Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Castelli Winter Jackets
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the Alpha, Gabba 2, and the Elemento 2 7x(AIR) jackets. Do you have any one of these? What do you recommend?

Alpha: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/castelli-alpha-jacket
Gabba 2: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...ertibile-jacket-mens
Elemento 2 7x(AIR): http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...-2-7xair-jacket-mens

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Nov 29, 15 20:46
Quote Reply
Re: Castelli Winter Jackets [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What temperature range are you looking for?
Quote Reply
Re: Castelli Winter Jackets [Breezie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mid 20s to 50s

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in 39F tonight and would have been cold in just my gabba2. I believe the gabba2 isn't a jacket but a jersey. The gabba2 would cover the 40-50F range you want. I don't own either of the other two you mentioned so maybe someone else can help with those. I do recommend the Assos Bonka for a Winter jacket. It will handle down to 20F and even
lower with the right base layers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say, your temperature range is a little too wide.

I own 2 Elemento's 7X (was so impressed with the first I bought a second one right away). It is fabulous in ranges of +3 to +10 Celsius with a single base layer and nothing more underneath.

However, when it's getting close to the freezing point, the Elemento isn't enough anymore (and it doesn't offer much of long term protection against anything coming from the air either). As with all Castelli performance oriented wear, the fit is quite tight, so you don't have much room for more layers underneath, max is a base + jersey only.

Anyway, for temperatures of -5 to 0 I'm using Castelli Espresso 3 (again, with a single base layer usually), which is quite warmer than Elemento. Can't comment on the Alpha, but I suspect, it is on the warmer side.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gabba is for spring/autumn, not winter.
Based on reviews and Castelli's own rating, Alpha is better water protected than Elemento. Customer reviews tells about 1 - 1.5 hour in pouring rain without being wet inside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just agonized over this decision, eventually decided the Elemento was best. It's a Christmas present, so I won't know if I made the right choice until later...here's hoping
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up both a Gabba 2 LS and Alpha for the winter. Both can be had with a pretty good discount if you look around. I was blown away by the Gabba. Kept me fairly comfortable on a day that ranged from high 20's while climbing (slightly warm), mid 30's while descending (slightly cold), and up to the 50's on the flats for a few hours (slightly warm). Best description I've read of it is a cold weather jersey for harder efforts. Alpha on the other hand is a true jacket with inner fleece vest and outer shell. Perfect for the rides that stay sub 45 or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gabba - all day everyday. If it is colder use a base layer and no issues. I have used it under 30F and was never uncomfortable at all. It is the most versatile piece of apparel i have ever bought for cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience with Castelli Jackets/Jerseys is that any of their tight form fitting ones work great. They block the wind very well and do a great job keeping me warm. The only issue I have is that even in the upper 40s and 50s I'll tend to get hot and sweat. So basically if it's in the 50s you will end up a bit hot in any of these jackets. I have a Castelli Free Jacket which I tend to wear if it's 45 or lower for the entire ride, and the Mortirolo 3 which I wear if I know it's going to warm up into the 50s.

You might want to look at the Mortirolo 3 which has vented zippers on the front that you can open up to help keep things comfortable during hard efforts.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...oyMTpjY0NhdDEwMDE5Nw==

The expresso 3 also has the vents.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...MTozOmNjQ2F0MTAwMTk3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I have the Gabba 2, the one without the removable sleeves, but otherwise appears to be the same. I've ridden in high-20s nonwindy environments and haven't been cold with a long sleeved base layer. Definitely my favorite jacket, but I guess it might be not warm enough for some people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Elemento - have ridden in 23-45* in it just fine, though 45* felt like heat training for Coz in it.

Elemento is definitely not waterproof so keep conditions in consideration.

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Senza jacket. It was too good of a deal to pass up. it is great from about 30 up to 42... I put a base layer on under it... anything above 42-45 and I am too hot in it FWIW.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Castelli Winter Jackets [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Under 30°? That's seriously laughable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breezie wrote:
Under 30°? That's seriously laughable.

I have no idea if you are a male or a female but what's laughable is your comment. Grow a set of stones. Actually when you make a comment like that all you do is show others how soft you are. Good luck with that. I needed a good laugh tonight. Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First ride with a Gabba 2 jersey today with an icebreaker 200 wool baselayer at -5C (23F). Rode for an hour and was slightly damp when I got to work. Had a backpack on as well.

Very comfortable and if it were to get any colder I could add another wool layer. I had to size up, as the fit of a Med is quite snug particularly in the arms.
Quote Reply
Re: Castelli Winter Jackets [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I got the Gabba 2, I would get the Flanders Long Sleeve half zip base layer. Does the removable sleeves make the Gabba 2 worth it compared to the Alpha?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
If I got the Gabba 2, I would get the Flanders Long Sleeve half zip base layer. Does the removable sleeves make the Gabba 2 worth it compared to the Alpha?
My Gabba doesn't have removable sleeves. I'm not a big fan of removing the sleeves mid ride and would just wear a vest if it was going to be warmer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Gabba 2 convertable jacket.
I bought it last year, however I live in So Cal and did not wear it on the bike at all last season.

2 weeks ago, I went to visit a buddy in Vancouver. The weather was pretty crappy especially for a guy from So Cal. Temps in the 40's and drizzle to light rain. For both days I wore the jacket, and a thin Lyrca base layer.
Day 1 was Mtn biking in the rain. It was a bit chilly until the effort levels went up. Then it was perfect. It kept the rain out, and kept a perfect micro climate inside of the jacket. I was super comfortable for 2 hours at moderate to high intesity efforts. The jacket was covered in Mud, but washed clean as new.
The 2nd day was a road ride low 40's with a bit of drizzle. Again the jacket was a bit chilly at the start of the ride until the effort levels went up. Just coasting around the venting let in a bit of cold air. However once we kicked up a decend tempo, SUPER comfortable again. Drizzle and Rain stayed out, sweat evaporated out as well.

I could see riding in this in the 30's with a thicker base layer (UnderArmour Cold Gear)

I think the advertisement I saw for this jacket is perfect. It is for riding in miserable weather. Anything worse, stay on the trainer.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Castelli Winter Jackets [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So another vote for the Gabba 2. Anyone know anything about the Alpha?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow what a tough guy, I'm still laughing at you for a using a gabba2 in 30° which doesn't make you tough, just incredibly stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breezie wrote:
Wow what a tough guy, I'm still laughing at you for a using a gabba2 in 30° which doesn't make you tough, just incredibly stupid.
The Gabba 2 isn't for pussies who noodle along at 100W and don't generate any heat of their own. Perhaps a down coat is more suitable for you. Or just stay inside if it's chilly out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So now gregf83 starts name calling, very mature of you I must say. Calling me a pussy are you? Well you are what you eat, yet I digress. Now where were we? One could wear a t- shirt out in 20°F but that doesn't make one tough, just another idiot. It's actually quite irresponsible of you to give out information that contradicts Castelli's own temperature range for the Gabba2 which is 43F-64F. Your bragging about being in the wrong gear at lower temps shows your lack of credibility on the subject, that coupled with your name calling and maturity level of a child further adds to you being one worth laughing at. Please continue providing us with more to laugh at, you are doing great so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the gabba two with a warm base layer down to 30 degreesF. just me though. Best jacket I have owned and well worth the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yo Breezie, you seem to be outnumbered on this.... apparently you are wearing them without a baselayer, which to me, is silly as you can make a single jacket much more versatile with a much cheaper article of clothing. gabba 2 FTMFW
Quote Reply

Prev Next