Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Castelli Aero Jersey 5.0 or Stealth T1
Quote | Reply
I wonder how the Aero Jersey 5.0 compares to the Stealth T1 as far as aerodynamics are concerned. The Aero Jersey has a full length zipper which would make putting on and taking off the Aero Jersey much quicker than the Stealth T1 which appears to have a half zipper. If the Stealth T1 could be worn under a wetsuit without issue, then it would be a good option.

BTW, I have seen pictures of the Stealth T1 with a half zipper and arms that come to the elbow, and a full zipper with full length arms. Are both versions available? It seems that any top intended to be put on or taken off in transition should have a full zipper.
Quote Reply
Re: Castelli Aero Jersey 5.0 or Stealth T1 [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a Stealth T1 a few weeks ago and it is a full zip with arms going down to the elbows FWIW

I think it is a good option with aero and sun protection. I dunno if I'd wear it under a wetsuit though cause I'd be scared to stretch it too much in the swim stroke and start getting wrinkles, which would make it not so aero
Quote Reply
Re: Castelli Aero Jersey 5.0 or Stealth T1 [nvas21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have to specify a full length zipper? Maybe all current T1 are designed this way. The scenario I envision would be to wear a two piece tri kit under a wetsuit, put the T1 on in transition for the bike, and then remove the T1 for the run. A full length zipper and arms going down to the elbows should make this process pretty quick. Have you tried putting the T1 on while wet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I did not have to specify that I wanted a full length zip.

My guess is that this is the final production version of the top, with the Kona give-aways being more of a prototype model.

Check out the castelli website:
http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/1001/

^I got that exact same top, basically.

I have put it on while wet. The hardest part, as you can imagine, are the sleeves. It is doable, however, but takes a bit longer. I'm thinking of using plastic bags on the hands to help slip it on. It's something we did during high school swimming for those leg skins if we were still wet from warm-up. I think something that is overlooked on this top is the pockets in the back. I really like how they are and was surprised how much they could hold. About three gel flasks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Did you have to specify a full length zipper? Maybe all current T1 are designed this way. The scenario I envision would be to wear a two piece tri kit under a wetsuit, put the T1 on in transition for the bike, and then remove the T1 for the run. A full length zipper and arms going down to the elbows should make this process pretty quick. Have you tried putting the T1 on while wet?

The production T1 is not what you saw in Kona. It is sleeved and a full zip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds great. I just placed an order for a size Medium T1. If it is not the full zipper, or if it is too much of a PITA to pull on when wet, I can always return it. Hopefully the Medium is the proper size - my waist is a bit smaller and my chest a bit bigger than what is on Castelli's sizing chart for a Medium.
Quote Reply
Re: Castelli Aero Jersey 5.0 or Stealth T1 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Just placed my order for a Stealth T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I had similar fit measurements to you, then.

My waist was skinnier for the suit than my shoulders, but in the end the fit on the Medium was really good. Tight shoulders feel fast haha

That's also why I'm not sure I'd swim with it, even under the wetsuit. Don't want to stretch things out too much.

Hope this all helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think it would be reasonable/possible to wear the T1 under a wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the Medium was the proper call. I will be sure to post my impressions of the T1 when I get it in a week or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Castelli Aero Jersey 5.0 or Stealth T1 [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely possible, I just don't know if it would affect the aerodynamics/fit of the top. Stretching the arms might add wrinkles in the arms and shoulders, which I believe affect the aerodynamic gains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried to run in the Stealth? Just curious if it's comfortable

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The side entry pockets are my biggest reason for being interested in the jersey. I noticed them on Tim O'Donnell's kit recently. Seems like it would be much easier access.

nvas21 wrote:
No, I did not have to specify that I wanted a full length zip.

My guess is that this is the final production version of the top, with the Kona give-aways being more of a prototype model.

Check out the castelli website:
http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/1001/

^I got that exact same top, basically.

I have put it on while wet. The hardest part, as you can imagine, are the sleeves. It is doable, however, but takes a bit longer. I'm thinking of using plastic bags on the hands to help slip it on. It's something we did during high school swimming for those leg skins if we were still wet from warm-up. I think something that is overlooked on this top is the pockets in the back. I really like how they are and was surprised how much they could hold. About three gel flasks!
Quote Reply