) and bad luck with Wiggle (though it was eventually corrected). I guess the moral of the story is that online shopping, especially from other countries, will always have a certain amount of risk. The lower cost of items usually is why we are willing to take that risk.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never had an issue with Merlin, and I've been buying things from them since the 90s. I'm from the uk, and companies like wiggle offer free returns, which make ordering stuff pretty risk free.

I often buy stuff from abroad, usually Germany, but accept there is a definite risk in that returns will not be as easy. Often it is stated that returns have to be paid for. I guess if something is defective though this shouldn't be the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Caution re: Merlin Cycles in UK [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A problem with overseas orders is negating customs duties on the way in. Shipping is one thing, but I am not sure how customs treat returns. Do they take them with no duties
Quote Reply
Re: Caution re: Merlin Cycles in UK [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had a problem with them either -- shipping to the U.S. is a hair slower than some of the others, but all my orders have been handled well. I made one return and there was no problem with customs (order value was ~$500). Return shipping cost me ~$30 but given all the money I've saved using them it was worth the risk. I still prefer ChainReaction and Wiggle though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They once shipped me the wrong wheelset (which bummed me out) however they provided a shipping label to send it back. Also I contacted them about having to pay duty and they paid it on an Etap order. I had to call a few times and email to get the wheelset issue set straight. I’d try again maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Caution re: Merlin Cycles in UK [nickvox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had an issue with them, great prices and service
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Just a word of caution about ordering from Merlin Cycles in the UK.

I ordered two sets of pedals and four sets of cleats. When the order arrived, bearings were bad in 3 of 4 pedals, and only 3 sets of cleats were sent.

I contacted Merlin Cycles and was told that I would have to pay to ship back (overseas) the defective pedals to get a refund.

Basically told I was out of luck on the missing cleats—“we only ship complete orders.”

Unfortunately, I remembered too late that this was the company that in the past shipped me the wrong tubes. :-(

Just to respond to some of the experiences noted in this thread.

I had great experiences with merlin and wiggle, got bummed on a chain reaction order. Just depends on your experience as to your opinion of a supplier.

If they shafted you I feel for you dude its a bummer. I personally will never use chain reaction again but would order from merlin no problem. Get really shitty with them and phone them up with some bad attitude. Hope you get a result!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Caution re: Merlin Cycles in UK [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" I am not sure how customs treat returns. Do they take them with no duties "

Yes.
Quote Reply